Please add Martin Luther King, Jr. resources

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 9:00 PM

Rayner:
Does Logos have a Europe rep?  I saw recently that an Australian one had been appointed, but would love to know whether they're reaching out to, for example, French and German markets?

Yes, they have both a French rep (Joseph Grigoletti) and a German rep (Thomas Reiter). You can find these people answering questions on the Français and Deutsch forums.

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 1:29 AM

George Somsel:
I recently went to see the Hobbit movie

I did not see the first two Hobbit movies but recently went to see the third on a whim. I hated it. I shouldn't have been surprised, since its subtitle was "The Battle of the Five Armies." It was all about gearing up for a battle, the battle itself, and denouement after the battle. If there's anything I dislike more than gratuitous sex scenes in movies it's war. Mind you, I don't mind sex scenes that aren't gratuitous (if it's integral to the story and tastefully done, it's OK with me), but very few of them aren't. And as a pacifist, I find pretty much all war gratuitous. (Again, if it's integral to a historical film, it's OK, but it's hard to depict war "tastefully" and I often have to look away.) I loved the book The Hobbit, and I don't recall it being so focused on war. Granted, I saw only the final movie, and the end of the Hobbit did have a battle in it, so I should have expected this. But oh, I much prefer the battles in my imagination to ones depicted on the big screen with special effects to make them all the more horrific.

Posts 29136
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 1:52 AM

You are correct that the Hobbit was not oriented towards a war in the same way that the trilogy is. But you must understand the relationship between Tolkien's study of Beowulf/Old English/Icelandic sagas etc. He has some incredibly clever wordplay based on his knowledge of Indo-European roots in the Old Norse/Anglo-Saxon part of the world. Then you have to love him for converting C.S. Lewis to Christianity ....

example of word-play

hobbit (Noun) fictional word, from the Old English "hol byldan" meaning to build a hole; hole-dweller or hole-builder.  A race inhabiting J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth.  Plural: hobbits

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 5:43 AM

Plus the hobbit (written 1919 - 1939 when it was eventually published) was written before during and after WW1 and was published around when the opening salvos of ww2 had been fired, while the trilogy that came later was written 1940-1954.

In the book (as a fan of the books I re-read them leading up to the most recent movie) a lot of the action is implied as Bilbo is knocked unconscious and spends much of the battle in that state. The book spent a lot of time on the politics and build up to battle. but then the battle happens off stage and the story picks back up after the fact.

I recently picked up a pair of first edition LOTR trilogy books for a dollar each. Not the best shape, but I'm still tickled to have them.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Platinum & Baptist Platinum.

Posts 298
LogosEmployee
Matthew Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 2:43 PM

Hey Everyone!

We recently began adding resources from Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
You can help us get them through Pre-Pub here: https://www.logos.com/product/47648/fortress-martin-luther-king-jr-collection

Posts 2651
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 2:56 PM

Where Do We Go From Here:Chaos Or Community Martin Luther King, Jr. How do we go from discussion of the merits of including an American giant of morality and leadership and the impact of his theology in the arena of society to Tolkien, movies, and a provocateur.

Surely, there is no better argument for the works of MLK, Jr. being readily available to Christian leaders of today. As Christ repeatedly pointed to the spurned Samaritans of his day for attention and inclusion for brotherly kindness. Certainly the disparaged sons and daughters of the once and some might argue still enslaved citizens be singled out for careful respect and brotherhood.

It is a mistake to believe that we will apprehend the good by avoidance and ignorance. We must pay careful attention that our faculties not be led astray by assumption and cursory judgement that all is well with our ethics. As elnwood challenged, Strength to Love is a fitting collection of sermons for the Christian to contemplate for his journey to love his God and to love his disadvantaged brothers and sisters.

Edit:

Thank you Matthew, I just ordered the Fortress Collection you caption above.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 10970
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 10:56 AM

Beloved, you made an excellent point.  

Initially I thought the Samaritan example maybe in the ballpark, but not quite there.  Then I remembered the disciples were quite willing to launch a nuclear tactical device (today's 1960s method) on the village.  I'd assume, given the Pharisee denegration of Samaritans, and the hatred between the Samaritans and the Judeans, that Jesus' arrival in Jerusalem, after a night with the Samaritans might not have set well.  Yet, he seemed to have intensionally done just that.

In contrast, this thread kind of bothers me. I personally don't value MLK, nor any other pastor for that matter.  I do value his sermons.  The original suggestion is a good one, if maybe difficult. And I would like more participation from 'Atlanta'.  But the quick racializing, followed by ascerbic diatribes against gays (I guess they're in the same pot as MLK?).  I don't see the value of saying to 'be more Christian' (like who ... Jesus' apostles?), or 'be more nice' (again, like who?).

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 559
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 25 2015 12:40 PM

While I appreciate that the Fortress Martin Luther King Jr. Collection adds five resources about his work and legacy, are we any closer to adding in texts written by him (eg books, letters, sermons)?

Posts 559
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2016 9:40 AM

*Bump*

I know this thread is a year cold, but I thought it could benefit from fresh eyes. Any chance we could get more examples of Martin Luther King's own writings and speeches rather than monographs considering his legacy?

Posts 559
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 27 2020 6:22 PM

Beloved Amodeo:

I heartily support this wonderful suggestion. There are very informative and important works available for Faithlife to include among its offerings just a few I include below. 

The Papers of Martin Luther King, Jr. Volume 1 

The Papers of Martin Luther King, Jr. Volume 2 

The Papers of Martin Luther King, Jr. Volume 3 

The Papers of Martin Luther King, Jr. Volume 4 

The Papers of Martin Luther King, Jr. Volume 5 

The Papers of Martin Luther King, Jr. Volume 6

The Papers of Martin Luther King, Jr. Volume 7 

A Testament of Hope:The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr. 

I also would like to see titles on civil rights perhaps Noet can carry these works. Two very well done volumes are the following:

Reporting Civil Rights: The Library of America Edition 

These would be invaluable in Logos and I do hope we can get them sooner rather than later. 

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS