Are There Any Logos Books Dealing With

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 790
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 29 2014 10:26 AM

Monergism vs Synergism and Apostolic Succession(for and against)?

Posts 462
Dave Moser | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 10:52 AM

Are you looking for a single book that addresses all three issues? The first two aren't usually discussed alongside the third.

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 11:33 AM

James Hiddle:

A basic search should reveal what you have in your library. I searched Monergism AND Synergism and turned up about 70 references in the first instance. And that is only individual sentences containing both terms.

That would give enough for a way into the topic. Likewise, Apostolic Succession turned up a few hundred references. 

At least such searches provide a way in for further research.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 790
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 12:41 PM

Dave Moser:

Are you looking for a single book that addresses all three issues? The first two aren't usually discussed alongside the third.

No I was looking for two books one based on Monergism vs Synergism and one for Apostolic Succession. I apologize for not making that clearer.

Alan Macgregor:

James Hiddle:

A basic search should reveal what you have in your library. I searched Monergism AND Synergism and turned up about 70 references in the first instance. And that is only individual sentences containing both terms.

That would give enough for a way into the topic. Likewise, Apostolic Succession turned up a few hundred references. 

At least such searches provide a way in for further research.

Every blessing

Alan

I didn't even consider doing a search to see if my library had any resources on those subjects which after doing a search I do. Thanks for responding guys. I appreciate it. God Bless you all always forever!

James

Posts 1986
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 12:51 PM

James Hiddle:
No I was looking for two books one based on Monergism vs Synergism

Michael Horton's "For Calvinism" (monergism) and Roger Olsen's "Against Calvinism" (synergism) are both in Logos, though Olsen's book isn't really a positive case for synergism.

I have innumerable books in my library on monergism, so it's hard for me to narrow it down. Perhaps Boettner's "The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination"?

Hope this helps,

Donnie

Posts 31933
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 12:56 PM

An everything search on "apostolic succession" brings up 11 resources in my library including:

Rogers, Gregory. Apostolic Succession. Third Edition. Ben Lomond, CA: Conciliar Press, 2000.

Gore, Charles. Orders and Unity. London: John Murray, 1909. (Anglican)

Benedict XVI. God’s Word: Scripture—Tradition—Office. Edited by Peter Hünermann and Thomas Söding. Translated by Henry Taylor. San Francisco: Ignatius Press, 2008.

Kramm, H. H. The Theology of Martin Luther. Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2009. (Lutheran)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 790
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 3:17 PM

MJ and Donnie thanks for the suggestions. God Bless you both always forever!

James

Posts 19189
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 3:27 PM

Another one by Charles Gore on apostolic succession (defending it from an Anglican perspective) is 

The Church and the Ministry

There is also

Dissertations on the Apostolic Age by Joseph Barber Lightfoot

Posts 19189
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 3:31 PM

There is a section called "Monergism vs. Synergism—Which View Is Correct?" in Got Questions? Bible Questions Answered. It is a pretty clear discussion of the differences between the two, though it's necessarily short (only 3 pages when printed/exported). It does come down after weighing the evidence on both sides on the side of monergism.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 5:47 PM

James Hiddle:
No I was looking for two books one based on Monergism vs Synergism

Searching Everything found 16 articles in => Huge encyclopaedia: The Dictionary of Christianity and the Bible that noted labels Calvinist and Arminian are more frequently used.  Searching Heading Text and Large Text for:

Monergism Synergism

found articles

Rosie Perera:

and Four Views on God and Canaanite Genocide: Show Them No Mercy

Searching Heading Text and Large Text for:

Calvinist Arminian

included Four Views on Eternal Security that is one resource that discusses Monergism and Synergism with four proponents that offer their primary position and counter-points to the other three.

Searching Library for "Apostolic Succession" articles found 58 resources:

Also found "Apostolic Succession" in 319 articles => Huge encyclopaedia: The Dictionary of Christianity and the Bible

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 790
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 29 2014 9:28 PM

Looks like I got some new resources to check out. Thanks guys and God Bless you all always!

James

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS