OT- Windows 7

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3287
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 15 2010 3:52 AM

I am in the process of getting Win 7- is it better to do a "totally" clean re-install of resources, or take a clone of my present HD and install?

Posts 2809
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 4:01 AM

A new OS is best installed clean. But I've heard Win7 upgrade is the best upgrade process they have done. So it may not be that bad to try it out. If you have problems you can just start over later on. But if you don't mind I would do a clean install.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 4:12 AM

I did a clean install over Vista when 7 came out and it worked great. A number of "quirks" my computer had vanished. While I still had to install programs (gave me a chance to evaluate what I really wanted to use) it moved all of my files to a folder titled Windows.old; I would still do a backup to an external HD though, just in case something go corrupted as stuff moves around.

Posts 3287
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 4:16 AM

Should I get the "update version" or the "full version", since I will be requesting the disc, not the dwnlld.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 4:19 AM

if you are installing it over Vista or XP get the upgrade. If you are building a new computer or want to be able to move the copy later to a new computer get the full version.

Posts 3287
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 4:39 AM

thanks guys Big Smile

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 4:47 AM

Quick Q:

Is Win 7 the same as older versions of windows in that you don't necessarily HAVE to have the old OS installed..you just have to have the serial number handy....and the software will do a full install; in other words...even if you just buy the upgrade....it really is a full install disk....but at some point it will ask you what your old serial number was...

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2809
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 5:38 AM

Kevin Becker:
I did a clean install over Vista when 7 came out and it worked great.

Just to clarify, doing a "clean install" "over Vista" is impossible since a clean install using commonly used vernacular is installing the OS on a hard drive that does not have an operating system on it. That is what I mean by doing a clean install.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 5:46 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
Just to clarify, doing a "clean install" "over Vista" is impossible since a clean install using commonly used vernacular is installing the OS on a hard drive that does not have an operating system on it. That is what I mean by doing a clean install.

That's right. I should have been more precise in my terminology. I did the non-upgrade route, which did not preserve any programs or settings.

Posts 198
Bryan Brodess | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 6:08 AM

If you buy the upgrade, you have two options,

1: If you have vista, you may either install as un upgrade without remocving vista, Or completely remove vista and do a clean install (recommended)

2. If you have XP, you will have to do a clean install. I am not sure if they have it fixed yet, But I did this, and had to have microsofts help because it stated I did not have a upgrade, even though the package said XP to win 7 was a legal upgrade. (Note, Also because I was going to win 64, if I just did the 32 bit upgrade I was fine.. But wanted 64 bit so had to the hastle of dealing with microsoft)

the difference is 100 dollars between new and upgrade..

It is not like XP where you just put in a 98 disk and it recognized it.. It was harder,, but still worth it.. ( Again might be because I was going from 32 to 64 bit.. I had no problems with the 32 bit, was relatively painless)

Posts 3287
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 6:40 AM

OK- just took the plunge- doing upgrade now- if there is a scream that is heard aorund the World- its just me Surprise

Posts 198
Bryan Brodess | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 6:58 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

OK- just took the plunge- doing upgrade now- if there is a scream that is heard aorund the World- its just me Surprise

Praying for ya Bro!!  lol

Posts 741
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 8:20 AM

I ALWAYS do a clean install. Longer investment of time, but worth it.

On two machines, I have had the same experience: L4 runs far more smoothly and quicker on Win7. I never used Vista. So from XP to Win7 anyway, my experience has been remarkable. L4 has become even more fun and productive for me. Sometimes I just fire it up to watch how fast it goes. Seriously.

Jerry

iMac (2019 model), 3Ghz 6 Core Intel i5, 16gb Ram, Radeon Pro Graphics. 500GB SSD.

Posts 3287
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 10:33 AM

SUCCESS!!!!!

But L4 is a little sluggish on my larger studies where I have many lexicons and comm's open.

Posts 9433
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 10:39 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:
But L4 is a little sluggish on my larger studies where I have many lexicons and comm's open.

I noticed an improvement when I upgraded to W7 from Vista. However I did do a complete reinstall and went from 32-bit to 64-bit.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3731
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 10:43 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

I am in the process of getting Win 7- is it better to do a "totally" clean re-install of resources, or take a clone of my present HD and install?

Just for fun, I'd vote neither: when your old PC gives up the ghost, buy a new one with W7 preinstalled... until then, the general rule is that your current O/S is more likely to play well with your current H/W.

Blessings!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 11:02 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

SUCCESS!!!!!

Did you turn off Tablet PC Input Services? Might help a bit. Also running as administrator seems to help some get better performance.

Finally, check your video card maker for Win7 specific drivers.

Note: nVidia drivers from nVidia's web site don't work with all nVidia cards - if you have a eVGA nVidia card, e.g., get the updates from the eVGA site only. There's a difference. I speak from experience.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 3287
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2010 12:09 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

Did you turn off Tablet PC Input Services? Might help a bit. Also running as administrator seems to help some get better performance.

Finally, check your video card maker for Win7 specific drivers.

Note: nVidia drivers from nVidia's web site don't work with all nVidia cards - if you have a eVGA nVidia card, e.g., get the updates from the eVGA site only. There's a difference. I speak from experience.

Did as you suggested Rich- there was an update at nVidia, also shut down Tablet PC, and now run as admin- but still on the average 11-12 seconds on opening and closing layouts.

I think Vista Prem. was a little quicker. By the way running 32 bit.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS