Suggestion: NTSK and sympathetic highlighting

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 5 2014 6:30 AM

One of my favorite resources is the good old New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge. It would be awesome to have the NTSK tagged so that when I highlight a phrase in the Bible it highlights the appropriate cross references. Sometimes its hard to find them because I'm looking at a different translation.

I know this is probably better suggested through UserVoice which I might do if others seem interested.

Posts 3672
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 8 2014 1:29 AM

I am not sure what you mean by the confusion that arises from using different translations. Sympathetic highlighting highlights the same referents, so what do you want to see highlighted? Let's say you're looking at Jn 1:1 (in your Bible?) you want to see the Jn 1:1 section highlighted in NTSK?

There are three tools that can be used to maximize NTSK:

1. "Follow" (set your Bible or other versified resource to the same set as NTSK and it will follow your navigation).
  2. Power lookup will display all the references in a separate window. Note that you can resize the lookup window. Also, if you click on a reference in the lookup window, it will spot it in the NTSK window.
  3. Send hyperlinks here will make NTSK go to whichever reference you click on.

I guess I am not sure what else you had in mind or does this help any?

Posts 412
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 8 2014 4:20 AM

I think Halo Hound is talking about picking out the particular word or phrase in NTSK to which the cross-references are attached.  With different translations, you have to do a little guesswork.  What he's asking for might possibly be feasible if both NTSK and your other translation are tagged somehow with the underlying Hebrew/Greek.

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Trekstor Primebook/Celeron/4GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 8 2014 5:10 AM

Mary-Ellen:

I think Halo Hound is talking about picking out the particular word or phrase in NTSK to which the cross-references are attached.  With different translations, you have to do a little guesswork.  What he's asking for might possibly be feasible if both NTSK and your other translation are tagged somehow with the underlying Hebrew/Greek.

That is correct. I would want selecting from the bible to "sympathetically highlight" the yellow in the NTSK. I know my chances of seeing this happen is slim given the amount of work it would probably take...but why not dream :-)

Posts 3672
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 8 2014 6:03 AM

One way of doing this for the time being is to have the NTSK, the KJV and any version you want to use that uses Sympathetic highlighting. Enable it on both versions. When looking at a word in NTSK, highlight in KJV and the equivalent will show in the other version you use. You can make this into a layout to your liking.

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 8 2014 6:08 AM

Great Idea! Thanks.

Posts 412
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 8 2014 6:27 AM

Super idea, Francis!  Worthy of preserving somewhere -- a task for the wiki-proficient, perhaps?

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Trekstor Primebook/Celeron/4GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS