Logos by Subscription?

Page 5 of 5 (91 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 90 Replies | 13 Followers

Posts 588
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 9:06 AM

Here's one way that I could see subscription beneficial--Logos linked to my Preaching Today illustration subscription.

Posts 21
Nicholas Hatch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 10:15 AM

Perhaps rental should only be available for the lower end packages with fewer features that are aimed more at lay persons in the pew.  This would make it far easier for the average pastor to recommend that congregants try out the software for use in personal study and increase the odds that they would have logos apps on their devices to use in conjunction with Proclaim's broadcast features.  Higher packages (those aimed at pastors, academics, and theologians) should remain desktop based only.  Logos could then advertise full functionality of the desktop packages to people who are experiencing the value of the software through the subscription model.  

Logos could also make this a rent-to-own model, where you pay a subscription type monthly fee, but where you receive the full desktop software once you have subscribed for a set number of months (i.e. I want the starter base package, and I subscribe at a $20/month rate, after 18 months, I own starter!)  This would allow for Logos to still incentivize base package purchases with a lower price, but still offer a good deal for those for whom an initial $300 dollar outlay would be a real struggle.

Posts 821
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 10:37 AM

I have Platinum plus a number of resources I've bought over the years, a total of nearly 4000 resources. I'm a working pastor who also does some academic work. I think there are places where rental options would be useful, and have tried to summarise these briefly below: 

1. I have a pretty good selection of commentaries (the main gap for me is the BECNT series and I'm buying them piecemeal as I work on Bible  books). I can see it being useful to be able to rent a range of commentaries on a particular book for a period of a few months. To be able to rent (say) the top five commentaries on a particular book of the Bible would be a low-cost way of accessing high-quality commentary resources. 
  2. Alumni of my college get lifetime access to the ATLA journals database. I think it would be worth offering journals access on a subscription basis, but only if the most recent issues of those journals were included. I generally need to find up-to-date journal articles, and the way journals are currently offered by Logos doesn't really work for me. It won't be popular with some as it would only work online,  but tying the ATLA database into Logos search online would be really useful for me. This could be tied into ATLA access as a subscription product offered through Logos, but would also provide seminary students who have such access with a useful tool for writing papers. It would also please their professors who probably constantly press them to look in journals as well as text books!  
  3. I know others have been rather dismissive of the "Netflix" approach, and I agree it wouldn't really work with academic and pastoral resources. It would work well with Vyrso books though, and might also work well with some devotional resources, although they'd probably need to be configured for different traditions - many users of devotionals change the ones they use quite regularly. Although I have no desire to read large amounts of Amish fiction or Christian self-help (an oxymoron!) books, I am sure there are some who would love it and be happy to pay for it. Before anyone gets upset, I do buy some Vyrso books, but mainly of the type that subsequently get turned into Logos resources. 

I don't really think a subscription model would work for my base package, but might be of use as a way of attracting new customers without the high initial cost, which I assume is what is attracting Bob to the idea. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 10:52 AM

Nicholas Hatch:
Logos could also make this a rent-to-own model, where you pay a subscription type monthly fee, but where you receive the full desktop software once you have subscribed for a set number of months (i.e. I want the starter base package, and I subscribe at a $20/month rate, after 18 months, I own starter!)  This would allow for Logos to still incentivize base package purchases with a lower price, but still offer a good deal for those for whom an initial $300 dollar outlay would be a real struggle.

I get the idea but your example is skewed. Your starter rent-to-own price is cheaper than an 18 month payment plan. Why would anyone buy it when renting is cheaper?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 21
Nicholas Hatch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 11:09 PM

18x$20 would be $360 vs a $300 up front purchase price, so the company makes a little bonus for extending the payments out, and people get an opportunity to try software they might not otherwise even look at because of the price.  

Maybe you see something I don't?

Posts 2037
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 5 2014 5:06 AM

Nicholas, this part sounds like good logic:

Nicholas Hatch:
Perhaps rental should only be available for the lower end packages with fewer features that are aimed more at lay persons in the pew.  This would make it far easier for the average pastor to recommend that congregants try out the software for use in personal study and increase the odds that they would have logos apps on their devices to use in conjunction with Proclaim's broadcast features.  Higher packages (those aimed at pastors, academics, and theologians) should remain desktop based only.  Logos could then advertise full functionality of the desktop packages to people who are experiencing the value of the software through the subscription model.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 237
Alexxy Olu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 5 2014 12:20 PM

I prefer to continue to buy-to-own and build my library as I have done over the years.

So, please continue with the present buy-and-own-it model, with building-your-own-library at your own pace as it is now.  

In addition, appropriately priced subscription models may then be added,

Examples:

• User-configurable package where the user can choose what resources should add up to a package he desires to buy-and-own / subscribe to and own later / or to rent.
  • Making the various base packages available for subscription and for rent at very low rates.
  • Making those very expensive commentary sets and topical bundles available for subscription or rent may appeal to some people too.

Building a library of resources for a life-time journey of faith cannot be equated with renting music and movies which are essentially for entertainment at very cheap subscription rates.

Need I say that for the true follower of Christ, bible study is a serious life-time commitment and this is why many of us have invested and will continue to invest so much of our scarce funds in bible study software like Logos bible software and other needed resources.

So as Faithlife continues to seek various avenues of adding more paying users to the current customer, the needs of the current base of paying users should be taken into serious consideration too.  

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 5 2014 1:06 PM

Nicholas Hatch:
18x$20 would be $360 vs a $300 up front purchase price, so the company makes a little bonus for extending the payments out,

I was thinking of the purchase payment plan with its $5 monthly fee.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 5 2014 2:07 PM

Hi Bob,

Can you email your phone number to me at nparker[at]mallardcomputer[dot]com and some days/times you'd be free for a phone conversation (I've got Final Exams Monday and Tuesday, but I'll have more free time after that). It might be easier to just give you my feedback in a phone conversation instead of spilling it all here.

I will say this, I have though LONG and HARD about subscription and SAAS models in how they would pertain to Bible software. I've carefully thought out the details from the end user standpoint, the publisher's standpoint, how books are accessed, what a customer's data would involve if they decided to "leave", etc. I think I've cracked a few ways it could be a win win for everyone involved. I'd love to share it with you.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 19
Little Ike | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 5 2014 9:26 PM

I am only interested in buying to own.  The last thing I would want to do is having a monthly subscription, and I get hooked on a resource just before it goes off the subscription list.  Now the money I have spent on a subscription would come in handy to buy the resource so I can continue to have access to it.  Put me in the buy to own column.

Posts 2299
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 6 2014 5:13 AM

Little Ike:
 and I get hooked on a resource just before it goes off the subscription list.  

Does not sound like a book that you would have bought just by reading the description or a quick review.  You had to use it before you found that you needed it.

[ [hypothetical questions] How long [hypothetically] did you have it before you realized that you wanted to keep it? Was it just one hidden treasure in a large package? If you had not [hypothetically] 'subscribed' how would you ever know that you 'needed' it?]

Maybe not a subscription but might be a rent to try situation.   [I am in the might rent some column or if a six month subscription for a very large package might try it]

Page 5 of 5 (91 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS