Value of BDF

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1959
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 8 2014 5:05 AM

I see that one of the stocking stuffers in Logos 12 Days sale is BDF. Other than solving some linking issues to the Exegetical Summary series, what would be other reasons to add this to ones library, if one has BDAG.

Posts 51
David E Haeuser | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 8 2014 5:27 AM

BDF and BDAG are entirely different animals. Whereas BDAG is a lexicon (the B there is Bauer, a German lexicographer), BDF is a reference grammar (the B there is for Blass, a German expert on NT Grammar, especially its difference from classical Greek grammar).

Posts 2583
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 8 2014 5:38 AM

BDF used to be the go-to reference grammar for Koine Greek. Nowadays it's showing its age. There was some effort to produce a revised edition some years ago but it never got anywhere. I would say that BDF is too heavy even for those who have got through Greek 101.

Posts 2443
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 8 2014 11:18 AM

It's an essential scholar reference work even if you don't use it often. The cool thing is that Logos can bring up any related reference to what you are working on in seconds. 

Not necessary for sermons.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 9238
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 8 2014 1:15 PM

Kenneth Neighoff:
I see that one of the stocking stuffers in Logos 12 Days sale is BDF.
\

Thanks for pointing this out. I somehow missed the whole bottom of that webpage.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS