Jumpy Scrolling in ESV (for Alan Palmer)

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 168
Mark Nigro | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 18 2015 5:15 PM

Alan Palmer,

In this post, I do continuous scrolling but it is very jumpy, stopping and then skipping ahead in chunks of verses. This is in an unlinked ESV.

N.B. I had closed out the BHS and Bible Word Study prior to this. Some residual behavior may be present from the Hebrew resource?

1616.LogosLogs.marknigro.20150118-171334.zip

Screencast ---> http://www.screencast.com/t/9rmcBSS7 

Mark Nigro

Pastor/Teacher/Student/Writer

www.calvarychapelbiblecollege.com

Posts 576
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 5:43 PM

Thanks, Mark. Were you able to capture any samples using the Logos Logging Utility? I didn't see any in the logs you posted.

Posts 168
Mark Nigro | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 5:59 PM

Perhaps I didn't use the utility correctly? I have it enabled but only open it to archive the logs and then close out the application. Is this correct?

Mark Nigro

Posts 576
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 6:22 PM

The utility should have a Sample button. This will start recording performance data for a couple seconds and provide an additional log to your archive.

So, if you can press this button while the application is working, we may be able to find out what it is doing that is taking so long.

In your case, press Sample then immediately scroll your resource quickly to try to capture a series of the delays you are seeing.

Posts 168
Mark Nigro | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 8:32 PM

Okay, I believe this should do it. Let me know:

2705.LogosLogs.marknigro.20150118-203053.zip

Mark Nigro

Posts 576
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 9:33 PM

Yes, that had the necessary sampling data. Thank you.

Based on my brief look (I'm at home and will have a better look in the office tomorrow when I can talk it over with some of our senior mac developers) it would seem that scrolling in the ESV is causing other panels to attempt to refresh themselves causing additional work to be done and theoretically contributing to your stuttering.

I would be curious to know if it helped to close all other panels that you have open and just scroll the ESV.

Posts 168
Mark Nigro | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 10:02 PM

Alan, yes. Closing all panels changed the scrolling of the ESV. I may have made one mistake testing this now in hindsight. That is, I closed all panels including the ESV, then reopened the ESV to scroll it. Not sure if that voids the test you wanted, but scrolling it by itself was smooth.

Mark Nigro

Posts 20
Alan Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 10:03 PM

No, that's perfect. Thanks, Mark.

Posts 576
LogosEmployee
Alan Palmer (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 10:05 PM

Oops, posted from my personal account. Don't worry, even without the Faithlife emblem, it's still me. I guess that means it's late and I should go to bed. Wink

Posts 168
Mark Nigro | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 18 2015 10:09 PM

Lol! Yes, get some rest. Seems like you've been busy on this forum all day. Funny, I did a double take when I saw your personal profile picture and had to click it in curiosity to see if it was Alan from Faithlife. Right as I was on your profile, you posted about the mistake.

Mark Nigro

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS