Please add Martin Luther King, Jr. resources

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 476
elnwood | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 16 2015 3:52 PM

Martin Luther King weekend is coming up. There are currently no Martin Luther King resources in Logos or Vyrso, and there are plenty of sermons, speeches, and letters that would be welcome additions.

Posts 2305
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 4:50 PM

elnwood:
Martin Luther King weekend is coming up. There are currently no Martin Luther King resources in Logos or Vyrso, and there are plenty of sermons, speeches, and letters that would be welcome additions.

I heartily support this wonderful suggestion. There are very informative and important works available for Faithlife to include among its offerings just a few I include below. 

The Papers of Martin Luther King, Jr. Volume 1 

The Papers of Martin Luther King, Jr. Volume 2 

The Papers of Martin Luther King, Jr. Volume 3 

The Papers of Martin Luther King, Jr. Volume 4 

The Papers of Martin Luther King, Jr. Volume 5 

The Papers of Martin Luther King, Jr. Volume 6

The Papers of Martin Luther King, Jr. Volume 7 

A Testament of Hope:The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr. 

I also would like to see titles on civil rights perhaps Noet can carry these works. Two very well done volumes are the following:

Reporting Civil Rights: The Library of America Edition 

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 5:21 PM

Excellent suggtion, elnwood, and choices Beloved.

Indeed I'd like to see more access to pastors that present in the large Afracan American congregations.  Not being PC; but having enjoyed the Navajo way of thinking, I think learning more is quite useful.

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 16 2015 5:56 PM

Denise:

Excellent suggtion, elnwood, and choices Beloved.

Indeed I'd like to see more access to pastors that present in the large Afracan American congregations.  Not being PC; but having enjoyed the Navajo way of thinking, I think learning more is quite useful.

Absolutely.  Yes to MLK works and yes to non-white authors/speakers.  (The near complete absence of women authors, and also, I think, non-white authors from the March Madness selection list made me concerned that men mostly searching for white male authors leads to the ongoing focus upon more white male authors.  There's not much one can do about the past, but in the present, there are various African and Asian commentaries that  could be prioritized as additions, which I'm sure would increase the marketability of Logos.)

Posts 1708
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 7:00 AM

While many might have the expectation that King's work is sort of owned by humanity, the King Estate doesn't view them that way, and in fact, tightly controls his speeches, papers, etc., Note that the recent movie had to paraphrase MLK, not quote him. It's also possible that they don't want his actual theological views widely known and examined.

This probably makes them prohibitively expensive from a royalty perspective. Note the works that Beloved cites above and how pricey they are. I also note they are not available in Kindle. Some estates appear to be very suspicious of electronic publishing. (Recall the wait for C. S. Lewis.) 

A Logos staffer might have already pointed this out in a previous annual "Where's MLK" thread.

Win 10 Android 8.1 Fire OS 5

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 8:03 AM

I would be interested in these for their historic importance. however, as I recall his theology was... interesting...

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 9:14 AM

Robert's comment is probably pretty accurate.  And abondservant probably pretty representative of the forum.  Needs to be useful for Sunday mornings.

And it's true ... white-guy stuff really is the cat's meow (sells). The issue of half of America is currently not guys.  And the other issue of half of America soon to not be white.  Those are curious but not meow-qualifying.   (I didn't want to mention the issue of 'the rest of the world'; not sure Logos knows about them.)

Posts 18670
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 1:51 PM

elnwood:
Martin Luther King weekend is coming up.

Also the Oscar-nominated film "Selma" is bringing more attention to King's life and legacy.

Robert M. Warren:

While many might have the expectation that King's work is sort of owned by humanity, the King Estate doesn't view them that way, and in fact, tightly controls his speeches, papers, etc., Note that the recent movie had to paraphrase MLK, not quote him. It's also possible that they don't want his actual theological views widely known and examined.

This probably makes them prohibitively expensive from a royalty perspective.

Well, there are quite a number of them that have been approved by the King Estate in Kindle format -- all the ones with "(King Legacy)" at the end of their title on Amazon. They no doubt reveal his actual theological views, and they aren't that expensive. Not sure what the royalty arrangements are with Amazon; maybe they are taking a loss on these. But if they aren't, then Faithlife should be able to sell them too. This would make an excellent collection, all from the same publisher too, so it should be quite possible to work out:

Posts 476
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 8:28 AM

Denise:

Robert's comment is probably pretty accurate.  And abondservant probably pretty representative of the forum.  Needs to be useful for Sunday mornings.

I've read through his sermon collection "Strength to Love," and found it moving, and excellent exposition. I think it has tremendous value, and not just historically, and I recommend that book to all of you.

That said, his theology in many places have shortcomings. He caricatures Calvinism, and he drives a wedge between the ethics of the Old Testament and the New Testament. I'm a conservative Calvinistic baptist, and these things do matter to me.

But having said that, his exposition and application of Jesus' New Testament ethics is so profound, so powerful, and King is so knowledgeable and so erudite (he had a doctorate, and it shows), that I think his sermons ought to be read by preachers and layman today.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts 476
elnwood | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 8:35 AM

I issue a Martin Luther King day challenge to everyone to read his collection of sermons "Strength to Love." We should read or listen to his sermons before judging and dismissing their worth in Logos.

If you read through it and think it doesn't deserve to be in Logos or Vyrso, post back here and say so.

Posts 18670
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 10:58 AM

elnwood:
If you read through it and think it doesn't deserve to be in Logos or Vyrso, post back here and say so.

I don't think there's any such thing as a book of sermons that "doesn't deserve to be in Logos or Vyrso." There are plenty of sermons that I wouldn't agree with 100%, or even find much at all in them of value, but that doesn't mean someone wouldn't, and Logos is a big tent, inclusive of all (well, most) theological streams these days. So yes, let's have them, if they are available to have.

Posts 1708
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 11:48 AM

So there.

Win 10 Android 8.1 Fire OS 5

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 5:28 PM

Denise:

And it's true ... white-guy stuff really is the cat's meow (sells). The issue of half of America is currently not guys.  And the other issue of half of America soon to not be white.  Those are curious but not meow-qualifying.   (I didn't want to mention the issue of 'the rest of the world'; not sure Logos knows about them.)

Does Logos have a Europe rep?  I saw recently that an Australian one had been appointed, but would love to know whether they're reaching out to, for example, French and German markets?

Posts 71
Brian Huddleston | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 5:52 PM

There are 4 of his sermons taken from "Strength to Love" in A Treasury of Great Preaching, Vol. 12.

The titles are: "The Answer to a Perplexing Question", "How Should a Christian View Communism?", "The Man who was a Fool", and "Shattered Dreams".

Wylie, TX

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 7:26 PM

Uhhh, Rosie, unless they've caved to pressure, "Selma" has not been nominated for an Oscar (who cares anyway? I.e., other than race-hustler Al Sharpton [I will not give him the title most ascribe to him]).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 26533
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 7:40 PM

Uhhhh. George, you've got your facts wrong including the reference to pressure and very unusual for you, your language offends me.

"The most obvious snub was “Selma,” Ava DuVernay’s moving biopic about Martin Luther King Jr. Despite a nod for best picture and best original song (for Common and John Legend’s recent Golden Globe-winning “Glory”), the film’s director and actors were shut out in their respective categories.  David Oyelowo missed out on a best actor nomination, but more surprisingly, Ava DuVernay was not acknowledged in the best director category, a nomination that would have been the first for an African American woman."

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 7:42 PM

Then why is Al "Tawana Brawley" Sharpton making a stink about there not being black nominees?

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 26533
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 7:52 PM

My news reading has not included anything from Rev. Sharpton in recent weeks so I haven't clue; and, in fact, when I do have reason to follow him, I often find him a bit puzzling as he speaks "persuasion" and I read "informal logic" i.e. he speaks a foreign language.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18670
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 8:46 PM

George Somsel:

Then why is Al "Tawana Brawley" Sharpton making a stink about there not being black nominees?

He's making a stink about there not being black nominees for best actor/actress.

Selma was nominated for Best Picture and Best Original Song:

http://oscar.go.com/nominees?cid=oscars_nominees_announcement_cadillac 

This is the first year that I recall hearing so much of the word "snub" for films that were nominated in other categories.

Blockbuster 'Lego Movie' snubbed by Oscars (Lego Movie was nominated for Best Original Song ("Everything Is Awesome")

29 Oscar Snubs & Surprises We Cannot Believe Actually Happened (American Sniper was "snubbed" for Best Director but was nominated for six other Academy Awards; that's some snub!; Foxcatcher "snubbed" for Best Picture yet it picked up five nominations including for Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, Best Actor, and Best Supporting Actor; Interstellar was also "snubbed" for Best Picture but garnered five other nominations; Mr. Turner's Timothy Spall was "snubbed" for Best Actor, but the film picked up four other nominations; Unbroken was "snubbed" for Best Picture but was nominated for Best Cinematography and two other awards; Into the Woods was "snubbed" for Best Picture but nominated for three awards including Best Supporting Actress for Meryl Streep; Wild was "snubbed" for Best Picture but nominated for Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress; Gone Girl was "snubbed" for Best Picture and Best Director but nominated for Best Actress)

C'mon people. This was a great year for films. How can every single film you liked get nominated for Best Picture? I admit that the Oscar nominations are not perfect, and they are very subjective, and people will often disagree with them, and there's probably a bit of politics involved. But so many films that were nominated being called "snubs" in other categories when they just missed out because there were so many other great choices? Seems like some people have chips on their shoulders.)

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 8:56 PM

I recently went to see the Hobbit movie with my daughter.  I went to spend some time with her and I had enjoyed the book, but t was the first movie I went to in 15 yrs (I also don't watch TV).  Most of the actors and actresses today couldn't act their way out of a paper bag—they're line-readers.  Also, most of the stories end up revolving around a theme of romance and end up with them hopping into bed (it is almost de rigeur for it to be two men or two women).  I don't care to support perversion. 

Since I criticized acting today I thought I might say something more positive.  I remember it being announced that Helen Hayes was going to play a certain part in a story.  I thought that she couldn't possibly play that part, but after 5 minutes I didn't think of it being Helen Hayes.  Now THAT is acting.  I liked John Wayne, but he wasn't really an actor.  John Wayne was always John Wayne no matter what the part.

george
gfsomsel

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS