New Bug in Text Selection on 6.0b 6.0.2.0042?

Page 2 of 3 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 53 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 18826
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 17 2015 8:15 PM

Dale Garman:

I'm having same problem and it is driving me nuts as it essentially makes it impossible to control what is being copied as it takes in many verses and even whole paragraphs.  I had this problem when 6 came out, but it seemed that if I pressed alt key at same time, the highlighting was controlled.  Now nothing controls it.  This is obviously a very significant bug since most of us use the product to prepare lessons and sermons and if you can't copy correctly then you are in a world of hurt.

It doesn't take any controlled test to find, just try to highlight any verse or section in the middle of a paragraph and you will get it.

Dale this isn't a bug, it's the new "Smart Selection" "feature" Logos 6 introduced. See my comments about it in my post above. You can and will want to turn off that "feature" since you don't like it. I don't blame you, I don't like it either. I have yet to meet anyone who does.

Posts 77
Dale Garman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 17 2015 8:17 PM

I have tried turning smart selection off with no change to the problem.  I agree that Smart selection is actually quite dumb in the way it acts.

Posts 22275
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 17 2015 11:05 PM

Dale Garman:
I have tried turning smart selection off with no change to the problem

In which case can you describe what you are seeing in more detail please?

Posts 18826
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 17 2015 11:28 PM

Dale Garman:

I have tried turning smart selection off with no change to the problem.  I agree that Smart selection is actually quite dumb in the way it acts.

Dale, is your problem similar to the one in the screencast that Bill posted here to demonstrate the bug he's seeing?

If it's different, could you post a screencast too? Jing is free pretty easy to use to record actions on screen (see also Alan Palmer's post here).

Posts 22275
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 1:56 AM

BillS:
Based on Bohuslav's input in this thread, I no longer believe I'm the only one.

Me as well - I posted a separate thread at https://community.logos.com/forums/t/99428.aspx 

I only see this behaviour with the CBV panel open. Does that affect things for you as well?

Posts 6
Chip Bell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 4:59 AM

BillS:
I no longer believe I'm the only one.

Graham Criddle:
Me as well. I only see this behaviour with the CBV panel open.

I'm having the same problems described above. Makes CBV unusable for me. For the record, I've turned off smart select. Still have the same problem. IF the CBV panel is closed, no problem. With it open, I get erratic results when trying to select text. It behaves AS IF smart select was still on.

Posts 77
Dale Garman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 5:02 AM

Dumb question, but what is the CBV panel?

Posts 22275
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 5:03 AM

Dale Garman:
but what is the CBV panel?

"Copy Bible Verses" available from the Tools panel

(And apologies for using an acronym which wasn't clear)

Posts 77
Dale Garman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 5:06 AM

thanks for the quick response.  Followup question.  I think that is the panel you get when you begin to highlight a section of text and right click?  If so how would you copy without that panel opening if you wanted to retain the reference and the text formatting?

Posts 22275
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 5:11 AM

Dale Garman:
I think that is the panel you get when you begin to highlight a section of text and right click?

No that is the "right-click menu"

The Copy Bible Verses tool is a separate panel - used to format text when copying to other applications

Posts 77
Dale Garman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 5:14 AM

I'm was not aware of that panel and never used it.  So my problem is not because that panel is open.  I have always used the right click method on highlighted text.  And the process of highlighting is where I cannot control what is highlighted

Posts 3676
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 6:26 PM

Graham Criddle:

BillS:

Me as well - I posted a separate thread at https://community.logos.com/forums/t/99428.aspx 

I only see this behaviour with the CBV panel open. Does that affect things for you as well?

On first blush, it does seem improved (i.e., it hasn't happened in the 1st few minutes since closing that panel in my layout). I'll leave the panel closed (unless I need it) & will keep testing it without CBV open.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 3676
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 7:27 PM

BillS:

Graham Criddle:

BillS:

On first blush, it does seem improved (i.e., it hasn't happened in the 1st few minutes since closing that panel in my layout). I'll leave the panel closed (unless I need it) & will keep testing it without CBV open.

Thanks for the suggestion!

After an hour or so of use, seems improved, but still has problems... When problem occurs, same behavior as before--selects several pages down, with beginning of selection at end of where I tried to select. Still selecting text right & down... Smart Pick still OFF.

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 3676
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 9:25 PM

BillS:
After an hour or so of use, seems improved, but still has problems... When problem occurs, same behavior as before--selects several pages down, with beginning of selection at end of where I tried to select. Still selecting text right & down... Smart Pick still OFF.

Another instance of the bug (new unwanted behavior with this release) is unchanged, near 100% failure:

1. Select text.
  2. Highlight it.
  3. Press Shift & then attempt to extend the text (in order to extend the highlight) by left clicking at a later location.
  4. On left click, what SHOULD be the new end-of-highlight is the beginning, & new end-of-selection is several screens down.

Thanks for listening...

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 25282
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 10:34 PM

I can get to occur some of the time in ESV with Smart Text Selection

• select a paragraph  e.g. Gen 26:12-16
  • scroll selection off-screen
  • Shift-click at start of a paragraph e.g. v. 23

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 32
Kevin M. Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 7:33 AM

Smart Select is turned off. 

Posts 31
Aaron Brockmeier | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 10:46 AM

I've got the same problem on my Macbook. I just closed the CBV panel and that seems to improve things (although often when I'm highlighting it's to use the CVB). 

Posts 581
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 12:00 PM

Does the problem go away if you disable all visual filters on the resource you are selecting? (if so, I'd love to know which visual filters were enabled)

Posts 6
Chip Bell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 2:45 PM

Response to Alan's question: I still have the same problems. It's not always the same results--very inconsistent in its behavior--but the bottom line is that I cannot use the mouse to select ONLY the text I want to select. It jumps ahead to include many paragraphs or chapters. It also often "flips" as I extend the selection, so that at a certain point, everything above the cursor is deselected and several paragraphs below it are selected all at once.

Posts 581
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 3:01 PM

Chip, the only way I have seen consistent reproducing of the problem, it was related to having the "Links to open panels" visual filter enabled. Once I disabled that in all my resources, I was able to select without problem. 

I have created a case for it now that I have consistent repro steps.

Page 2 of 3 (54 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS