Reading Recommendations 2014

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2373
Beloved | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 18 2014 1:45 PM

What Logos (or Vyrso)book did you read this year that you would recommend because of the impact it had on your walk with the Lord?

I'll get this thread started with a book from a commentary series I highly recommend. I plan to read all of them, but it's going to take me awhile. The book from the series I read this year that I really enjoyed and highly recommend is James Montgomery Boice's Philippians: An Expositional Commentary

I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone has read this year.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 2:46 PM

Beloved:

I'll get this thread started with a book from a commentary series I highly recommend. I plan to read all of them, but it's going to take me awhile. The book from the series I read this year that I really enjoyed and highly recommend is James Montgomery Boice's Philippians: An Expositional Commentary

I read this book this year as well.  Boice is excellent in his presentation.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 2:53 PM

Sidney Greidanus, The Modern Preacher and the Ancient Text. It's not available individually in Logos yet. 

eerdmans preaching resources collection

Posts 18828
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 2:53 PM

Two recently published books I read this year that impacted me, but are not (yet) available in Vyrso (and should be) are:

Planted: A Story of Creation, Calling, and Community by Leah Kostamo (Wipf & Stock, 2013), foreword by Eugene Peterson

Oriented to Faith: Transforming the Conflict over Gay Relationships by Tim Otto (Wipf & Stock, 2014), foreword by Shane Claiborne

I'm going to go over to the Vyrso forum and suggest them both now.

Posts 2373
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 3:11 PM

Rosie Perera:
Planted: A Story of Creation, Calling, and Community by Leah Kostamo (Wipf & Stock, 2013), foreword by Eugene Peterson

Happy Holidays to you Rosie. Bought  it on your recommendation and will read this coming year. Thanks!

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 18828
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 3:15 PM

Beloved:

Rosie Perera:

Happy Holidays to you Rosie. Bought  it on your recommendation and will read this coming year. Thanks!

I am delighted! Leah Kostamo is a friend of mine and a wonderful writer. I think you'll enjoy it. I will let her know that my recommendation resulted in someone buying it. Smile

Enjoy your Christmas present to yourself.

Posts 10548
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 3:29 PM

Mine was 'Misunderstood Jew' by Amy-Jill Levine

http://www.amazon.com/Misunderstood-Jew-Amy-Jill-Levine-ebook/dp/B000XPNUG8/ 

It's a good read, well within the 'Jesus was jewish' type books these days.  But, she had a single sentence, not related to the book's message.  I won't say what it was; sort of a nail-in-the-coffin sentence.  I still think, 'wow'.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 2373
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 3:47 PM

Denise:

Mine was 'Misunderstood Jew' by Amy-Jill Levine

http://www.amazon.com/Misunderstood-Jew-Amy-Jill-Levine-ebook/dp/B000XPNUG8/ 

Ok now, you gals are cheating (although I'm biting every time). If you leave off Logos books and expand to AMZN then I've got a great one, Christopher Ash Job: The Wisdom of the Cross

Posts 2764
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 3:55 PM

Quite a few read this year. Smile

The Cambridge Paragraph Bible. The translation I used for this years 1-year reading plan.

Opening Up Jonah commentary

Purifying the Prophetic: Breaking Free from the Spirit of Self-Fulfillment

Basics for Believers: An Exposition on Philippians

The Adversary: The Christian Versus Demonic Activity

The Baptism of the Holy Spirit: Is it Something for the Believer to Seek?

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 4:50 PM

Beloved:

What Logos (or Vyrso)book did you read this year that you would recommend because of the impact it had on your walk with the Lord?

Oddly, it was from a sale advertised by a kind person in these forums last week and made available for free:

https://vyrso.com/product/13802/the-truth-shall-make-you-odd

"The Truth Shall Make You Odd" is written to help people in Ministry tell the truth to their congregations in tough situations. Its particular strength is its focus on discipleship and working to develop people's faith over longer periods of time.

Posts 18828
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 4:59 PM

Beloved:
Ok now, you gals are cheating (although I'm biting every time).

Ha! You ain't seen cheating yet. The best book I read this year (from Amazon/Kindle) wasn't even remotely something Logos/Vyrso would ever get. It was the memoirs of a woman who worked at Bletchley Park during WII decoding German messages on the Enigma machines. She was a friend of mine's mother. My Secret Life in Hut Six. I loved it! But it's totally off topic, so I won't provide a link.

Posts 790
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 18 2014 8:23 PM

Rayner:

Beloved:

Oddly, it was from a sale advertised by a kind person in these forums last week and made available for free:

https://vyrso.com/product/13802/the-truth-shall-make-you-odd

"The Truth Shall Make You Odd" is written to help people in Ministry tell the truth to their congregations in tough situations. Its particular strength is its focus on discipleship and working to develop people's faith over longer periods of time.

Looks like a nice resource. God Bless you always!

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS