Opinion on a Good Devotional Please

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 25 2014 5:45 AM

Hello All:

As the year is wrapping up, I need a new devotional.  The thing is this.  I tend to not be a devotional kind of person.  It is part of what I have to work on very hard in my teaching.  I love all the "technical" (for lack of a better word) part of the Word, and struggle with the more "warm and fuzzy" part of it.  I always tend to think that my job is to teach my students to love the Word enough to dig into it for themselves, and allow God to deal with the heart part.  I am not saying my thoughts are fully correct, I'm just saying that is what I struggle with.

Anyway, I am wrapping up a devotional plan and in looking for one next year, I see I don't really own great devotionals.  I don't like super short ones, and I don't like ones that don't have you read Bible text.  I also don't like all warm and fuzzy without pondering the depths of God.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good devotional.  One that might fit my needs and equally balance time in the Word with commentary that hits both the heart and the head?

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 3258
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 5:59 AM

Cynthia,

I would open library- type in subject:devotional- see what you have available.

After you make a couple choices "prioritize" them by right click and select prioritize. These should show up as your chosen devotionals on the home page.

I use MacArthur, R C Sproul, Charles Stanley and Chambers- this gives me a wide perspectives of thought.

Posts 1078
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 6:37 AM

I highly recommend Carson's For the Love of God [in Logos: Vol 1, Vol 2]. They are a really good balance for the heart and the head. 

I should mention that you can also get the pdfs for free if you'd rather: Vol 1, Vol 2

Posts 947
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 7:04 AM

I like Carson's work as well.

If you are looking for a pure devotional, I actually read three each day:  My Utmost for His Highest, Spurgeon's Morning and Evening and Moody's and Tozer on Christian Leadership.  I use them to spur on deeper thought or take me in a different way than I had been going.  They are not my deeper study materials.  FWIW, Tozer's work is a selection from his other works which drives me to the actual book the excerpt was taken from.  

Posts 57
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 7:06 AM

My Favorite: https://www.logos.com/product/8099/daily-treasures-from-the-word-of-god

It's not only a great devotional, it's a great starter for sermon and lesson ideas.

Bill

Posts 1931
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 25 2014 7:45 AM

Any devotionals that's charismatic style? (Joseph Prince, Joyce Meyers, etc..)

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 26 2014 5:16 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

Cynthia,

I would open library- type in subject:devotional- see what you have available.

After you make a couple choices "prioritize" them by right click and select prioritize. These should show up as your chosen devotionals on the home page.

I use MacArthur, R C Sproul, Charles Stanley and Chambers- this gives me a wide perspectives of thought.

Thank you!   When I did a search initially, I just typed in "devotional" and only got a few hits.  Your way returned a lot of really good products.

By far....searching in Logos is the main thing I wish I knew better!!!  Honestly, I wish someone made a cheat sheet!  I would laminate that thing and stick it to my desk!

Cynthia

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 26 2014 5:17 AM

William:

My Favorite: https://www.logos.com/product/8099/daily-treasures-from-the-word-of-god

It's not only a great devotional, it's a great starter for sermon and lesson ideas.

Bill

Okay, I have that...and I LOVE the look of it!  Thank you very much.  I will spend more time going through it, but I think that is the feel I was looking for!  THANKS!

Cynthia

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 26 2014 5:18 AM

William Gabriel:

I highly recommend Carson's For the Love of God [in Logos: Vol 1, Vol 2]. They are a really good balance for the heart and the head. 

I should mention that you can also get the pdfs for free if you'd rather: Vol 1, Vol 2

I hear that one is very good.  I'll look at the pdfs before making an investment in the Logos book.  Thanks so much!

Cynthia

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 26 2014 5:24 AM

Everett Headley:

I like Carson's work as well.

If you are looking for a pure devotional, I actually read three each day:  My Utmost for His Highest, Spurgeon's Morning and Evening and Moody's and Tozer on Christian Leadership.  I use them to spur on deeper thought or take me in a different way than I had been going.  They are not my deeper study materials.  FWIW, Tozer's work is a selection from his other works which drives me to the actual book the excerpt was taken from.  

Hello Everett:  I have done MUfHH and Spurgeon's and am currently using Moody's with my other one.  Just bought Tozer this year, so that is a possibility.  Like you, I have a couple open each day.  My main one is the Daily Reading (4 Volumes which I keep open together, it's a cross between a super light study and a devotional), and with that I have Moody and Ironside open for that little added oomph!  Thanks for the recommendations.

Cynthia

Posts 2241
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 26 2014 5:39 AM

Cynthia in Florida:

William Gabriel:

I hear that one is very good.  I'll look at the pdfs before making an investment in the Logos book.  Thanks so much!

I am almost finished with my second year of For the Love of God. Since I struggle with consistency I use 3 reminders. 1. I have the devotional as a LOGOS reading plan. I have my default (open to...) layout as a devotional with FTLOG and my preferred Bible. each day when I close the program I update to tomorrows reading and the related text then I UPDATE ACTIVE LAYOUT so when I open Logos it is right in front of me. Third, I subscribe to the daily email from the Gospel Coalitions devotional page. With 3 reminders I am a LOT more consistent.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 26 2014 5:43 AM

Calvin's Institutes.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 45
Joshua Yates | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 26 2014 5:48 AM

It's not in Logos, but my mainstay is called the Quiet Time Bible at: http://www.ivpress.com/bible/.  I picked up this Bible when I was in college years ago and it is no longer in print.  However, IVP puts the QTB posts up daily.  I copy the text into Evernote and I use Logos while doing the devotional in Evernote.  I like all kinds of devos, but this one isn't just about reading someone's nicely wrapped 1-5 minutes.  You put yourself in it.  

Anyway...that's a good one!

15" Macbook Pro Unibody (Early 2016) 2.7 GHZ Quad Core, OSX Mojave, 16 GB LPDDR3 RAM, 512 GB SD

Posts 898
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 26 2014 6:15 AM

Everett Headley:

... My Utmost for His Highest, Spurgeon's Morning and Evening and Moody's and Tozer on Christian Leadership.  I use them to spur on deeper thought or take me in a different way than I had been going.  They are not my deeper study materials.  FWIW, Tozer's work is a selection from his other works which drives me to the actual book the excerpt was taken from.  

For what it's worth, and for the sake of both affirmation and emphasis:  I second Everett's selections.  Additionally, I suggest that you create a layout specific to your devotions and link the books you use daily (provided they are "calendarized"), so that January 1st in Spurgeon will automatically give you January 1st in Chambers on the next tab.  I also have a Highlight pane open so that I can mark up my devotionals for subsequent reflection.  My layout looks like this:

"I read dead people..."

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 27 2014 9:43 AM

Brother Mark:

Everett Headley:

... My Utmost for His Highest, Spurgeon's Morning and Evening and Moody's and Tozer on Christian Leadership.  I use them to spur on deeper thought or take me in a different way than I had been going.  They are not my deeper study materials.  FWIW, Tozer's work is a selection from his other works which drives me to the actual book the excerpt was taken from.  

For what it's worth, and for the sake of both affirmation and emphasis:  I second Everett's selections.  Additionally, I suggest that you create a layout specific to your devotions and link the books you use daily (provided they are "calendarized"), so that January 1st in Spurgeon will automatically give you January 1st in Chambers on the next tab.  I also have a Highlight pane open so that I can mark up my devotionals for subsequent reflection.  My layout looks like this:

Looks Fabulous!  Thanks for the visual!  It helps a lot!

Cynthia

Posts 2985
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 27 2014 10:39 AM

Cynthia in Florida:
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good devotional. 

My favorite, by far, is Sproul's Before the Face of God. There are four volumes. I use them regularly, and like you, I'm not really a 'devotional kind of person.'

I'm not sure if they are available individually. IIRC, I got them in a package.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 82
Joseph | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 27 2014 10:56 AM

Cynthia in Florida:
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good devotional.  One that might fit my needs and equally balance time in the Word with commentary that hits both the heart and the head?

I am personally using "Connect the Testaments", written by John Barry and Rebecca Van Noord (Published by Faithlife's Lexham Press). The Logos version can be found here, and is included in most base packages. There is also a print version. Spiritually it is both solid meat (in terms of theological substance) and down to earth (in terms of style).  

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 27 2014 10:58 AM

Cynthia, I don't do devotionals, but I was looking at the 365 Day Devotional Commentary the other day, and it seems that it might be along the lines of something you might like.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 27 2014 11:13 AM

I also don't do devotionals, but the Daily Office is fairly good.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2985
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 27 2014 6:12 PM

I should also add that, while it is a monograph and not styled as a devotional, John Piper's 50 Reasons Why Jesus Came to Die makes an excellent devotional. The chapters are not long, but are more than a paragraph like some devotionals. It works well as a reading plan.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS