Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 16 2010 9:15 PM | Locked

What is the check mark for by the Collection name when you select click on Parallel Resource Sets? I assume this is the active Collection for purposes of the Right arrow to change to another resource. It does not seem to be possible to change to a different Collection if the book is in more than one. This would be very handy, since I have some resources in several collections.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 17 2010 8:50 AM | Locked

Harry,

those are your parallel resources.

The check mark can be changed by picking a resource in one of the different sets....then it becomes the default...

not intuitive, I know.....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 7909
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 9:32 AM | Locked

Harry Hahne:

What is the check mark for by the Collection name when you select click on Parallel Resource Sets? I assume this is the active Collection for purposes of the Right arrow to change to another resource. It does not seem to be possible to change to a different Collection if the book is in more than one. This would be very handy, since I have some resources in several collections.

You will be able to change the active set by clicking the column header in the next beta.

Posts 2733
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 9:37 AM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:
You will be able to change the active set by clicking the column header in the next beta.

Wow Bradley, you are always a messenger of great news! The Parallel Resources sets are one of the best things you came with recently. It will be a great improvement. Thanks a lot.

Bohuslav

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 10:31 AM | Locked

Robert Pavich:
those are your parallel resources

I like this feature a lot. It is quicker that clicking the plus tab to get parallel resources.

But I have some questions I would like clarification about and some concerns:

1. The name is confusing if you are coming from version 3, because collections are not necessarily parallel in the same way as a Parallel Resource was in version 3. They may be parallel (like my Bible Dictionaries collection), but they may not (like my Everything But Bibles and Commentaries collection).
  2. Also how are the Parallel Resource Sets similar or different to clicking the plus tab to get parallel resources? If I have a lexicon open, clicking on the plus tab lists other lexicons and the panel says it is looking up parallel resources. Yet what is listed is not the same as Parallel Resource Sets.
  3. In light of 1 and 2, perhaps there needs to  be a new name for this button. Related Resources, perhaps? This would accommodate the fact that sometimes they are in a collection and thus related, but not the same material.
  4. Perhaps someone from Logos could clarify how this feature works: I have the New Bible Dictionary in multiple collections. The Parallel Resource Sets lists it in All But Bibles collection and Bible Dictionaries. But it does not list it in All But Bibles and Commentaries, which also has the same resource. How does the program decide what collections are listed?
  5. I noticed that the check mark can be changed by picking a resource a different set. This is not obvious. Why not just allow a check box above the list that you want to make active?  it also does not change the list if you choose the resource that is already open. I see Bradley says this is coming. Thanks!
  6. I tried opening the New Bible dictionary, which is listed in 2 groups. Then I clicked on the same book in the second list and nothing happened. When I closed the list and reopened, it did not change collections.
  7. There is a bug (I think): If I have a resource in 2 collections, then click on the name of a resource in the second collection. Now when I look the Parallel Resource , the original collection is no longer listed as an option, even though the new resource is listed in both collections.
Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 10:42 AM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:

Let me just say, this is a big improvement over the way // resources were handled in Libronix (IMO)

Posts 9041
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 10:49 AM | Locked

Good questions, Harry.

With Kevin, I, too, like the new approach and am sure I can overcome some of the challenges it presents. As long as I know that when I am setting up collections I am also setting up my parallel resource sets, that will help. It certainly will be easier than having to set up both a collection and a parallel resource set for every instance I want both. However it will force folks to learn about collections and how to set them up.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 7909
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 10:58 AM | Locked

Harry Hahne:

1. The name is confusing if you are coming from version 3, because collections are not necessarily parallel in the same way as a Parallel Resource was in version 3. They may be parallel (like my Bible Dictionaries collection), but they may not (like my Everything But Bibles and Commentaries collection).
  2. Also how are the Parallel Resource Sets similar or different to clicking the plus tab to get parallel resources? If I have a lexicon open, clicking on the plus tab lists other lexicons and the panel says it is looking up parallel resources. Yet what is listed is not the same as Parallel Resource Sets.
  3. In light of 1 and 2, perhaps there needs to  be a new name for this button. Related Resources, perhaps? This would accommodate the fact that sometimes they are in a collection and thus related, but not the same material.
  4. Perhaps someone from Logos could clarify how this feature works: I have the New Bible Dictionary in multiple collections. The Parallel Resource Sets lists it in All But Bibles collection and Bible Dictionaries. But it does not list it in All But Bibles and Commentaries, which also has the same resource. How does the program decide what collections are listed?
  5. I noticed that the check mark can be changed by picking a resource a different set. This is not obvious. Why not just allow a check box above the list that you want to make active?  it also does not change the list if you choose the resource that is already open. I see Bradley says this is coming. Thanks!
  6. I tried opening the New Bible dictionary, which is listed in 2 groups. Then I clicked on the same book in the second list and nothing happened. When I closed the list and reopened, it did not change collections.
  7. There is a bug (I think): If I have a resource in 2 collections, then click on the name of a resource in the second collection. Now when I look the Parallel Resource , the original collection is no longer listed as an option, even though the new resource is listed in both collections.

1. You will be able to "opt out" collections from being considered as parallel resources sets in a future beta (probably after Beta 4).
  2. They seem the same to me; if this isn't fixed for you in Beta 4, please post detailed reproduction instructions with a screenshot.
  3. Future changes should make it more obvious that this feature will be focused on parallel resources.
  4. The drop-down can have multiple pages if you have many collections; try clicking the arrows beside "1 of x" in the bottom right.
  5. -
  6. If you're asking for the second set to be set as the active set when clicking the currently-open resource's title in that column, this should be fixed in a future beta.
  7. If this isn't fixed in Beta 4, please post detailed reproduction instructions with a screenshot.

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 12:06 PM | Locked

I'm trying to catch up on the progress in the betas.  I'm excited to read that L3's Parallel Resource Associations appear to be coming to L4 as "Parallel Resource Sets".

I've read many beta posts and only have a partial picture of how Parallel Resource Sets work.  Could someone please confirm for me if the order that resources will open can be controlled? 

To illustrate: When reading my main bible in L3, two taps of the left-arrow key switched to the HSCB, three taps the NLT.  One tap of the right-arrow key switched to the High Def. NT, two taps the Rev. Interlinear.

I found PRA's incredibly efficient in L3 for many reasons, e.g. I learned the order of resources in my parallel resource associations and could locate a desired resource with barely a conscious thought of how to find it.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 12:09 PM | Locked

Scott S:
Could someone please confirm for me if the order that resources will open can be controlled? 

Yes, they can. My order is controlled by my prioritization.

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 12:39 PM | Locked

Kevin Becker:
Yes, they can. My order is controlled by my prioritization.

That's good news.  Do you think L4 can be setup to work as described in my L3 illustration?

Thanks,

Scott

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 12:46 PM | Locked

Scott S:
That's good news.  Do you think L4 can be setup to work as described in my L3 illustration?

Yes, I think you will be able to get this behavior to work. Setting it up will probably be different than Libronix, but it should work.

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 1:02 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:
You will be able to "opt out" collections from being considered as parallel resources sets in a future beta (probably after Beta 4).

Awesome.

Bradley Grainger:
The drop-down can have multiple pages if you have many collections; try clicking the arrows beside "1 of x" in the bottom right.

Thanks for pointing that out. I missed it. Sometimes it only has lists in one column, sometimes 2 columns. When it only had one column, I assumed that was all it was offering.

Bradley, I appreciate all of your comments. I think this feature has real potential and should be easy to set up.

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 1:07 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:

Also how are the Parallel Resource Sets similar or different to clicking the plus tab to get parallel resources? If I have a lexicon open, clicking on the plus tab lists other lexicons and the panel says it is looking up parallel resources. Yet what is listed is not the same as Parallel Resource Sets.

They seem the same to me; if this isn't fixed for you in Beta 4, please post detailed reproduction instructions with a screenshot.

If you press the + tab, is there a way to control what collection is used? For my Liddell-Scott Lexicon, the + tab It lists just about everything in my library, including Bibles, even though the Greek Lexicons Collection is checked off in Parallel Resource Sets. It seems it worked better at just listing lexicons before this feature was implemented.

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 1:21 PM | Locked

Kevin Becker:
Yes, I think you will be able to get this behavior to work.

Thanks Kevin!

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 11:52 AM | Locked

Harry Hahne:
For my Liddell-Scott Lexicon, the + tab It lists just about everything in my library, including Bibles

This seems to work better in 4.0b beta 4.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS