16 more question about L4

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 58
MarCya Mooney | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 15 2010 12:18 AM

Please do not let my larger font scare you or make you think I am yelling - I have NOT typed in all caps and I have a severe sight problem so it makes it easier for me to type if I can actually see as I type!

1.     Where can I find a key or legend of all the icons in Logos 4?

2.    How do I get the words to “wrap” on all the books in the columns?  The bibles will wrap but the other books do not!

3.     How do I delete the annual bible reading from a particular bible and make it stop emailing me after I have chosen a different bible to study?

4.    Can I access the internet directly from L4 without opening my internet explorer first?

5.    How do I set up a prayer list in L4?

6.    How do I clear the visual bookmarks that I don’t want, but keep the ones I do?

7.    How do I spell check in the notes or prayer lists?

8.    Is there a “BACK” arrow somewhere so that I don’t have to keep going out of the program and coming completely back in to where I left off - every time I leave the page?

9.    I didn’t find the training videos very helpful – they mostly speak about what L4 will do but are not very clear on HOW it’s done - Are there free training videos that are more helpful?  Like the ones I had for the older versions?  I don’t feel like spending any more money on L4!

10.Why will L4 NOT keep my notes and annual readings list on all the bibles?  They are only on the bible I happen to be working on at the time? Is there a way to change that?

11.When I want to add a note to a book or bible – do I always have to first go create the note title page then go back to my study and add the note?  That seems very backward and difficult if so.

12.Is there a way I can keep certain note titles available on my preferred bible at all times so that I can easily add notes without searching for them first?

13.Why do I have to click the “A” link every time I open the program – they don’t seem to save?

14.How can I save the page set up that I am working on right now – go look up something else and then come right back to where I was at without taking 15 minutes to set up the pages again?  I just want to be able to come right back to my study page after drifting off onto another study somewhere else for a bit.  (I tend to do that often)

15.Can you please give me a list of updates you are planning in the next two years, and when we can expect to see them on our system? AND do I have to pay yet again for these updates?

16.And finally, after last night’s LONG update from Logos – I am finally able to keep the KJV bible as the preferred on the exegetical word-by-word study.  So I do believe there was something wrong with the program that they fixed!  Thank you Logos – I could have saved myself several hours of heartache had your tech support just said so in the first place!

Posts 18812
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 1:04 AM

I'll take a stab at some of these... someone else can answer the others. I've got to get back to work, and stop procrastingating on the forum!

MarCia Mooney:

1. Where can I find a key or legend of all the icons in Logos 4?

Doesn't exist yet. Some of us are working on it over at the Wiki; keep a watch on the Logos Visual Glossary

MarCia Mooney:

2. How do I get the words to “wrap” on all the books in the columns? The bibles will wrap but the other books do not!

I'm not sure I know what you mean here.

MarCia Mooney:

3. How do I delete the annual bible reading from a particular bible and make it stop emailing me after I have chosen a different bible to study?

I didn't know Logos would email you a Bible reading reminder so I have no idea what you're talking about. You can remove old Bible reading plans by deleting them in your File menu (right click on them and choose delete).

MarCia Mooney:

4. Can I access the internet directly from L4 without opening my internet explorer first?

That depends. What do you want to do on the Internet from L4? Logos is not a web brower and does not have one built in, so you can't view web pages in Logos. There is web content that it can search (e.g. from topics.logos.com and sermoncentral.com, and other sermon sites), but to view that content, you do have to go to a browser. However, Logos will open the browser for you if you click on a link to some web content from within Logos.

MarCia Mooney:

5. How do I set up a prayer list in L4?

That isn't implemented yet in L4. See the list of missing features from L3 coming soon in L4.

MarCia Mooney:

6. How do I clear the visual bookmarks that I don’t want, but keep the ones I do?

I don't think you can.

MarCia Mooney:

7. How do I spell check in the notes or prayer lists?

There's no spell check in Logos.

MarCia Mooney:

8. Is there a “BACK” arrow somewhere so that I don’t have to keep going out of the program and coming completely back in to where I left off - every time I leave the page?

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. If you leave the program (e.g., to go to a browser to view some web content) then Logos no longer has control of what you're doing and can't present you with a BACK arrow to get back to Logos. However in Windows, you can navigate easily back and forth between different programs you have running by pressing Alt+Tab.

MarCia Mooney:

9. I didn’t find the training videos very helpful – they mostly speak about what L4 will do but are not very clear on HOW it’s done - Are there free training videos that are more helpful? Like the ones I had for the older versions? I don’t feel like spending any more money on L4!

Are you talking about the training videos on the Logos website? Have you watched all of them? http://www.logos.com/videos Also, have you seen all the user-generated videos on the Wiki? Some of them go into way more depth in explaining how to do things than the official Logos training videos do. http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Video_Tutorials

MarCia Mooney:

10.Why will L4 NOT keep my notes and annual readings list on all the bibles? They are only on the bible I happen to be working on at the time? Is there a way to change that?

You can turn on/off whether L4 shows the readings using the Visual Filter menu (the icon with the three interlocking colored circles). Click the icon to drop down the menu and it will show your Bible Reading Plan there and you can click to turn on or off the checkmark.

MarCia Mooney:

11.When I want to add a note to a book or bible – do I always have to first go create the note title page then go back to my study and add the note? That seems very backward and difficult if so.

You only need to have one Notes File. Once you've created one, you can add more notes to it by right clicking on the book or Bible at the place where you want to add the note and selecting, Add a note to "My Notes File" (or whatever you've called it).

MarCia Mooney:

12.Is there a way I can keep certain note titles available on my preferred bible at all times so that I can easily add notes without searching for them first?

I'm not sure I know what you mean here. See my answer to #11. Use one notes file and right-click to add notes to it, then you won't have to be constantly searching for note titles.

MarCia Mooney:

13.Why do I have to click the “A” link every time I open the program – they don’t seem to save?

The link sets do get saved with Layouts. You need to learn more about layouts and be using those for setting up your window layout to do Bible study. There are videos on this in both of the places I've linked to above.

MarCia Mooney:

14.How can I save the page set up that I am working on right now – go look up something else and then come right back to where I was at without taking 15 minutes to set up the pages again? I just want to be able to come right back to my study page after drifting off onto another study somewhere else for a bit. (I tend to do that often)

Layouts.

MarCia Mooney:

15.Can you please give me a list of updates you are planning in the next two years, and when we can expect to see them on our system? AND do I have to pay yet again for these updates?

There's no way they can or will do this. They probably don't even know themselves. They flex a lot in their plans for what updates to do based on user feedback. And even if they do have a grand plan (which they probably do), it would be giving away too much strategic info to make that public too far in advance. It would also risk getting users very disappointed if Logos didn't keep up to the schedule they'd released. You can see what's on the list for the next couple of quarters at that "missing features" page I linked to above.

MarCia Mooney:

16.And finally, after last night’s LONG update from Logos – I am finally able to keep the KJV bible as the preferred on the exegetical word-by-word study. So I do believe there was something wrong with the program that they fixed! Thank you Logos – I could have saved myself several hours of heartache had your tech support just said so in the first place!

Wonderful!

Posts 225
Michael Birney | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 7:13 AM

Rosie has done a good job of answering your questions.

I'd just add that the layouts menu (far right top, next to the ?) can be a big help, and would seem to answer a few of your questions.  Make the layout you like, then save it by renaming it from "snapshot 9:16 am" to "bible study", or whatever you want.  Then it is saved and you can go back to it when you shuffled things around an you want that layout back.  I think that might be the back button you are looking for.

I would encourage you to take a second look at the videos.  If you watch them and do exactly what they are doing as they do it, pause and rewind as necessary, they can will be very helpful.   

Posts 223
Jeremy White | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 9:32 AM

On question 15 you asked about having to pay for any updates - the short answer would be no. In reality, the basic version of the Logos software is actually free - what you pay money for is for the books and other resources you want to include on the platform.

A song I wrote and recorded : He Who Sits Upon The Throne

Posts 58
MarCya Mooney | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 11:25 AM

Thanks to all who attempted to answer my many questions!  I do appreciate your help.  May I please clairify two of the question that didn't seem to make sense to anyone!

On Question 2. I probably didn’t make myself very clear… What I mean by word wrap is – whatever the size of the column you use to view your book – the words will wrap around to the next line so you can read the whole thing without maximizing the screen.  Like the bibles do.  Most of the books I have used do not wrap so I have to constantly maximize the screen to read the whole script.

On Question 10. About the note files maybe I am the only one that has hundreds of notes and name each one so they are easier to fine.  i.e. Vocabulary words, Promises from God, Trinity, Salvation, etc… I don’t make all my notes in ONE file because it would be a nightmare to try and fine them again. 

What I want is to be able to do is start a new note on a different subject at anytime – without leaving my study, opening the note file – naming it – getting out of it – going back to my study – highlighting the text and adding a note to the new file.  This just seems SO backward and time consuming compared to the old way!  Am I doing it wrong or is there a quicker way?

*again, forgive the large type - I am NOT yelling - just have a hard time reading small type and this saves me time.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 11:38 AM

Marcia, you mention "leaving my study"

- Just to be sure: you are aware that you can have a "notes' window open right beside your study? Either in a New Tab or in a Floating Window? To see this option go to File/Notes (and then right-click on notes).

Marcia, as I do not use notes much, you will please forgive me if you are already aware of this option or have disregarded it because of visibility needs etc.

Regards

Steve

Regards, SteveF

Posts 27413
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 6:49 PM

MarCia Mooney:
On Question 10. About the note files maybe I am the only one that has hundreds of notes and name each one so they are easier to fine.  i.e. Vocabulary words, Promises from God, Trinity, Salvation, etc… I don’t make all my notes in ONE file because it would be a nightmare to try and fine them again. 

I think a number of us have hundreds or even thousands of notes. I put my notes into note files that tell me the type of note - structural notes, intertextual notes,  content questions, application questions , etc. Within each file, I title the notes themselves. When I go to add a note I need to have the appropriate file(s) open so I can select the correct one. I need to interrupt my study only when I need to create a new file. Logos is aware that some of us want better control on sequencing our notes within a file and expand/contract capabilities, but for now the "My Content" works to find all the relevant notes.

Does this help?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27413
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2010 7:08 PM

MarCia Mooney:
On Question 2. I probably didn’t make myself very clear… What I mean by word wrap is – whatever the size of the column you use to view your book – the words will wrap around to the next line so you can read the whole thing without maximizing the screen.  Like the bibles do.  Most of the books I have used do not wrap so I have to constantly maximize the screen to read the whole script.

Can you give me an example of a book that does not wrap? The books I tried all wrapped when I used the slider to enlarge them. However, the Passage Guide behaved as you described ... we need to check with Logos for their accommodations for sight, sound and color.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS