Logos 6 significantly slower when I scroll, add notes or highlights.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 52
Sam Choi | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 8 2015 2:21 PM

Dear Logos,

I have a Macbook pro Retina with 2nd Gen. flash drive and 16gb of ram. I say this to make the point that I have a fast computer. 

I upgraded from Logos 4 platinum with crossbreed to logos 6 platinum. 

The difference is staggering! When I scroll up and down with only have a few book open, the program freezes for a few seconds. When I add notes or highlights it does the same. 

Is this being worked on? 

Are others experiencing this? 

Sincerely, Sam 

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 8 2015 3:10 PM

Logos 6 performance is sluggish for me too, especially with scrolling and navigation in resources with Hebrew.

Macbook Pro (retina), OSX 10.10.whatever is the latest, 2.3 i7, 256 SSD, 16GB RAM, Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Posts 582
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 8 2015 3:14 PM

Sam, can you give more specifics? Is the problem with particular resources? (Hebrew rendering is a current known issue on Mac)

Perhaps a screencast would best demonstrate what you're seeing?

Posts 582
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 8 2015 3:14 PM

Brian W. Davidson:

Logos 6 performance is sluggish for me too, especially with scrolling and navigation in resources with Hebrew.

Macbook Pro (retina), OSX 10.10.whatever is the latest, 2.3 i7, 256 SSD, 16GB RAM, Graphics: Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

We have just made some major changes to Hebrew rendering on Mac that will be coming soon.

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 8 2015 3:40 PM

That is fantastic news! Thank you.

Posts 705
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 8 2015 4:01 PM

Alan Palmer (Faithlife):

Sam, can you give more specifics? Is the problem with particular resources? (Hebrew rendering is a current known issue on Mac)

Perhaps a screencast would best demonstrate what you're seeing?

http://www.screencast.com/t/BmCIDjQo

Posts 582
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 8 2015 4:35 PM

JH:

This does seem out of the ordinary. I'm curious about your machine specs. Additionally, please enable logging (https://www.logos.com/support/logos6/mac/report-problem) and use the "Sample" functionality during the long pause opening ESV. This may help us understand what your computer is doing during that time.

Posts 705
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 8 2015 7:06 PM

Alan Palmer (Faithlife):

JH:

This does seem out of the ordinary. I'm curious about your machine specs. Additionally, please enable logging (https://www.logos.com/support/logos6/mac/report-problem) and use the "Sample" functionality during the long pause opening ESV. This may help us understand what your computer is doing during that time.

Done! Who do I email the log files to? I don't feel comfortable posting them to the public forum.

Posts 582
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 9:20 AM

Feel free to send them to me. My name is shown and email is first.last@faithlife.com.

Posts 582
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 9:59 AM

Thank for you the logs. I did a quick analysis of the sampling report and I would like for you to try to disable the Visual Cue in your program settings and report back with whether that made a difference.

Posts 705
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 10:16 AM

Alan Palmer (Faithlife):

Thank for you the logs. I did a quick analysis of the sampling report and I would like for you to try to disable the Visual Cue in your program settings and report back with whether that made a difference.

Yes, it did shave a couple of seconds off the opening time for the ESV. I'm not sure if it did anything to improve the right click menu populate time, however. Thanks - and keep up the good work!

Posts 582
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 10:45 AM

Glad that helped.

Can you provide similar logs for the right click context menu issue you are having?

Posts 582
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 2:07 PM

JH, I'm curious about your hardware configuration. Can you provide your machine specs?

Posts 705
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 2:14 PM

Alan Palmer (Faithlife):

JH, I'm curious about your hardware configuration. Can you provide your machine specs?

Posts 582
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 3:42 PM

Thank you for your patience and diligence in getting to the bottom of this.

I have to admit, I was expecting less of a machine. Sad I'm a bit dumbfounded given those specs that you would be seeing the type of slowness that you are.

I still have an idea I would like to try. Since you are running 10.10, I would like to switch your download mechanism (similar to what we suggested for users experiencing the infamous "Yosemite download bug" discussed at length on these forums).

Follow Step 1 here: https://www.logos.com/support/logos6/mac/error-yosemite.

Reboot your machine and try launching Logos again.

Posts 705
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 4:38 PM

Alan Palmer (Faithlife):

Thank you for your patience and diligence in getting to the bottom of this.

I have to admit, I was expecting less of a machine. Sad I'm a bit dumbfounded given those specs that you would be seeing the type of slowness that you are.

I still have an idea I would like to try. Since you are running 10.10, I would like to switch your download mechanism (similar to what we suggested for users experiencing the infamous "Yosemite download bug" discussed at length on these forums).

Follow Step 1 here: https://www.logos.com/support/logos6/mac/error-yosemite.

Reboot your machine and try launching Logos again.

That definitely put more spring in Logos's step. Documents seem to open faster and the right click menu also populated more quickly. It is still not lightning fast, but definitely an improvement that is noticeable. After a little use, it seems to improve a even more (perhaps things are being cached).

Keep up the great work!

Posts 582
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 9 2015 4:46 PM

JH, Glad to hear this made a significant improvement! Thank you again for your help in providing the logs and screencast to help diagnose the problem.

Apologies to Sam for me and JH hijacking his thread. Embarrassed

Sam, if you are still having problems and are running 10.10 (Yosemite), you might even try the same steps. Otherwise, screencasts and logs with sampling would be most helpful to investigate your issue.

Posts 52
Sam Choi | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 10 2015 12:02 PM

I understand now. I just checked and it is only sluggish when I use Hebrew. 

If a new update is coming out, I am grateful! 

Thanks!

Posts 52
Sam Choi | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 15 2015 1:52 PM

I just updated Logos and it said that scrolling was improved. 

I honestly don't know if I see any improvement. Hebrew is still freakishly slow and freezes up. 

Posts 582
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 15 2015 2:21 PM

The version you just updated to was probably 6.0b? I believe the Hebrew performance improvements on mac were made for 6.1.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS