Endless synchronization

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 359
Stephen Miller | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 1 2015 10:15 PM

Perhaps I will get a solution this year!

My problem of endless synchronization continues.

As a motivation for someone at Logos to fix this issue for me, note that I cannot purchase any Logos resources because I cannot connect to the Logos https server.

Here are the symptoms ....

1. The logos.com seems to be the ONLY site I have trouble connecting to.

2. I can connect to the logos.com site only IMMEDIATELY after I have deleted Logos cookies.

3. I can connect to the Logos Forum site ALWAYS.

4. Once I connect to the logos.com site I CANNOT login. The site times out. (Hence I cannot purchase resources.)

5. If I run L6 with internet ON, I can update and upgrade but synchronization is ENDLESS. The logs contain errors saying that no connection was made to the server. I normally run L6 with Internet OFF.

Can someone help?

Stephen Miller

Sydney, Australia

Posts 4740
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 2 2015 1:18 AM

Hi Stephen

New Year's greetings to you.

The technical types on the forum will be restless with the lack of challenge over the festive season so will be waiting to get stuck in to a new puzzle.

However before they can get stuck into your particular puzzle they will need some pieces. Clairvoyancy is not one of their specialities!

What flavour of computer - and, if the other one, which Operating System.

Which version of Logos - (best make sure that it is the latest - that will cut out one step in the healing process)

Please post logs and a sample using the Logos logging utility.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Posts 22991
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 2 2015 1:32 AM

Hi Mike

Some background - Stephen has been posting about these issues for some time. 

See https://community.logos.com/forums/t/97076.aspx and https://community.logos.com/forums/t/97077.aspx for some context.

I'm not sure there is much more which we can do in the forums - but I could be wrong.

Graham

Posts 359
Stephen Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 2 2015 1:36 AM

Mike

HNY2U!  (Thanks Rosie)

Logos Bible Software 6.0a SR-5

on Windows 7. I usually use Firefox, but the symptoms repeat on other browsers.

The error in the logs are like this ....

Program Version: 6.0a SR-3 (6.0.1.1339)
Time: 2014-12-19 23:31:55 +11:00 (2014-12-19T12:31:55Z)
Error handling response (GET https://prefsapi.logos.com/v2/prefs/sync).
System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive. ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
   at System.Net.FixedSizeReader.ReadPacket(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
   at System.Net.Security._SslStream.StartFrameHeader(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
   at System.Net.Security._SslStream.StartReading(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
   at System.Net.Security._SslStream.ProcessRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
   at System.Net.TlsStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
   at System.Net.PooledStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
   at System.Net.Connection.SyncRead(HttpWebRequest request, Boolean userRetrievedStream, Boolean probeRead)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
   at Libronix.Utility.Net.HttpWebRequestUtility.DoGetHttpResponse(Func`1 fnGetResponse)
   at Libronix.Utility.Net.WebServiceRequestBase`1.DoGetResponse(HttpWebRequest webRequest, Func`2 getWebResponse, IWorkState workState)
   at Libronix.Utility.Net.WebServiceRequestBase`1.GetResponse(IWorkState workState)

Stephen

Posts 359
Stephen Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 2 2015 1:37 AM

Previous post should have started

HNY2U

Sorry

Stephen

Posts 18886
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 2 2015 1:45 AM

Stephen, did you know you could edit a post of yours if you catch it within the first few hours (10 I think) after posting it. Just click the "More" button to the right of your post and choose Edit. If that command is not available on the menu it's because the window of opportunity to change your post has closed.

Posts 4740
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 2 2015 4:21 AM

Graham Criddle:

Hi Mike

Some background - Stephen has been posting about these issues for some time. 

See https://community.logos.com/forums/t/97076.aspx and https://community.logos.com/forums/t/97077.aspx for some context.

I'm not sure there is much more which we can do in the forums - but I could be wrong.

Graham

Happy New Year, Graham

Thanks for the info – it was the new topic in a new thread that mislead me.

Your ability to keep track of these things is most impressive - I just pitch in where I think I can be of some help without much reference to what has gone before.

I do hope that something can be done for Stephen.

Posts 8515
LogosEmployee

Stephen, when this happens, can you post your current IP address here (so we can correlate it with our server logs to see if we can find anything)? You can find that by googling for "what is my ip" or visiting http://www.whatismyip.com/ 

Posts 359

Thx Bradley.

First "when this happens" .... it always happens.

I have just started L6 with Internet switched ON. I had to press SKIP for the program to actually start  on screen.

whatismyip.com gave this result ..... IP Address:  220.244.58.65

Find attached relevant logs.

Thx

Stephen

Posts 359

L6 has been "synchronizing" for the past 3 hours. I have just stopped it.

The logs the past 3 hours are attached.

Thx

Stephen

Posts 359
Stephen Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 12:22 AM

Just another symptom. You may have noticed that in the past i have sent messages to the forum more than once.

This is because when I post a message I receive the error message ....

Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!

Either the site is offline or an unhandled error occurred. We apologize and have logged the error. Please try your request again or if you know who your site administrator is let them know too.

However, the message seems to go through OK.

Thx

Stephen

Posts 18886
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 1:24 AM

Stephen Miller:

You may have noticed that in the past i have sent messages to the forum more than once.

This is because when I post a message I receive the error message ....

Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!

Either the site is offline or an unhandled error occurred. We apologize and have logged the error. Please try your request again or if you know who your site administrator is let them know too.

However, the message seems to go through OK.

This is a known bug that happens intermittently. Many others have experienced it too. The Logos forum developer has been able to reduce the frequency with which it occurs but he hasn't been able to entirely eliminate it. The messages do go through but the redisplay of the forum after the post doesn't work, so if you see this error message you need to click on the thread subject at the top of the screen to refresh your browser, and all will be well.

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 2:50 AM

Stephen Miller:
As a motivation for someone at Logos to fix this issue for me, note that I cannot purchase any Logos resources because I cannot connect to the Logos https server.

Given that you're having problems with Logos' website as well as the Logos desktop application, that would suggest there's a problem with either (a) your PC, (b) your router, (c) your ISP, or (d) Logos' servers.

I don't think it's a Logos application/sync problem.

A couple of things to check:

1. Have you tried using a different internet connection (e.g. if you have a laptop, could you try from another location)?
  2. Have you tried temporarily disabling all firewall, anti-virus, anti-malware or other internet filters?

Posts 359
Stephen Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 3:15 AM

Thx Mark,

I have checked with my ISP, they did some tests while I was on line and said that nothing seem to be amiss. The good news was they tweaked my line and said I would get a faster signal???

I have just tried a different (but roughly the same) router with exactly the same symptoms.

A couple of things to check ....

1. I am using a desktop PC. Virtually impossible to carry around. (I could just extract the HDDs but risky).

2. I will be very disappointed if it has anything to do with any firewall (Norton 360), anti-Malware (MalwareBytes) etc because I have disabled all of them several times using TaskManager.

Keep thinking

Thx

Stephen

Posts 22991
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 4:04 AM

Stephen Miller:
1. I am using a desktop PC. Virtually impossible to carry around. (I could just extract the HDDs but risky).

Do you have  a mobile phone which you could configure as a wifi hotspot and route your desktop through there as a test? (Be careful about data limits!)

Posts 8515
LogosEmployee

Mark Barnes:

Given that you're having problems with Logos' website as well as the Logos desktop application, that would suggest there's a problem with either (a) your PC, (b) your router, (c) your ISP, or (d) Logos' servers.

I don't think it's a Logos application/sync problem.

I would agree.

I checked with our network operations team and they told me there's nothing they know of that would be blocking your IP address. (That doesn't prove it's not our servers, but rules out obvious misconfiguration.)

In our logs, we can see your successful login attempts to our servers (so your email address and password are making it here before the site times out).

I'm not sure why it times out after that; the symptoms make me wonder if some firewall along the way is performing "deep packet inspection" and dropping the connection because the data contains something that looks "suspicious". I don't know yet how we would find out if that's the case or where the firewall would be if so.

Posts 8515
LogosEmployee

Just to confirm: you are able to browse the entire www.logos.com site successfully if you're signed out (or cleared cookies, or use a private browsing session)? If so, that seems to rule out any problem with your browser/OS trusting our SSL certificate.

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 8:40 AM

Stephen Miller:
2. I will be very disappointed if it has anything to do with any firewall (Norton 360), anti-Malware (MalwareBytes) etc because I have disabled all of them several times using TaskManager.

You shouldn't be able to disable this software from TaskManager. They generally prevent that to avoid viruses doing the same. Try and disable them properly (probably by right-clicking on their icon in the system tray).

Posts 359
Stephen Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 5:00 PM

Bradley,

Once I get onto the logos.com site I can browse products, pre-pubs etc etc.

One other thought ... I can login to the Biblia.com site very quickly. Then I can log on to the forums.

Unfortunately, in a few hours I will be going to "Summer School" and intensive Bible teaching / missionary conference held in our beautiful (and at the moment very hot) Blue Mountains. While there I am out of internet range.

See you in about a week.

Thx for everyone who is thinking about my problem.

Stephen Miller

Sydney, Australia

Posts 359
Stephen Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 14 2015 4:15 AM

Bradley and others,

I hold my breath.

Suddenly I can

1. access the logos.com site through my Logon. (This means I can now purchase books).

2. synchronize.

Although over the past 6 months I have tried all sorts of things, and followed all sorts of advise, as far as i know I didn't do anything special this week.

But at last there is an end to "endless synchronization".

But for how long?

Stephen Miller

Sydney, Australia

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS