Reading Calvin's Institutes in 2015

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3141
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 1 2015 7:38 AM

Yasmin Stephen:

I want to journal as well (and I got a beautiful diary from one of our business clients to motivate me Smile). I'm something of a stickler and feel I should do it every single day; consequently when I (inevitably) miss a few days I get discouraged and lose interest. I'm trying to get away from this mindset and just write when I have to something to say.

It took me a while to decide on a devotional; I finally ended up with 8 (Surprise?). They're mostly one or two months long. I have a number of year-long devotionals but I just completed Spurgeon's Morning & Evening and didn't think anything could top that for a while so I decided to mix it up.

Journaling:Catalyzing Spiritual Growth Through Reflection  by Adam Feldman is a nice little book for beginners. I wrote a review under the pseudonym FelaReader.

The first devotional I ever read was My Utmost for His Highest  by Oswald Chambers it is spectacular. It was an anchor through a time of testing for me and I grew by bounds in the faithful reading of it and it was also the first time I read the bible straight through. I regret that I didn't know anything about journaling then for I certainly had grist for the mill during that season of my life.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 245
Alexxy Olu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 1 2015 11:04 AM

Thanks Rosie and Yasmin for your detailed explanation.

The reading group sounds very much like a modified form of my Tutorial Group back then at medical school.

But somehow, I never thought of the tutorial group in a modified form (that is what I think the group reading is) within the church and friends environment.

I can already see some people around me that group reading could be a means of motivating.

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 1 2015 2:34 PM

Beloved:

Journaling:Catalyzing Spiritual Growth Through Reflection  by Adam Feldman is a nice little book for beginners. I wrote a review under the pseudonym FelaReader.

This looks like a very helpful book; thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Beloved:

The first devotional I ever read was My Utmost for His Highest  by Oswald Chambers it is spectacular. It was an anchor through a time of testing for me and I grew by bounds in the faithful reading of it and it was also the first time I read the bible straight through. I regret that I didn't know anything about journaling then for I certainly had grist for the mill during that season of my life.

I had planned to use My Utmost for 2014's at work devotional but I was unwell for a good portion of the year and that never panned out. Maybe next year, God willing. I've only heard good things about it.

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 1 2015 2:43 PM

Anyone else interested in reading Calvin's Institutes, Doc B created custom reading plans for the Battles edition, and created a Faithlife group to share them: https://faithlife.com/read-calvins-institutes-in-2015/activity (read more in this post: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/98648.aspx)

The Institutes is a humongous resource and creating these custom reading plans can't have been a piece of cake (I gave up after Day Stick out tongue) so I really appreciate Doc B using his spare time to create them and share with us. Thank you!

Posts 19276
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 7:47 PM

Cross-posting from another thread in case there are people following this one that aren't following the other one:

Hey all you Calvin readers, The Sermons and Lectures of John Calvin in English (29 vols.) in pre-pub needs some attention. This is a very exciting project. For the first time ever, all of Calvin's sermons will be collected in one place, and ones that have never been translated from the French or Latin will be translated. The field of Calvin sermon publication is a mess right now. They are all in the public domain so there's a few here and a few there in little volumes from a whole bunch of random little obscure publishers or digital self-printing places. Banner of Truth has done a lot of them. But there's no way to get a good edition of all his sermons. Now there will be, finally. So let's help move this bar over a bit.

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 8:05 PM
The title states 29 volumes but the Product Details states 58 volumes ??
Posts 19276
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 4 2015 9:05 PM

Yasmin Stephen:

That's a copy/paste bug from the description of the larger collection that includes this one and has the original language versions of all the volumes in it too (French & Latin) -- 29 + 29 = 58. I shall report it. Also the fact that this one doesn't link to the larger collection that it is fully contained in.

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 6 2015 5:15 PM

Rosie Perera:

Yasmin Stephen:

That's a copy/paste bug from the description of the larger collection that includes this one and has the original language versions of all the volumes in it too (French & Latin) -- 29 + 29 = 58. I shall report it. Also the fact that this one doesn't link to the larger collection that it is fully contained in.

Thanks for clearing that up. 

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS