"Ancient Literature" resources

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 412
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 17 2014 2:11 PM

Is there a way to look at the resource information and be able to tell whether a particular resource is tagged for the Ancient Literature tool in the Passage Guide?  At the moment I'm wondering about the "Ancient Egyptian Literature" multi-volume set, ed. by Lichtheim.  It's not in the Rick Brannan post a couple of months ago, but maybe it's in the works . . . ?

If there's some identifier that I could incorporate into a rule, I'm also thinking I might want to create a Collection for resources that I might consider "ancient literature" but that aren't yet tagged for the Passage Guide tool, something like "mytag:AncientLiterature ANDNOT [????]"  Is this possible?

Love this tool!  And quite a few other new Logos 6 features that have automated and put on steroids what I used to try to figure out how to do manually myself.  Great enhancements for the "academic" user.

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Trekstor Primebook/Celeron/4GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Posts 2176
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 7:37 AM

Hi Mary-Ellen,

Here is what I have done:

I tagged my library with all resources I deem to be "ancient texts" as "ancient"

I then used the list provided by Rick and tagged those resources "ancientlit"

I then created a collection with the following rule: mytag:ancient ANDNOT mytag:ancientlit

I had an ancient literature collection already so it wasn't hard to retag the ones included in the ancient literature section of the PG.

Here is Rick's list if it helps:

• Ancient Near-Eastern Literature: So, stuff like Ancient Near Eastern Texts (ANET), Context of Scripture (COS), Amarna Letters, titles in the Ugaritic collection, and some others. References here are primarily topical in nature.
  • Apostolic Fathers: The subset of early Christian literature, including 1&2 Clement, Letters of Ignatius, Polycarp to the Philippians, Martyrdom of Polycarp, Epistle of Barnabas, Didache, Epistle to Diognetus, Shepherd of Hermas. (Don't think I forgot anything, but I am human).
  • Church Fathers: Wider writings of Church Fathers, specifically material found in Schaff's Ante-Nicene, Nicene, and Post-Nicene Fathers set (aka ECF) as well as material in the Fathers of the Church series (aka FOTC).
  • Dead Sea Scrolls Sectarian Material: The sectarian portions of the DSS stuff, not the Biblical portions.
  • Judaica: Babylonian and Jerusalem Talmuds, Mishnah, Pesikta, Mekhilta. Maybe a few more.
  • Nag Hammadi Codices: Writings found at Nag Hammadi
  • New Testament Apocrypha: James' NT Apocrypha, also Greek Apocryphal Gospels, Fragments, and Agrapha
  • Old Testament Pseudepigrapha: Charles' edition as well as Charlesworth's edition
  • Works of Josephus
  • Works of Philo

I hope this gets you started.

Posts 412
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 9:43 AM

Thank you, John -- and great to see that you continue to master the software and share your findings -- wishing the riches of Advent to you and yours!

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Trekstor Primebook/Celeron/4GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Posts 2176
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 9:49 AM

Mary-Ellen:

wishing the riches of Advent to you and yours!

You too!

Posts 95
Rick Brannan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 10:20 AM

Hi Mary-Ellen.

Mary-Ellen:
At the moment I'm wondering about the "Ancient Egyptian Literature" multi-volume set, ed. by Lichtheim

At present, Lichtheim's work is not referenced within the Ancient Literature dataset. The Ancient Literature material is currently constrained by needing to refer to items that are indexed by work-specific data types, and Lichtheim's work is not indexed in this manner.

Thanks for your encouragement about this tool! In the future we may be able to include items like Lichtheim's, but we have no time frame for such enhancements.

Rick Brannan | Twitter: @RickBrannan
my books in print

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS