Devotions help needed

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 12 2015 3:59 PM

Hello fellow Logosians,

I am in need of some help and I thought I might be able to find it here on the forums.

I am currently on a Missions trip to Haiti that I helped to lead and put together.  Our Pastor was supposed to come, but fell ill and cancelled on Friday (We left on Saturday).  I am now tasked with putting together our devotional time at night.  I have never filled this role before and this is an entirely new area that the Lord has led me to.  I led devotions for the first time last night and then again tonight, but so far I have only been able to put together 3 devotionals.  Each devotional is around 20 to 30 minutes.  Last night was "Knowing God's Will", Tonight was "The Bread of Life" and tomorrow will be "How Salty are You?"

That's where my problem begins, I am out of ideas and time to put together more devotionals, and my mind is tired and I am having trouble coming up with ideas.  I am leading a group of 20, half of which are college aged adults.  I am trying to challenge them with the devotions and make them think.

Would anyone have devotions that they've used in the past that might fit this criteria that they would be willing to share with me?  I will give you full credit to the group if anyone is willing to help me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts 516
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 12 2015 8:34 PM

Hi Michael, your devotions remind me of what Barry Davis did in his Topical Sermons series (https://www.logos.com/product/43130/topical-sermons).

Here is the contents of vol.1:

1. MY FAITH FOR ALL TO SEE
2. DECLARING THE GOSPEL
3. WHAT THE CROSS REVEALED
4. OUR QUEST FOR JESUS
5. WHAT GOD HAS PREPARED
6. WHAT EVERYONE NEEDS TO CONFESS
7. DEFINING THE SON OF GOD
8. THE 3S FORMULA FOR SPIRITUAL SUCCESS
9. WHO IS DEAD TO GOD?
10. JESUS’ AUTHORITY
11. PROFESSION, POSSESSION, CONFESSION
12. SALVATION DEMONSTRATED
13. JESUS PROVES HIS LOVE FOR US
14. WHICH WILL IT BE?
15. A GOD YOU CAN COUNT ON
16. A GOD YOU CAN TRUST
17. JESUS—THEN, NOW, AND FOREVER
18. WHAT JOHN SAID
19. THE NEED FOR ONE ANOTHERING
20. LIFE CHANGE IN THREE TENSES
21. HOW THE GOSPEL FUNCTIONS
22. GOD’S WRATH
23. FOUR FACETS OF LOVE
24. THREE KNOCKS AT THE DOOR
25. WHO ARE YOU?
26. YOU ARE INVITED!
27. YOUR SPIRITUAL LIFE
28. THE SAVIOR
29. GRASPING TRUE WORSHIP
30. WHAT A BORN AGAIN PERSON LOOKS LIKE
31. FOUR FRIENDS OF JESUS
32. WHAT TYPE OF FAITH DO YOU HAVE?
33. TERMS OF ENDEARMENT
34. WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
35. THE POWER OF THE WORD
36. “LAID UP” FOR YOU!
37. GRACE OVERFLOWING
38. WHAT JESUS DOES
39. DO THIS! UNTIL JESUS COMES
40. AN EXPLANATION OF PRAYER
41. BASIC EQUIPMENT FOR DISCIPLES
42. TRANSLATED, TRANSFORMED, TRANSFIGURED
43. GOD GIVES US REST
44. OUR BELOVED LORD
45. HOW DO YOU WALK?
46. THE TESTIMONY OF THE SPIRIT
47. SAVED BY JESUS
48. WHERE IS YOUR PLACE?
49. SOUL FOCUS
50. WALK WORTHY
51. GET READY
52. HOW TO BE GOOD FOR GOD

Here is #32, which would make a nice devotion:

32. WHAT TYPE OF FAITH DO YOU HAVE?

ILLUSTRATION:

32Anxiously anticipating the quite premature delivery of our triplets, I will never forget the moment that the doctor looked at me and announced, “They’re all alive!” It was not a foregone conclusion (at least for one of them) and until that report, my wife and I were in suspense. All of the wishful thinking—even from certified medical professionals—could not alleviate that suspense, turning possibility into actuality. I could believe all I wanted in a successful delivery, but I had no promise to rely on, either from God or the doctors, and the intensity of my believing it had nothing to do with the state of affairs. My confidence developed entirely on the words that the doctor uttered. Similarly, the gospel is news because it reports a completed event. Faith does not make something true, but embraces the truth.

1. NO FAITH—THE UNBELIEVER

Now the just shall live by faith: but if any man draw back, my soul shall have no pleasure in him.—Hebrews 10:38

2. LITTLE FAITH—THE DOUBTER

Which when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?—Matthew 16:8

3. GROWING FAITH—THE HEALTHY SAINT

We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is meet, because that your faith groweth exceedingly, and the charity of every one of you all toward each other aboundeth.—2 Thessalonians 1:3

4. STRONG FAITH—THE SENIOR SAINT

He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God.—Romans 4:20

5. FULL OF FAITH—THE FEARLESS SAINT

And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and miracles among the people.—Acts 6:8

Barry L. Davis, 52 Topical Sermons, vol. 1, Pulpit Outlines Series (Barry Davis, 2013), 67–68.

So, at this point you just add to it by expounding on the truth in these verses.

Hope this helps.

Posts 1841
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 13 2015 12:35 AM

I'll share my notes from Logos resources regarding Salt

Matthew 5:13 - You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

1. Purpose of SALT:

1. Seasoning; if food has no flavor then it has no value. Illustration: Job 6:6; (you can't eat egg without SALT; lol)
  2. Preservatives/Prevent Decay; Illustrations: (1)In Asia, almost every street merchant vendors used preservatives. (2)Cup of noodles, Indomie, Japanese Ramen (3)Back in the day peeps use no refrigerator, they used salt to preserve food.
  3. Money; Roman soldiers were paid in something consisting of salt called Solarium, where we derive the word Salary. A quote: A soldier's salary was cut if he "was not worth his salt"
  4. Covenant binding; 2 Chronicles 13:5 - legality of document, when 2 entered into agreement, they would eat SALT and said "the covenant is binding

2. Why we need to become SALT?

1. SALT exercise negative function; We must prevent moral decay of the world. Warn believers and unbelievers. (SENT to the world, BUT NOT of the world, IN the world but LOVE NOT the world)

3. How can SALTiness be restored?

1. It CANNOT. (it is a warning from impurity, don't lose our effectiveness, lest we become no value to Him)

4. Last purpose of SALT

1. Anti-Septic;
  • If Christians are removed from the world, what would happen??  Demons released & Hell breaks lose.
  • Sodom & Gomorrah; God said if there are 40, 30, 20, or even 10 righteous people in Sodom & Gomorrah, He would spare the entire population. Believers in the world preserve the world from the wrath of God.

Young people, BE THE HISTORY MAKER!

Posts 4688
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 13 2015 3:04 AM

Michael:
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That is a great start – don't forget that you are not there to tell a new story but an old one. A story that has been successfully told many many times. God has spoken to many people with ideas and illustrations, it is more than likely that he will speak to you through some of these rather than to you directly.

Do not be afraid to plagiarise – nobody went to hell for faithfully repeating the word of God.

Why not look at the speeches Paul made to the various people that he preached to and pick up on the different emphasis in each situation.

Tom Wright does a good job of this in Acts for Everyone. If you ever need a quick (and inspired) sermon outline the Everyone series is a great resource.

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 13 2015 3:05 AM

Thank you so much Mike!  I've been a little apprehensive about the content of the devotionals, and I've been praying that I would speak His words.  When I reviewed your notes on salt, I saw many of the same thoughts that I used (I missed "not being worth their salt and Sodom & Gomorrah).  I love when I get confirmations from the Lord!  Thank you again, you've provided a great encouragement to me.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS