Searching on Logos.com and Vyrso.com

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 17 2014 12:26 PM

On more than one occasion I have checked to see if a book is available on Logos.com, not been able to find it, bought it on Kindle and subsequently found that it is available on Vyrso. It would be good if logos.com searches were to return condensed Vyrso results on a different part of the page. I would be happy to see them returned in the main results, but suspect some would not want them in the main body, especially if there are Amish romances with similar titles to serious academic or exegetical works! 

The same applies to Verbum. I don't know whether books are being published under Verbum that are not available in Logos, but I certainly read some RC theologians and wouldn't want to have to search multiple FL websites to find the book I'm after. 

I suspect Faithlife is losing sales overall because of the walls being erected between various parts of the business which are there for very good reasons. They are, however, marketing categories that don't always take account of the idea that some of us drink from more than one fountain. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 18828
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 17 2014 12:45 PM

This suggestion has been requested multiple times before and there's even a UserVoice entry for it. You might want to go put some votes towards it. It's on the "Logos.com" UserVoice forum, which is separate from the main Logos one, so it doesn't compete for your votes on other Logos features.

https://logosdotcom.uservoice.com/forums/183408-general/suggestions/6719655-in-product-search-let-the-user-know-if-its-availab 

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 17 2014 3:32 PM

Rosie Perera:

This suggestion has been requested multiple times before and there's even a UserVoice entry for it. You might want to go put some votes towards it. It's on the "Logos.com" UserVoice forum, which is separate from the main Logos one, so it doesn't compete for your votes on other Logos features.

https://logosdotcom.uservoice.com/forums/183408-general/suggestions/6719655-in-product-search-let-the-user-know-if-its-availab 

Will do - Thank you, Rosie. 

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 2499
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 19 2014 8:29 AM

GregW:

I suspect Faithlife is losing sales overall ...

Yes No need for UserVoice. This is a no-brainer. F.L. should try to plug this hole.

At the very least, append a "Extended Search" button at the end of results for cross-domain searches.

Posts 107
David Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 20 2014 6:21 AM

I'm a long time customer with a huge library and didn't realize this was the case.  I thought they were combined a long time ago?

Logos, I have no intention of searching more than one place on your site.  If it doesn't come up in Logos.com, I'm off to Amazon to see if I can get it there.  Period.

Posts 18828
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 20 2014 8:53 PM

Lee:
Yes No need for UserVoice. This is a no-brainer. F.L. should try to plug this hole.

But there is a need for UserVoice. No development decision for Faithlife is a no-brainer. They have to decide where to commit development resources, and they take prioritization of development time seriously. They put off many things we think should be "no-brainers" because they don't have enough evidence that it's important to users and they have other more pressing things to get done. So we need to let them know we want them to do this sooner rather than later. That's what UserVoice is for.

Posts 2499
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 21 2014 12:39 AM

You're right of course, Rosie. I'm not saying that UserVoice serves no purpose. However, not everyone wishes to interact with it (3 votes only) and some things in life are self-evident.

Posts 2148
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 7:18 AM

Lee:

You're right of course, Rosie. I'm not saying that UserVoice serves no purpose. However, not everyone wishes to interact with it (3 votes only) and some things in life are self-evident.

I have to agree.  This is less a matter of a feature users should beg/vote for and more of a fundamental matter of sales.  I too have bought Kindle/paper thinking Faithlife didn't have what I wanted.  I would think this would be far more important to Faithlife even than to users.  

Posts 3383
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 7:49 AM

Gao Lu:

Lee:

I have to agree.  This is less a matter of a feature users should beg/vote for and more of a fundamental matter of sales.  I too have bought Kindle/paper thinking Faithlife didn't have what I wanted.  I would think this would be far more important to Faithlife even than to users.

"It's obvious to me and I think it should be obvious to everyone" does not mean "It's self-evident". Please do not confuse the two. That there is no such thing as a married bachelor is self-evident. This feature, which I support, is not.

Posts 2499
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 10:06 AM

I take it as a self-evident proposition that one does not need to slip into the straitjacket of epistemological rigour in order to engage in discourse on these forums: Wikipedia on self-evidence. Smile

And yet ... within the epistemological rigours imposed, there is no defect in the truth value of the proposition: "some things in life are self-evident", nor is there any serious negation of it.

Posts 18828
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 10:50 AM

Gao Lu:

Lee:

I have to agree.  This is less a matter of a feature users should beg/vote for and more of a fundamental matter of sales.

I personally happen to agree with you, but it is self-evident that Faithlife doesn't agree or it would have implemented it already. So you can continue to assert that it's a no-brainer, but nothing will change the fact that it isn't implemented yet and probably isn't a priority for Faithlife yet. More users wanting it is the only thing that might change their priority on it at this point. And even that isn't a guarantee, because they have their own internal logic that isn't revealed to us. What makes perfect sense to us might not be a no-brainer to them. It might be a huge amount of work to implement it, for example. Or they might not want to mix Vyrso with Logos results because of agreements with publishers that we are not aware of.

Posts 2499
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 26 2014 11:10 AM

Rosie Perera:

More users wanting it is the only thing that might change their priority on it at this point. And even that isn't a guarantee, because they have their own internal logic that isn't revealed to us.

This is very true.

Rosie Perera:

It might be a huge amount of work to implement it, for example.

That's certainly possible.

Rosie Perera:

Or they might not want to mix Vyrso with Logos results because of agreements with publishers that we are not aware of.

I seriously doubt this is a factor for search results. FL's internal branding strategy is a likelier factor. However, as users have pointed out, this strategy loses sales for FL.

Posts 9112
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 28 2014 5:32 PM

I sure hope more people place their votes to have this done. It seems like a no-brainer for Faithlife to increase sales.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 18828
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 28 2014 6:51 PM

Lee:

Rosie Perera:

Or they might not want to mix Vyrso with Logos results because of agreements with publishers that we are not aware of.

I seriously doubt this is a factor for search results. FL's internal branding strategy is a likelier factor. However, as users have pointed out, this strategy loses sales for FL.

Other book publishers who segment their publications into different markets (different imprints) have a common website shared by their different imprints and one search box that searches across all of them. See for example Cascade Books, which is an imprint of Wipf & Stock, or Scarecrow Press, an imprint of Rowan & Littlefield. But in these cases it's all one website with shared guts, and the differentiation in imprint is merely superficial. With Faithlife, the differentiation between Vyrso and Logos editions, and the accompanying software to read them, is much more than window dressing. Faithlife might really want to keep that boundary more firm than we users of the Logos software and mobile apps view it in our minds. I agree that it's probably losing sales for them, so hopefully they will wake up and smell the roses.

Posts 98
JJ Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 30 2014 5:25 PM

I couldn't agree more... this is FaithLife's choice.  Quite frankly, I don't care if they implement.  If FaithLife doesn't care to have my business, then Amazon will.  Plus I know what I am getting with Amazon.   

I spend Hundreds of Dollars more each quarter on Amazon Kindle books than I ever spend with Logos.  Their loss, I figure.  Why should I check with three websites to see if they have a book.  If THEY don't care, then why should we?  If it is an academic title or commentary, I am ALWAYS going to check with Logos's site first.  AND I ALWAYS WANT MY TITLES in Logos first and foremost.  But, if there are no results, I hit Amazon and buy and start reading.  

JJ

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS