Is it possible to get a "Bibleworks" style popup in Logos?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 24 2014 12:19 PM

Hi everyone.  I have two LOGOS related question for those familiar with Bibleworks:

1) One of the features I really like in Bibleworks is that when I hover over a Bible reference in a lexicon, the popup will display both the Greek/Hebrew and an English translation of the verse.  Is there anyway to mimic that feature in LOGOS?

2) For those of you who have used BDAG in both Logos and Bibleworks - which version do you prefer and why?

Thanks for the help.

Posts 2176
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 24 2014 12:33 PM

Answer to 1: go to tools and open an Information window. You can customize which resources show by clicking on settings in the Information window.

Answer to number 2. The text is the same, but I find searching BDAG alone is easier in Logos. Also placing several lexicons side by side is easier if I choose to do so. BDAG is an essential resource. I purchased it in Logos and received it free from BW when I beta tested the product for them many years ago. Would I purchase it twice? Tough call...

Once open you an get original language and much more information from either an English Reverse Interlinear text such as the ESV or an original language text.

Here is BDAG for your review and evaluation:

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 24 2014 1:24 PM

Dear John,

Thanks for the reply.  I still don't quite understand what to choose in "information settings".  I may have expressed my question poorly, so here is an illustration of what I want to do in LOGOS.  When I hover my mouse over a bible reference in a lexicon like BDB (even though you can't see it, my mouse was hovering over  Dt 33:21) the popup box will open the BHS, LXX and NAS to that verse. This is what I would like to mimic in LOGOS.

This is what I get when I open the settings for the "information" tool.  What do I choose?

Thank you again for your help.  It is very much appreciated.  

Posts 2176
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 24 2014 2:09 PM

Sorry I did not understand your question. In the BDAG example above, anything that is showing in Blue is a link that will pop up the resource if it is in your library. I am not aware of anyway to show more than one bible in the pop up. It will use your prioritized bible. The BDAG in Logos is also linked to other resources referenced other than the biblical texts.

Is this an example of what you are wanting?

Or you can have BDAG open along with Power Lookup and it will show everything that is linked to BDAG.

Posts 7919
LogosEmployee

Michael Sullivan:
One of the features I really like in Bibleworks is that when I hover over a Bible reference in a lexicon, the popup will display both the Greek/Hebrew and an English translation of the verse.  Is there anyway to mimic that feature in LOGOS?

Place your cursor over a verse and press F7. This opens the "Text Comparison" popup for that verse, which will show your top five Bibles. If you promote a Greek NT and Hebrew Bible within your top five, they will appear in that popup.

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 24 2014 2:50 PM

Thanks Bradley for this work around! 

Thanks John for your help and opinion.

Posts 2992
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 24 2014 3:52 PM

I believe you can also set the text comparison tool to follow along with you so if you click the reference you will see all top Bibles (top 5) in the tool.  Am I correct on that guys?

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Posts 87
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 8:58 AM

Thank you David.  I see how that works too.  It would be really great if LOGOS could add a "send hyperlinks here" button to Bible comparison.   I am hoping it would not be too hard to enable - considering you already have the ability to "follow" as you pointed out.  

Just an idea.

Posts 237
Alexxy Olu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 1:27 PM

Thank you all. I learnt quite a bit. The F7 bit is quite new to me.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS