Logos 7 - What should it offer?

Page 4 of 14 (279 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 278 Replies | 20 Followers

Posts 2941
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 5:58 PM

I would suggest the ability of showing multiple resources on the information panel.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 592
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 6:02 PM

Fully integrate Faithlife Dating into Logos 7 search results for perfect link up Wink

Posts 56
David Achorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 6:16 PM

I would love the ability to group and/or categorize my layouts. 

Posts 1228
Ron | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 8:53 PM

Kevin Olson:
It would be great if you would do with Systematic Theologies what you have done with Ancient Literature in the passage guide.  Under the Topic Guide, and/or under the Factbook, please put a link to all the sections of the Systematic Theologies that are in your library for the given topic.

Yes

Francis:
6. Enable profiles for different users in the same family.

Yes

Posts 341
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 9:02 PM

How about a total overhaul of the code that underlies Logos for Mac so it runs more quickly? I.e., not slowly. 5 should have done this, 6 really should have... will 7?

Abram K-J: Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant
Blog: Words on the Word

Posts 92
Martin Diers | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 9:29 PM

Indexing databases on the end-user's PCs is wasteful, annoying, and too-easily breakable. Revamp indexing entirely such that all resources come pre-indexed, and individual resource indices are then collated into a master index on the user's computer. I realize this would be a major change - but something's gotta change here.

Performance. Performance. Performance. Now that .NET has been open sourced under the liberal MIT license, I'm expecting big things on the Mac side.

Posts 341
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 9:36 PM

Martin Diers:

Indexing databases on the end-user's PCs is wasteful, annoying, and too-easily breakable. Revamp indexing entirely such that all resources come pre-indexed, and individual resource indices are then collated into a master index on the user's computer. I realize this would be a major change - but something's gotta change here.

Performance. Performance. Performance. Now that .NET has been open sourced under the liberal MIT license, I'm expecting big things on the Mac side.

Yes! Agreed. I forgot to add "pre-indexed" to my post.

Posts 557
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 9:38 PM

Definitely overhaul the cited by tool. 

Create a way to search both the table of contents and the index of every book in the library.

I also agree with Martin - that the way indexing is done needs to change. I would love to see resources come pre-indexed.  

Posts 702
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 9:44 PM

Martin Diers:

I have assumed that Logos uses inverted indexes to allow for fast full-text searches. I have also assumed that each resource comes with its own forward index that has been pre-built and that only this forward index is being added to the local inverted index during the indexing process. In other words, I have assumed that each new resource is not being sequentially scanned to build a words/document file when this could be done at a one time cost on Logos servers. If this is not how it is currently being done, Logos is missing a major opportunity to improve performance.

Posts 3678
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 10:06 PM

Martin Diers:
Revamp indexing entirely

Yes see http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-6/suggestions/5088724-improve-logos-indexer-performance-allow-it-to-ind

Also, I am looking forward to the completion of some of the datasets that already exist, for instance the narrative flow charts.

Posts 107
Drew Hannay | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 10:09 PM

Martin Diers:

Performance. Performance. Performance.

Yes Performance is my number one wish. A close second: improvements to the quality of the Mac UI. The Logos UI design and attention to detail, especially on Mac, is not up to par (by a long shot!) with what I expect from an OS X application.

Posts 18669
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 10:30 PM

Ted Weis:

Fully integrate Faithlife Dating into Logos 7 search results for perfect link up Wink

Ha ha! Where have you been? I already have Faithlife Dating results in my search hits.

Posts 341
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 10:35 PM

Rosie Perera:

Ted Weis:

Ha ha! Where have you been? I already have Faithlife Dating results in my search hits.

Truly amazing.

Faithlife disclaimer: Please note that some relationships begun at Faithlife Dating could require frequent indexing for full functionality.

Posts 147
Willie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 11:03 PM

Thank you for the opportunity to share these suggestions.  I request Logos prioritize any update which would help reduce eye strain and benefit the healthy vision of its users.  Such updates would include but not be limited to the following: 

Logos 6:    

• Allow users the option of decreasing the brightness level and adjusting the color shade of any current Bible book cover icon.  Several Bible cover icons that were recently changed for Logos 6 (especially the ESV and LEB) are now so bright they are preventing me from comfortably focusing on the Bible text and are causing eye strain.  If it would be easier for Logos to accomplish, please simply restore all Bible icons that were recently changed back to their original Logos 5 appearance (design, color, and brightness level).  A third option would be to allow users to hide or "turn off" Bible book cover icons when the resource is opened.  (In addition to Bibles, there are several other resource icons to which this issue applies, but Bibles are a higher priority.)
  • Allow users the option of customizing the background color of individual resource panels and the font color that appears within them.  In my opinion, the current “White” background color is uncomfortably bright.  Among potential color options, I recommend various darker shades of white, a lighter shade of “Paper”, and a night mode with black background and green font.
  • Allow users to customize the background color within the pop-up window which appears when the mouse hovers over a cross reference within Bible text as well as the color, style, and size of the font used within the window.  Also, please include the option of increasing the overall size of this window.
  • Allow users to customize the panel background color and font color, style, and size within the Power Lookup Tool.
  • Allow users to set a highlighter color of their choice to display Search engine results.  I realize these highlights are intended to stand out within the text, but the current solid yellow/orange color is irritating for my eyes (especially when there are multiple hits in close proximity).  This issue is most evident with Search results for the “Library Results” section within “Factbook” searches which highlight nearly the entire first paragraph of the article.  This is visually overwhelming and in my opinion, unnecessary.
  • Allow users to set a highlighter color of their choice to display the “Links to Open Panels” visual filter.  Currently this visual filter is defaulted to a solid dark pink color which at times can be visually overwhelming.
  • When using “Print/Export”, please allow users to increase or decrease the font size and customize the font style of any resource (especially Bibles).  In Logos 5, I used Print/Export often to avoid hours of staring at a desktop computer screen.  This feature also allowed me to get up and walk around while reading printed text rather than setting for prolonged periods; however, I am no longer able to do this because the default font size in Logos 6 is uncomfortably small for my eyes and is unable to be changed.  Please also restore the option of adding Bible notes (literal renderings, alternate translations, or explanations), without cross references, to the footnotes section at the bottom of the printed page.
  • For the Copy Bible Verses tool, please allow users to add Bible notes without cross references to the footnotes section at the bottom of the page when exporting Bible chapters/passages to an MS Word document.

Logos Android App:

Please increase the font size for Bibles and all resources within the Logos Android App.  I have attempted to use this app on my Samsung Galaxy S-4, but the font scale slider will only adjust the font from microscopic to tiny to small.  The font would have to be significantly larger for this app to be of practical use for me.  Also, please provide font style options and increase the page turning speed of all resources within this app.  

Logos 7 Proposed Feature:

Please create an option to use a soft highlighter color of one’s choice which will highlight a particular Bible verse and scroll down (verse by verse) as one reads through the Bible. This verse highlighter would be controlled up or down by the keyboard arrow keys or the mouse wheel. (I have previously used this feature within WORDsearch and it significantly helped in reading text.)

Thank you!

Posts 3678
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 11:35 PM

I would really like it if Logos 40 could refill my cup with fresh, hot coffee whenever it empties (with a options for tea, cream, milk, sugar, sweetener in the settings). Also reading my thoughts (selectively) and arranging them neatly in paper format (with thesis statement, outline and SBL formatting) would be great. In fact a neural interface would be even better: think of something you want to do in Logos and it does it, without you having to remember syntax, commands and the likes. Something like the Star Trek computer or Jarvis in Ironman. Lastly, I want special 3D glasses and sensory gloves that take me into Atlases and infographics, allowing me to visit Israel, ancient lands and virtually manipulate ancient artifacts. Flashcards should also be upgraded for direct brain download Big Smile

Posts 18669
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 29 2014 11:37 PM

Abram K-J:

Rosie Perera:

Ted Weis:

Truly amazing.

Faithlife disclaimer: Please note that some relationships begun at Faithlife Dating could require frequent indexing for full functionality.

Note that couples who meet via Faithlife Dating and subsequently marry can share their installation of Logos on multiple computers.

Posts 1507
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 1:47 AM

Fr Devin Roza:

1. Most importantly, create an advanced search builder. I would imagine this working with "columns" that are connected by search operators like AND / OR / WITHIN, etc. Each column could begin with a dropdown that lets you choose the type of info (text, Milestone, PassageList, Morph, Clause, greek word, hebrew word, etc.). After choosing from the dropdown, depending on the option chosen, other boxes would appear to the right that would correspond to the options of that particular option / search extension.

Maybe this is obvious, but I actually meant "rows" instead of columns. So, each row would be one section of the search, connected to the next row by AND, OR, etc. 

Something like this, if well done, could actually eliminate the need to even have multiple search tabs (Basic, Bible, etc.). I'm not sure if having only one search tab would actually be a good idea... but that is something that could be explored by the design teams - with the search extensions, at least, it is no longer a necessity, so it would be a good time to reconsider how search should work with these new possibilities opened up by search extensions.

Posts 94
Rokas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 3:04 AM

Graphical search engine would be very nice.

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 3:38 AM

Rokas:

Graphical search engine would be very nice.

I agree!Yes

And, a graph results feature for Syntax searches!

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 172
Philip Bassham | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 30 2014 9:42 PM
  1. What if you just integrated Evernote search in with the basic search? No syncing/import/export, just being able to display search results, and see the Evernote note. And have it display under its own little heading the same way it works for Sermonaudio, Graceway Media, etc. 

The reason this would be awesome, is because while Logos has all the published info I'd ever want, Evernote contains everything from everywhere else that I have run across. Saved articles, personal notes ive taken, scans, etc etc. So, having this would basically allow me to search everything I have gathered in right in Logos.

And since Evernote integrates with 1000 other services, this would make adding content extremely flexible.

2. Add a user interface for Boolean searches to make complicated searches easier. Similar to how it is in the Finder on the mac.

Page 4 of 14 (279 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS