Works by and about the lesser-known Reformer Martin Bucer

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 18499
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 3 2015 5:01 PM

Though he isn't as well known as Luther, Calvin, and Zwingli, Martin Bucer was a significant Reformer "who influenced Lutheran, Calvinist, and Anglican doctrines and practices." I would like to get to know more about him and read some of his writings. Logos doesn't have anything by or about him except some various catena-type bits collected in the Reformation Commentary on Scripture and small biographical summaries of his life and work in encyclopedias and such.

I would like to see you try to get some of these:

By Bucer:

By Martin Bucer in Latin (Faithlife should commission translations if they've never been translated yet):

Martin Bucer in German (Faithlife should commission translations if they've never been translated yet):

About Bucer:

...and all of this was discovered because Calvin said in his Preface to his Commentary on the Psalms that Martin Bucer "had laboured in this field with such singular learning, diligence, fidelity, and success, that at least there was not so great need that I should put my hand to the work." So I was looking for Martin Bucer's commentary on the Psalms, if he had written one, and found all of this stuff instead. Smile Oh, and I did finally find his commentary on the Psalms, published under a pseudonym. That sneaky fellow!

Posts 5607
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 5:14 PM

Yes

Amazing that so little has been translated into English.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 13064
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 5:20 PM

Ooh, yes please, particularly Concerning the True Care of Souls.

Posts 18499
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 3 2015 5:27 PM

After you guys replied, I discovered (and edited my post above) that his Latin commentary on the Psalms has been translated into English. It was published under a pseudonym (Aretius Felinus) which is why I didn't find it before. I learned about it from this article.

The Psalter of David; by Aretius Felinus i.e. Martin Bucer. 1530. Translated from the Latin by George Joye. Introduction by G. E. Duffield. (Appleford, England: Sutton Courtenay Press, 1971)

But the cheapest used copy I can find available is £120.00!  No thanks! But Logos should buy it (I think that might be the only copy available for sale in the world) and digitise it.

And yes, it's amazing that so little has been translated into English. A prime opportunity for Logos/Faithlife to further serious Reformation scholarship! I hope they're still into doing that even after their name change, which seems to be also kind of an identity change.

Posts 2
Mark L. Turcio DD | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2018 10:20 AM

Is there any groups presently working on translating some of Bucer`s work to modern English? This would benefit the reformed faith resurgence in a great way

Posts 9037
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2018 11:09 AM

Also in English: Ground and Reason

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2
Mark L. Turcio DD | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2018 2:11 PM

Thank you I appreciate it

Posts 505
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 9 2018 3:12 PM

This is really a glaring hole in our library's. I hope Faithlife can acquire the rights to put together a collection of Bucer's work.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS