Detailed History of Southern Baptist?

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2787
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 1:03 PM

Michael S.:

Wow, so much has changed since this post over 3 years ago!  Nice resources have been added- including the Founders Press stuff.

Yes

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 1597
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 1 2018 2:20 PM

Justin Gatlin:
Fun fact, according to a prof I had in undergrad (secular). Protestant as "one who protests" doesn't come from the reformers, but from the RCC. It probably means "pro testari," for the testimony. So it was the Papists versus the Protestants. Those for the Pope versus those for the Scriptures. 

A bit of a zombie thread, and off topic, but my understanding was that the term "Protestant" comes from the Evangelical (Lutheran) Princes who Protested at the Diet of Speyer in 1529 that the decisions of a previous Diet of the Empire (1526 - also at Speyer) which allowed them some religious liberty were ignored.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 622
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 2 2018 3:16 PM

Ken McGuire:
A bit of a zombie thread, and off topic, but my understanding was that the term "Protestant" comes from the Evangelical (Lutheran) Princes who Protested at the Diet of Speyer in 1529 that the decisions of a previous Diet of the Empire (1526 - also at Speyer) which allowed them some religious liberty were ignored.

Geeked

Page 2 of 2 (23 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS