Data Center Storage Failure, 11/21

Page 2 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 59 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 8770
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 4:29 AM

I can only imagine the frustration of Faithlife's technical team. Hang in there. My prayers are with you guys.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 24
Jason Harris | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 4:30 AM

"It is Sunday morning in Kenya. I don't appreciate being a second class citizen to my American Coleagues"

Yeah, Sunday in Australia comes a long time before Sunday in Logosland. But it's like Charlie Brown said: "You don't have to worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." ;)

Posts 8770
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 4:52 AM

Since this thread seems to be the primary communication thread during the Data Center Storage Failure situation is it possible that this can be temporarily made a sticky post on the top of the page?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 167
Jim Snowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 5:16 AM

Can we get something more helpful than the sad sheep page as a status page at logos.com. something that actually says what the problem is, the steps to be completed before it is back, and time estimates? At the moment it is not describing the real problem and the sheep gives the impression it is not a serious issue.

I don't know how many users actually read the forum but if they don't, all they can see is something very unhelpful.

Posts 279
Sean McIntyre | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 5:48 AM

Gao Lu:

Think of all the free books we will get when it comes back up!

not a chance

Posts 1921
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 6:10 AM

I hope they get it all back up ASAP.  There is no telling how much money will be lost over the course of the weekend due to the outage.  I feel like this has been a bad couple or three days for Logos (including the potential company growth solution that sparked some pretty heated debate and comments).  I think this will certainly make it more likely that this will never happen again.  Good luck to those working on it!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 8
Paul Coleman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 6:19 AM

With my own many years of IT background, I appreciate and understand the problems your team is facing. Thank you for burning the midnight oil to resolve the matter.

I did not even notice the problem -- my mobile apps continued to work without any apparent issues -- until I attempted to load up the Logos software on my laptop late last evening. Access, it seems, is prevented in situations such as this because the software often checks for and attempts to download any and all available updates before presenting the user with a usable study environment. If there is no connectivity or the download fails, the software does not open -- even after many minutes to hours of waiting. It may benefit from a code modification which will allow the software to run regardless internet connectivity. I am rarely "offline", and understood the software was supposed to maintain an offline copy of my library. To find differently adds a new wrinkle to my ministry plan using Logos. My intent was/is to utilize Logos in a rather rural setting and in many cases will not have Internet readily available. I would appreciate feedback regarding this matter and whether or not a background updating code change might be in the project works.

Posts 124
GeoPappas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 7:19 AM

Paul Coleman:
If there is no connectivity or the download fails, the software does not open -- even after many minutes to hours of waiting.

My understanding is that Logos should still work (even when offline).

I used Logos (on Windows 7) many times over the past few days.  The only thing I noticed that was different was a small yellow warning sign in the upper left corner of the app which stated "An error occurred during synchronization, click to try again."

What O/S are you using?  And which version of Logos?

Posts 5563
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 7:46 AM

Paul Coleman:
I am rarely "offline", and understood the software was supposed to maintain an offline copy of my library.

Logos does work offline. On the sign-in, if online isn't available, you should be able to sign in without using the internet.

There could be a problem when the Logos servers are available intermittently so the software "thinks" it can login but can't. In that case hold the control key down (Windows) as Logos loads and choose "work offline." That should put you back up and running.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 3
Samuel Leonor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 8:59 AM

Dit it ocur to you that you are on a different timeline?

Posts 80
LogosEmployee
Jim Straatman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 10:23 AM

Moving updates to this thread which does not have replies enabled, so status is easier to discover. 

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/96630/665802.aspx

Posts 623
JAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 11:16 AM

I don’t depend on any Faithlife products so haven’t had to make the kinds of evaluations that I would if I did. Churches, ministers of the word, working scholars and, students who do depend on Faithlife products are within their right to expect the highest levels of reliability. I hope reflection, and scrutiny of this incident, will lead to a broader understanding of the risks and a well-informed confidence that Faithlife is responsibly acting to mitigate them.

MJ. Smith:

... all the things you think of at home.

Faithlife has abstracted the library software in such a way that it is difficult if not impossible to assume individual responsibility for the integrity of an installed ‘library system’. I have assented to the fact that we will, probably, never again have the type of flexibility and security that the Libronix\LDLS provided with regard to installation, system level configuration, and local backup.

I have made a very substantial commitment and believe now that the ongoing value of this to me depends upon the ongoing success of Faithlife. My library of over 8000, including Perseus and about 100 other free, resources is a joy to use and I will certainly add to it. I have concerns though, which have tempered my enthusiasm. I am all in so far but am also prepared to cut my losses if needed.

Thank you Faithlife for consistently good products and great, almost two decades to me, customer service.

Thanks to all the individuals who regularly participate in the forums. MJ Smith you are constantly a voice for my interests and concerns. Denise I always read your posts with glee and you nudge my thinking in meaningful ways.

John McGovern:

God bless you Jim and the IT team at Logos.  I know these events can be physically and emotionally exhausting.  Hang in there!

Patrick Rietveld:

But it is also a miracle that many times it works! A miracle and a blessing: we don't need to do everything ourselves. We have each other. So let us enjoy and celebrate that.

Jim Straatman:

Moving updates to this thread which does not have replies enabled, so status is easier to discover. 

"The Christian mind is the prerequisite of Christian thinking. And Christian thinking is the prerequisite of Christian action." - Harry Blamires, 1963

Posts 787
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 11:24 AM

Patrick Rietveld:

MJ. Smith:

... all the things you think of at home.

Yes, you put things in a better perspective. Thanks!

I think the thing that makes us easily frustrated/angry is that we can't control these things anymore. We are so depedent on others that when something doesn't work as we want to.

Just came back from Tanzania for a workvisit. Everytime I am in Africa I realise that our abilities to control our life are much more limited then we think. Much more than just webservers. Turning back to stone tablets won't do the trick. We (or maybe it is just me) take much more for granted than we realize.

Suppose the power fails today? Suppose we can't shower us in clean drinkwater anymore (or drink it)? What to do if candles are finished? What to do when the gasbottle is empty and the shops don't have none (until nobody knows)? What to do when there is no good wokring public service for rubbish (like printer toners, toxic fluorescent bulbs, polypropyleen bags, shaving foam cans)? Just throw it on the street? Just burn it? Just bury it?

What to do if the bread that is sold is just another form of powder? What to do if the bus to the next city three hours down the road doesn't show up? What to do if it shows up but breaks down after one and a half hour?

I find it scary that I can't do much myself. I am scared that I depend so much on others. Frustrated, since so many times 'the others don't do as I like'. Scared, since people would think that also about me.

But it is also a miracle that many times it works! A miracle and a blessing: we don't need to do everything ourselves. We have each other. So let us enjoy and celebrate that.

This is the WORLD the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it.

That's when you move to Alaska and live off the land Smile

Posts 787
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 11:27 AM

MJ. Smith:

James Hiddle:

What caused the failure to begin with?

The hard drives (and a battery) failed just as they do on your home computer or laptop - wear, heat, manufacturing flaw ... all the things you think of at home.

Are you sure it wasn't a ton of Faithline employees overloading the servers while playing Angry Birds online Big Smile

Posts 168
Daniel NM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 12:47 PM

Jim Straatman:

Thank you, Mr. Straatman, for your devotedness to seeing that the Faithlife/Logos server infrastructure is fully restored. I sure do appreciate this as well as the communicated updates. SmileSmile

Praying for you all.

Blessings.

<!-- -->

Posts 3
Canon Vicars Hodge | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 5:11 PM

Jim

Prayers are being offered for you and your team - for wisdom and endurance during this time.  Logos is an amazing tool -- it is because it is so valuable to most of us that when it is down it feels like my left arm has been amputated.  The work all of you do at Logos really is a blessing to the Church -- to pastors and people everywhere.  So thank you.

A question -- could you set it up to move the templates that drive Visual Copy from the server to the local computers?  If that were so I would have been able to manage one of my projects while the server is down.   I suppose the same is true on some of the other datasets in Logos 6.  Having them reside on your server makes the use of L6 subject to your server being up -- and users being connected to the net.  That seems a bit shaky to me.

I am glad to see that you are working on an offsite mirror for the Logos system.  Expensive I'm sure -- but pretty important given how we have come to rely on Logos.  And lets face it -- this software is not inexpensive.  I just dropped $1500 on an upgrade from L5Gold to L6Platinum.  This is serious money and we need a reliable platform.

OK.... I feel better.  Having shared my angst -- let me repeat my assurance of prayer.... and my gratitude to you and your team who are no doubt putting in a very long weekend!

Vicars

Posts 80
LogosEmployee
Jim Straatman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 5:25 PM

Vicars,

Thank you for your prayers. They are very helpful and appreciated as we push through this event.

With respect to local visual copy templates, I'll defer that decision to our products team. I'm primarily responsible for growing the web infrastructure, so my focus will be continuing to improve the performance and availability of data center functions. I can see value in your suggestions not only during an outage, but also for someone working offline. When we have an opportunity to reflect on the event, we'll take your suggestion into consideration.

Again, thank you for your prayers and support.

Jim

Posts 80
LogosEmployee
Jim Straatman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 5:26 PM

Thank you, Daniel. We really appreciate your support.

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 6:47 PM

Thanks for all the hard work from you and your team to get everything up and running again:  Prayers and support as always......  Smile

Posts 80
LogosEmployee
Jim Straatman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 23 2014 6:50 PM

Thank you, David.

Page 2 of 3 (60 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS