Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 38 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 3:25 PM

No ..... then you'd loose all your downloaded books, if you uninstalled the app.

Double-hitting the control button and then fingering them 'up'  (just to be clear).  Removing them from the background.  As iOS does when you run out of operating memory.

EDIT:  You updated your comments.  The 'accidental' is if the app is still in memory (background), and you accidentally slide it into the foreground, thereby allowing a sync.   I don't think I've ever accidentally started up the app.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 5619
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 3:46 PM

Denise:
EDIT:  You updated your comments.

Yes, I'm a re-editor. Geeked

Denise:
Double-hitting the control button and then fingering them 'up'  (just to be clear).

Okay, good.   As it has been shown that killing the app doesn't prevent it from returning to the same location (at least for others), I won't press the point.  It seems you are having issues others aren't.

So have you ever started up the app while the iPad was online since you upgraded to 4.4?  If not I might suggest it.  The Bible! beta release notes: indicated: "Internal changes related to how resource metadata is stored. This will eliminate the need to update downloaded resources when only metadata has changed. The first run after updating may take up to 20 seconds per 100 downloaded resources to upgrade."  I assume that's still applicable even though it's not noted in the App Store version history for Vyrso or Noet.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 4:02 PM

No, can't say as I have (since as you point out, they kind of left it out).  I have downloaded books, etc but I don't know if that involves sync'ing for 20 seconds.

I'll try it out.  And then throw in the towel at least on the iOS forum.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 4:21 PM

Okie, dokie.  Seems to work.  Though the black stripe of death remains a mystery.

Plus I've no idea why I need 2700 metadata pieces for 4 books in my iOS library.  But we'll leave that for another day.

Thank you, Todd.

Posts 5619
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 4:50 PM

Denise:

Okie, dokie.  Seems to work.  Though the black stripe of death remains a mystery.

Plus I've no idea why I need 2700 metadata pieces for 4 books in my iOS library.  But we'll leave that for another day.

Thank you, Todd.

Good. When you says "seems to work" what are you referring to?

Does the app now open to the same place you left it?  You're still getting the black bar every time?

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 5:20 PM

The part about returning to my 'last read' works great, after I select the book (which I always have to do, but ok).

The 'black stripe of death' remains a curiousity for which (no offense) I've given up on.  After going to my 'last read' with book opening (good), turning to the next page brings up the black stripe of death.  Why? I've no clue.  If I turn the page forward again, the stripe seems to have given up the chase.

However if I move to the abbreviations section of a book (usually near the front), page forward to let it get its bearings (the black stripe of death re-assures me by popping up), then going back to where I was previously, seems to not involve the stripe guy.

Best I can figure, he says 'Ok, this is your first page turn. Let's not forget that!'  Now, he does have the 'X' to close the popup, but he closes anyway. So?  I guess, I'm trying to understand what kind of coding it's pursuing!

But again, appreciate your patience and follow-up.  Off to Country Music Christmas!!

Posts 29255
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 7:48 PM

For the moment, let's forget about how it is functioning for you. The black "toast" pop up should only appear when the app recognizes that you were at a DIFFERENT location on ANOTHER device. Any chance that is happening to you? Also, in defense of how it is supposed to work... The prescribed behavior is superior to kindle. The kindle sync is always and only to the furthest read location rather than the last read one. In other words, if you move from a to c to b, the kindle app <should> take you to c, whereas the logos apps <should> take you to b. Emphasis on "should". Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 8:15 PM

Well, on my own apps (Logos), I've pretty much given up understanding the black stripe of death.  It's pretty much disappeared for now (I'm reading in two Logos apps at the same time).  So, the behavior above has disappeared (remembering the next page).

Regarding your question, both apps are using books downloaded to the respective apps. L5 doesn't know about them.  So the black stripe only has the specific book on 1 app to work with.

Regarding your comment on Kindle, which one are you using?  I'm using the iPad one.  At the bottom is the progress bar with my last 3 'stops'.  I like that A LOT.  Plus Kindle lets you use page markers.  My PaperWhite is more basic; page marker or furtherest read (as you said).

No offense meant to the Logos app, but when I started up Noet a few minutes ago, he returned me to the abbreviations section (where I was testing earlier), even though I had gone back to reading later in the book.  It wasn't practical to search around for highlights, so I took a stab at the TOC and then guessed about where I should have been.  I'd of loved the little dots on the Kindle progress bar (and L4/L5/L6).

The Logos app does have favorites but unfortunately I can't tell which book the abbreviations are for (outside going there).   The apps share the favorites, so it's a jungle of abbreviations.

Anyway, appreciate you asking.

Posts 5619
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 8:35 PM

alabama24:

For the moment, let's forget about how it is functioning for you. The black "toast" pop up should only appear when the app recognizes that you were at a DIFFERENT location on ANOTHER device. Any chance that is happening to you? Also, in defense of how it is supposed to work... The prescribed behavior is superior to kindle. The kindle sync is always and only to the furthest read location rather than the last read one. In other words, if you move from a to c to b, the kindle app <should> take you to c, whereas the logos apps <should> take you to b. Emphasis on "should". Smile

It should be superior, but I have a feeling it's not working correctly.

I was opening the same book on both my iPhone and iPad and computer, and was having great difficult getting the further read location to sync. I would close the iOS app while using it on another device, and open it after changing location elsewhere.  I was not seeing the toast (I prefer "pop-tart" Stick out tongue), and the location would not change. I finally saw it when I paged backwards on my iPad, which doesn't make sense.

Posts 452
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 9:06 PM

I expect and desire all of my apps to re-open in the same place that I left them UNLESS I close the app by swiping up in the multitask menu. When I do that, I expect that it will re-open in a virgin state—at the home page or whatever is the default. This is normal behavior on iOS.

You may want to give this a read: http://www.speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 1 2014 10:16 PM

Mitchell:

I expect and desire all of my apps to re-open in the same place that I left them UNLESS I close the app by swiping up in the multitask menu. When I do that, I expect that it will re-open in a virgin state—at the home page or whatever is the default. This is normal behavior on iOS.

You may want to give this a read: http://www.speirs.org/blog/2012/1/2/misconceptions-about-ios-multitasking.html

Mitchell, 

Thanks for posting this - here's a followup post: http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/01/fact-or-myth-killing-apps-in-the-ios-multitasking-bar-boosts-performance 

This same topic has been discussed in the Android forums, the relevant link being http://www.howtogeek.com/127388/htg-explains-why-you-shouldnt-use-a-task-killer-on-android/ .

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 2 2014 6:18 AM

Well, judging from Kevin checking out other sites, the 'toast' is pretty toast.  They need to get back to good coding.

I'll skip this update on my Bible!.

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 2 2014 6:20 AM

Denise:

I'll skip this update on my Bible!.

Me too! The biggest disappointment for me is the VoiceOver support is now completely gone. That was the most used feature for me and now it's gone so I will hold off on any future updates until that is fixed.

Posts 24535
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 2 2014 6:23 AM

Timothy Taylor:
Me too! The biggest disappointment for me is the VoiceOver support is now completely gone. That was the most used feature for me and now it's gone so I will hold off on any future updates until that is fixed.

Just wanted to flag Kevin's post at https://community.logos.com/forums/p/97127/669790.aspx#669790 where he states that VoiceOver was never supported for use with the Logos apps - but that he is submitting a request to try and find out why it no longer works.

Posts 3051
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 2 2014 7:31 AM

Todd Phillips:
games like Minecraft

Minecraft?  Oh, Todd....

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 5619
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 2 2014 9:25 AM

Doc B:

Todd Phillips:
games like Minecraft

Minecraft?  Oh, Todd....

Not me.  My daughters.

Posts 506
Tim Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 2 2014 10:04 AM

Graham Criddle:

Just wanted to flag Kevin's post at https://community.logos.com/forums/p/97127/669790.aspx#669790 where he states that VoiceOver was never supported for use with the Logos apps - but that he is submitting a request to try and find out why it no longer works.

Thanks for making me aware of this, Graham. I have also posted a thread that outlines how Logos really should support VoiceOver. Kindle does it, many other apps do it, etc. Also I just posted a UserVoice Suggestion for this and shared it with my classmates who I know also want this and already we have over 45 votes! Let's keep the votes coming!

Posts 83
John Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 2 2014 11:14 AM

I agree with Timothy and the others that are requesting VoiceOver support again. Unfortunately my app automatically upgraded on both my iPhone and iPad and now I can't use VoiceOver. How disappointing! I hope the Logos team will quickly resolve this problem! All of us have spent a lot of money for our Logos Libraries and it would be a shame to no have this feature available. I wish I would have never upgraded to this new version.. Please FIX this issue ASAP. Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 (39 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS