Hebrew Language Search - Research on Mourning in Hebrew Bible

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3
Justin Orr | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 14 2015 5:57 PM

Hello, I'm new Logos user and speak modern Hebrew. I am having difficulty learning how to search using Hebrew because there seem to be too many places to look. I am doing research on mourning in the Hebrew Bible for my Ph.D. I am trying to learn how to set up textual searches in the AFAT or Lexham Hebrew Syntax Bible. 

I need to search the entire Hebrew Bible for occurrences of מאס AND נחם . That is to search the Bible for occurrences of "mem-aleph-samek AND nun-chet-final-mem" ; or where those two terms appear together. I am looking to confirm whether Job 42:6  depicts Job as repenting from dust and ashes (i.e. ritual mourning).

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 6:30 PM

lemma:מאס.2 OR lemma:נחם

This yields 110 results in 102 verses (more than one occurrence in some verses).

BTW:  Welcome to the forums.  Hopefully they will be helpful.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3
Justin Orr | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 7:09 PM

Wonderful! But how do I set that up to do the search so I can see the results? I would like to compare the occurrences across the Hebrew Bible so that I can determine the way that these two terms are used in conjunction with one another (preferably in a mourning context)? 

So, what would I do to see those verse results? Or where do I put the first line of text you provided with the lemma language? I am sorry, I am a very poor Logos learner at this point. Does it provide pdf of the verses? 

Thank you for your help! 

Posts 26747
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 7:29 PM
  1. Open a Search (Magnifying glass icon)
  2. Set search type to Bible to Morph (see George's correction)
  3. set resource searched to BHS
  4. enter argument shown by George

If that makes no sense to you read https://wiki.logos.com/Search_HELP   and https://wiki.logos.com/Detailed_Search_Help

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 7:38 PM

Open a search dialogue and choose "morph."  Enter the search criterion I gave you and go.  Note that I used the BHW which is version 4.18.  If you don't have that but want to use the LHB, the search is the same though it may be different for AFAT (I haven't checked).  When you enter the Hebrew word (one at a time) note that there is a drop-down from which you need to choose the lemma for the search.   I used the operator "OR" (all caps) because using "AND" would require that both be present in the same verse.  With the "OR" operator it is either of them.  You can search the entire Hebrew text or only a portion of it depending on your choice—I chose "All Passages."

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 14 2015 7:40 PM

MJ. Smith:

1. Open a Search (Magnifying glass icon)
  2. Set search type to Bible
  3. set resource searched to BHS
  4. enter argument shown by George

If that makes no sense to you read https://wiki.logos.com/Search_HELP   and https://wiki.logos.com/Detailed_Search_Help

No !  Choose "morph" since a bible search will require an exact match of the form you enter.  You want to search for the lemma, i.e., the dictionary form.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 161
David Roberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 15 2015 5:30 AM

Here's a YouTube video from Logos' official channel that shows you where to click.

Posts 161
David Roberts | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 15 2015 5:31 AM

I guess YouTube is blocked here... sigh.

Copy and paste this into YouTube:
Logos 4 Tutorial: How to Do a Fast Search in Hebrew | Logos 4 Bible Software Training

Posts 3
Justin Orr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 15 2015 10:08 AM

Mr. George, I found some PDF's of morphology codes, but I am still a little confused after watching the videos you so graciously have provided to for me. 

I want to search for verses where נחם AND מאס occur together in the same verse. I only received 47 results though, not 102. What does the "lexeme.2" refer to? I am not understanding this code...

And if I am to search for where these two words are cojoined with a "waw", how do I add that with the lexeme search? Is it: "lemma:מאס.2 OR lemma:נחם WITH וְ" or do I search: @lemma:מאס.2 OR lemma:נחםC (C = conjunction)? 

You are all MOST kind. I am truly touched by your kindness and helpfulness! 

Posts 26747
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 15 2015 12:28 PM

When you think of words there are 3 basic forms:

1. Manuscript form - exactly what is in the Bible
  2. Lemma form - the manuscript form's "dictionary entry" form i.e. what you would look for in the lexicon
  3. Root form = the root form of the lemma

When there is a number associated with the lemma or root it means that there are multiple words with that same spelling (homoglyphs).

George searched with OR; you search with AND so your counts should be lower than George's.

I'm not able to test the format for adding the conjoined waw at the moment ... so having blown it once I'll let someone else handle that.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 15 2015 1:18 PM

I see that MJ has answered most of your question.  I told you that having the two terms conjoined with "OR" would find verses where EITHER word appeared, but apparently you want BOTH terms in the same verse.  Also, you indicate that you wish to have them conjoined with a waw.  I have run a search for this, but it does not appear in the Hebrew bible.

george
gfsomsel

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS