How can I print a list of the titles of the books in my library?

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 4
Nicodemus Ude | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 3 2014 11:32 AM

Is there any way I can print a hard copy of all the titles in my entire Logos library? 

Posts 4961
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 3 2014 11:39 AM

Open the library window and click in the upper left corner on the book icon... there you can print export a list.

=Dan

Posts 19229
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 3 2014 11:44 AM

Hi Nicodemus - and welcome to the forums

Another option from that suggested by Dan is to use a Bibliography Document - accessible from the Documents menu

choose to add resources from a collection and choose "All Resources" (this is for Logos 6 - in Logos 5 it will be "Entire Library"

This gives you something like from which you can select the Print / Export option

Graham

Posts 23053
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 3 2014 11:45 AM

You can use the Bibliography feature from the Documents menu.

Use the Add menu to get citations from ...a collection. Choose "All resources" from the top of the menu. Then you can use Print/Export to print the titles.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 4961
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 3 2014 11:59 AM

Thanks Graham and Dave. I didn't know about that feature.

-Dan

Posts 18120
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 3 2014 1:02 PM

This question comes up regularly. Others have told you how, but I'd question why anyone really needs to do this. A hard copy of that list is likely to get outdated soon as you acquire more books, and seems like a waste of paper. Anyway, you can look up the list of titles in your library within the software any time you want.

Another option instead of printing to paper if you really want a list outside of the Logos software is to print to PDF. Then you have your list in list form, but you're not consuming precious trees.

Posts 8051
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 1:34 PM

Rosie Perera:
This question comes up regularly. Others have told you how, but I'd question why anyone really needs to do this.

Thanks for saying this Rosie. I have often thought about it but never asked it before. Printing would be my last resort.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 4961
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 2:40 PM

Rosie Perera:

This question comes up regularly. Others have told you how, but I'd question why anyone really needs to do this. A hard copy of that list is likely to get outdated soon as you acquire more books, and seems like a waste of paper. Anyway, you can look up the list of titles in your library within the software any time you want.

Another option instead of printing to paper if you really want a list outside of the Logos software is to print to PDF. Then you have your list in list form, but you're not consuming precious trees.

I can't imagine it either. the ones i generated would have been monstrous to print, that said I can see the value in sending a list off to an associate or friend to help recommend things to explore. (i.e. I want to do a study on X.... with the list they may say: Start of  with Book A and move on to Book E, but avoid Book C, their arguments are week and unfounded. Also if one ever wished to sell ones entire collection it might be very helpful to have a complete list like this. But generally I do not see the value in this feature either.

-Dan

Posts 785
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 3:54 PM

Just imagine how much printing paper would cost and the time it would take for someone with $10K-$25K in Logos resources.

Posts 18120
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 4 2014 8:49 PM

Dan Francis:
I can't imagine it either. the ones i generated would have been monstrous to print, that said I can see the value in sending a list off to an associate or friend to help recommend things to explore. (i.e. I want to do a study on X.... with the list they may say: Start of  with Book A and move on to Book E, but avoid Book C, their arguments are week and unfounded. Also if one ever wished to sell ones entire collection it might be very helpful to have a complete list like this. But generally I do not see the value in this feature either.

I can imagine sending off a list from a smaller bibliography (e.g., generated from a collection), but one's entire library? Also, c'mon people, we live in an era when your associate or friend would probably rather receive that list of suggested books in digital form anyway, so that they can copy/paste the titles and go look up the product pages for them.

I think the reason we see the request for this "print a listing of my entire library" so frequently is that people are still exposed a lot to printed lists of books in libraries: some church libraries produce a printed list which they have available for people to peruse, and so on. But I'd really like to encourage people to move away from the model of having to print everything before you can peruse it. My dad used to print all his email messages and read them at the kitchen table. It took me a long time to convince him that was a waste of paper.

Posts 14
Roger Pitot | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 5 2014 6:12 AM

On a related subject, I am trying to create a list in MS Excel of all my resources in Logos 5.

I could do it in Libronix, but I've never done it since - can someone help?

Posts 19229
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 5 2014 6:50 AM

Hi Roger - and welcome to the forums

Roger Pitot:

On a related subject, I am trying to create a list in MS Excel of all my resources in Logos 5.

I could do it in Libronix, but I've never done it since - can someone help?

Following the steps above to create a bibliography including going to Print/Export should allow you to export the list to Excel I think.

im not at my computer at the moment so can't check

Graham

Posts 14
Roger Pitot | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 5 2014 7:46 AM

Thanks Graham, but then I get a citation, when what I want is the titles in 1 column and the author in another. Ultimately I want to be able to see what resources I have when looking at all the specials which don't have the "new for me" option.

Roger

Posts 2758
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 5 2014 7:52 AM

I think it is very easy, as someone already suggested, to bring up library, use print/export, and Save A file Spreadsheet. It will be an XML file, then use Excel (probably Google docs too, and others) to Open it. You get a very nice list with every piece of data in a column, as you see from this partial snapshot of mine you can easily grab the columns of title an author simply!

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 5 2014 8:58 AM

Print/Export from the Library only works in Logos6 not in Logos5.

If you want to export a list of all your books to Excel you could use my free tool
LLR (Logos Library Reporter). It works on Windows computers and works with L4, L5, & L6.

It will allow you to export to a csv file which Excel reads. After opening it in Excel you will want to save it as an Excel file to keep your changes to how you changed its layout.

There are other advantages to the program. It allows you to keep track of changes to your library. Creates reports on your library which can contain many details on each book (Author, Type, Publisher, Ratings, etc.). These reports are stored as webpages on your computer. You can give filenames for the webpages and they remain on your computer for viewing later (you can even bookmark them in your browser).

Edit:

Steps to create a CSV file from LLR

1. Close Logos program

2. On the Read Catalog tab, click on the Read DB button (LLR gets a copy of your Logos database)

3. Click on the Save DB button (wait for data to be copied to LLR's database)

4. Click to change the tab to Reports.

5. Click to select report: All books by Logos Type.

6. Click to check Create CSV File

7. Click the Generate Report button.

8. Open Window's Explorer to Documents\Logos Lib Webpage\MyReports\ and double-click on All Books.csv (this will open the csv file into Excel if you have Excel on your computer).

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 14
Roger Pitot | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 5 2014 9:52 AM

Wonderful Steve!

All done very easily in 10 minutes, all 2998 resources now in an excel sheet.

I am awed!

Thanks, Roger

Posts 8
Brian Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 27 2016 5:56 AM

Can this be used on a Mac? 

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 27 2016 7:47 AM

Hi Brian,

Brian Smith:
Can this be used on a Mac?

No (if you are referring to the LLR program), it is a window's program (see system requirements)

Although if on your Mac if you have Windows installed to run in a Virtual Window, then it may be possible to install LLR to run in the window's virtual window.

Sorry.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 368
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 27 2016 8:26 AM

Here is a quick video showing the process that others have mentioned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie23-zETdc0

Posts 9072
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 27 2016 9:28 AM

Not mentioned (or I didn't see), but the xml/spreadsheet export dumps fields not included in library view.  

For example, file name, date/time of last update, subs on monographs, etc. 

Also, if you control your mytags from primary to secondary, the sort can list relative to primary tags (since else, tags are in a single row, not easy to break out).

I like a periodic pdf with my key info, that I can highlight, notate.

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS