REQUEST: Roman Catholic Theology and Practice: An Evangelical Assessment

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 81
Doug Hanna | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 14 2014 7:57 PM

I would love to see Gregg R. Allison's new book on Roman Catholicism in Logos. It would be extremely helpful to help us evaluate the truth.

http://www.amazon.com/Roman-Catholic-Theology-Practice-Evangelical/dp/1433501163

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 15 2014 8:47 AM

If your intent is to understand truthfully what the Catholic Church teaches, you might want to consider reading some of the source books already in Logos, such as some of the Catechism books:

https://www.logos.com/product/17215/catechism-of-the-catholic-church

or the Youth Catechism, which is used by many adults because of its conciseness and accuracy:

https://www.logos.com/product/29612/youcat-youth-catechism-of-the-catholic-church

Many important writings by Popes, found in the references in the footnotes of the Catechism books, are also available in Logos if you search for them through footnotes, or do a web site resource search for "Pope" on Logos.com.

By reading the source books yourself, you can draw your own conclusions not filtered by someone else's lens of faith. You will get a much better assessment of Catholic teaching by going to the authority and drawing your own conclusions, rather than someone else telling you what they think the authority is saying.

The book you mention, while an interesting read, would probably be less of a priority for the Catholic product manager as it's a Reformed author critiquing Catholicism. In addition, notice that of the editorial reviews listed, not one was by a Catholic, a major red flag that it does not accurately explain Catholic teaching. There is only one reader-review, and based on the reviewer's comments IMHO it sounds like this would be a useful book for apologetics defense of non-Catholic positions compared to being an accurate description of Catholic teaching. Or, you could take the opposite approach and see how a Catholic apologetics book compares and contrasts Catholic teaching with other faiths, with this book also in Logos:

https://www.logos.com/product/569/handbook-of-christian-apologetics

Given all this, you might want to make this suggestion in the general Suggestions forum, so your suggestion here doesn't get lost in the flurry of suggestions of other Catholic resources!

Posts 2710
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 15 2014 9:09 AM

Doug Hanna:

I would love to see Gregg R. Allison's new book on Roman Catholicism in Logos. It would be extremely helpful to help us evaluate the truth.

http://www.amazon.com/Roman-Catholic-Theology-Practice-Evangelical/dp/1433501163

YesYesYes.

Good suggest . I think you should post your book request in the suggestion forum here https://community.logos.com/forums/28.aspx

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 55
LogosEmployee
Jesse Myers | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 15 2014 12:04 PM

I've sent this request on so there's no need to submit it again. Thanks!

Posts 2876
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 15 2014 6:49 PM

Don Awalt:
If your intent is to understand truthfully what the Catholic Church teaches

Don, I'm pretty sure his intent was to request the Allison book for use in Logos.

I'm really lost as to the part about the Catholic product manager, being as this is the REFORMED forum.

???

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 16 2014 3:30 AM

Doc B:

I'm really lost as to the part about the Catholic product manager, being as this is the REFORMED forum.

???

I was confused as well; maybe it was originally posted in the Catholic forum ???

EDIT: In any case, I'd love for this book to come to Logos; I read the sample from the Crossway site and I definitely want to read the rest of it.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 16 2014 3:42 AM

Sorry - my mistake - I thought I was in Catholic forum - couldn't understand why it was posted there! Doh. Sorry it will no longer let me edit/delete my comments. 

Posts 10235
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 16 2014 3:58 AM

Don Awalt:

Sorry - my mistake - I thought I was in Catholic forum - couldn't understand why it was posted there! Doh. Sorry it will no longer let me edit/delete my comments. 

Don, no mistake, I clearly remember this was posted in the Catholic forum and I presume someone moved this to the Reformed forum to avoid potential unproductive discussion down the road and get the attention of the right people (Reformed product manager with existing publisher connection to Crossway Books)

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 16 2014 10:14 AM

Ah that makes me feel a little better, thanks. I couldn't believe I messed that up so badly. 

Posts 2876
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 17 2014 9:14 AM

NB.Mick:
I clearly remember this was posted in the Catholic forum

Thanks for clearing that up.

It would have been nice for whoever moved the post to indicate so.  Would have saved Don some embarrassment.  (And me some confusion.)

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 81
Doug Hanna | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 20 2014 5:41 PM

Jesse Myers:

Awesome! Thanks Jesse!

Posts 81
Doug Hanna | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 6:52 PM

Jesse Myers:

Any news on this resource? I'm writing a paper on some RC doctrine soon - an analysis and Biblical response - and would love to have this resource in Logos!

Posts 27468
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 9:51 PM

Doug Hanna:

Any news on this resource? I'm writing a paper on some RC doctrine soon - an analysis and Biblical response - and would love to have this resource in Logos!

I hope that you are using a reliable resource that gives you the Biblical support for the RC position. If you're not, you're not getting the real story. However, it is unrealistic to think that Logos will have the resource within the time you are writing the paper. When Logos obtains the rights to the book it will usually appear on pre-pub before going into development. If you state what doctrine you are writing on, there are several people on the forums who can give you RC sources, including Biblically based ones.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS