Why did Joseph and Mary stay in Bethlehem for 2+ years after Jesus was born?

Page 4 of 4 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 62 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2643
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2020 5:06 AM

Bryan S.:

So the wise men had LESS THAN FORTY DAYS to visit Jesus in Bethlehem, or He would have been gone to Jerusalem. After that, He would have been back in Nazareth for a short time, and then in Egypt for a period of time.

Question: How far is it from Bethlehem to Jerusalem?  [[Answer: about 5 miles]] They would not have had to MOVE to Jerusalem only walked to the Temple and then returned home to Bethlehem after the Ceremony. 

Next question: Did Luke cover everything? [John admits that he did not cover everything.] Did Luke perhaps not know of the time in Egypt?  Mathew traveled with Jesus.  Paul did not.  Luke joined Paul some time latter.  Mathew had the opportunity to question or hear the stories that Mary told.  Luke did not have that opportunity.  Assuming that Luke did interview Mary - How thoroughly did he question "the mother of his Lord"?   

Bryan S.:

The passage says the wise men asked, “Where is he that is born King of the Jews?” They were looking for the King that was newly born. They were not looking for a two year old boy.

Is not one 'born to be king' still 'born to be king' many many years after his birth?  

Posts 2850
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2020 9:41 AM

The text of Matthew 3:11 says the Magi saw a "child" (παιδίον) not a "baby" (βρέφος)  as in Luke 2:16.  I think that, along with much other circumstantial evidence, makes it most natural to understand that they remained in Jerusalem several years.  Just my opinion.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 849
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2020 5:32 PM

I always assumed St. Joseph found work while St. Mary was recovering from childbirth. Maybe they made plans to stay if he did well enough?

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Platinum

Page 4 of 4 (63 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS