Learning to shop better on Logos

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2456
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 17 2014 4:35 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how the best deals on Logos are obscure to the average buyer. I had lined up a couple of bundles that peaked my interest. The largest gospel bundle was pretty much a slam dunk for me, I kept looking at the other bundles. Sure, they are good, but I just wasn't convinced. So I looked at some of the denominational base packages. There in Baptist Silver was Goldingay's OT theology set. That did it!

Waiting for the download to finish Geeked

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 3706
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 17 2014 5:04 PM

On the other hand, the average Faithlife customer probably doesn't know who Goldingay is, unless s/he's read about Goldingay on logos.com.

Posts 2456
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 17 2014 5:47 PM

SineNomine:

On the other hand, the average Faithlife customer probably doesn't know who Goldingay is, unless s/he's read about Goldingay on logos.com.

There's surely plenty of specialized stuff that will stay under the radar here for many folks. I knew about Goldingay from his commentaries on the Psalms. The theology set was new to me altogether. 

The point is that it wasn't in the bundles and I would have missed it, I got it and a whole lot more for a little more than the cost of the set alone.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 510
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 7:39 AM

Now that you mention it, with 10's of thousands of books available, there's probably so much more that I would love to purchase that I don't even realize! I'm not sure if this is a good thing... Or a bad thing! I've often searched through publishers that I like and trust or titles and authors I know of. Maybe a highlighted author or the month on the blog would be an interesting help to new logos, users? 

I've met a lot of new authors through the bundles and the sales that logos offers (especially the march madness sales.) 

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 7:53 AM

I believe the denominational base packages have created many more opportunities for discounts than before. Several of the base packages I can purchase for little more than the cost of an individual set within them that I wanted.  

Posts 18885
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 8:28 AM

I often use Amazon.com to browse for related books/authors to ones I like, from their list of books that other users have bought. Since Amazon has a much larger customer base, those "customers who bought this also bought" lists are more useful (I find) than the (maximum of) two proposed suggestions in that category that Logos.com offers, one of which is always Bible Study Magazine. Sometimes there's only Bible Study Magazine suggested, and often there are no books listed there at all.

Posts 2456
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 19 2014 10:22 AM

I also double check with Amazon. Not for prices as much as an extra resource for reviews and other works by a given author. Very helpful especially if revised works are in print and not yet in Logos. Doesn't mean that the latter is a cold shower for an older Logos version.   Having something in Logos is still my first choice.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS