Finding Old Testament quotes in New Testament per Morris Proctor

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 38
Brian Crawford | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 2:24 PM

Yep, I was doing a Bible search. Wink

Yes, your solution works in Basic search, thank you. I still see this as a workaround, though, since it's depending on the cross-references in the ESV footnotes for the results, rather than data stored in Logos' LiteraryTyping database. In Basic search I can't export as a passage list or bring up a parallel Greek column for comparison to LXX, for example. Oh well.

Posts 26276
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 2:49 PM

I've had no reason to believe that Logos' Literary Typing database has the source of the quote data. Given when and how it was created I would be very surprised if it did.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 6:35 PM

Graham Criddle:

https://wiki.logos.com/Search_HELP#Logos_6 has a summary of the new search structures 

Interesting discussion, thanks Francis.

Just a minor point but one to point out — using the terms from 'The Lexham Cultural Ontology Glossary', for example in Francis' query "{Section <Culture Prophetic fulfillment>}" the search terms like 'Prophetic fulfillment' are fully case sensitive. Just one letter not being exactly the same case as in the book, for example mistakenly using 'Prophetic Fulfillment' instead of 'fulfillment', will return nothing. In a more complex, mixed search term, situation the results could be skewed without someone realising. It would be good perhaps for Logos to make these search terms case insensitive.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 1
Paul Bukauskas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 14 2019 7:54 AM

I'm pretty new to Logos but I know that it is very powerful. How can I search for all quotations in the NT for Isaiah?

Posts 13343
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 14 2019 7:58 AM

Paul Bukauskas:

I'm pretty new to Logos but I know that it is very powerful. How can I search for all quotations in the NT for Isaiah?

You can use the New Testament User of the Old Testament interactive, on the Tools menu.

Or you can search for:

{Label Intertext WHERE Corpus ~ "New Testament" AND Relationship ~ "Quotation" AND Source ~ <Isaiah>}

You probably want citations as well as quotations (in this context, citations are explicit quotations). The syntax for that is:

{Label Intertext WHERE Corpus ~ "New Testament" AND Relationship ~ "Quotation" AND Source ~ <Isaiah>} OR {Label Intertext WHERE Corpus ~ "New Testament" AND Relationship ~ "Citation" AND Source ~ <Isaiah>}

Posts 320
Andrew Biddinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 14 2019 9:59 AM

This thread is really helpful. Here's another question: Is there a search that can be done that shows the old testament passages that the new testament quotes? 

Posts 1970
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 14 2019 10:52 AM

Andrew Biddinger:
Is there a search that can be done that shows the old testament passages that the new testament quotes? 

{Label Intertext WHERE Relationship ~ "Citation" AND Target ~ <Matthew-Revelation>} OR 

{Label Intertext WHERE Relationship ~ "Quotation" AND Target ~ <Matthew-Revelation>} OR 

{Label Intertext WHERE Relationship ~ "Echo" AND Target ~ <Matthew-Revelation>} OR

{Label Intertext WHERE Relationship ~ "Allusion" AND Target ~ <Matthew-Revelation>}

NOTE: remove the allusion and echo options depending on what level of "certainty" you wish to include.

Posts 1970
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 14 2019 10:56 AM

BTW, I highly recommend using the interactive as Mark suggested. Much better experience unless, of course, you are wanting to combine this into a larger more complex search.

Posts 320
Andrew Biddinger | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 14 2019 3:25 PM

Thanks, Reuben! That's perfect. 

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS