Switching to Macbook Pro?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 236
Michael March | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 19 2015 6:54 AM

I am a logos 6 user with a fairly large library (7400 resources) and also a longtime windows user who is about to switch to a Macbook Pro 13.3 with 8gigs of ram and a 256mb hd. I know that this is well within the recommended specs. I seem to remember that there used to be a specific forum for mac users, but I can't find it. I have many reasons for my switch which I won't go into here, but my only remaining concern is Logos 6.

I use logos every day and I would hate to have to endure too big of a performance loss. I would like some input from someone who has used logos 6 on both platforms to make sure that I'm not sorry I made the switch.

Thanks in advance for any first hand insights you can give me. If there is a mac forum somewhere that I am missing, I would appreciate help in finding it.

Windows PC - Android Phone - Surface Pro 4

Posts 2553
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 6:58 AM

I have a 2011 MBP with SSD. It runs L6 better than my Win 7 machine without SSD. I think you should really consider SSD with your Mac if you can afford the upgrade. It has made a huge difference in L6 performance.

Posts 236
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 7:26 AM

Thanks John, actually I should have said it is an ssd NOT an hd. My mistake. I don't think they sell MBPs any other way these days!

Posts 2553
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 8:08 AM

You should be good to go! There are a few bugs that are still Mac only, but they are working on them. 

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 8:40 AM

Lots of luck !  You're going to need it !

BTW:  When are you going to try to catch a big fish?  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 236
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 8:51 AM

Thanks John, I'm looking forward to it.

Also, George, you know there is no such thing as luck! And as for the fish, I did catch a Northern through the ice last week about that size while trying for walleye, but I threw him back as I'm still unable to filet them without making a huge mess of it. Now back to fishing for people...Smile

Posts 29803
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 9:33 AM

Michael March:
a 256mb hd.

This is the only <potential> problem I see. If this is a primary computer, you might want larger. Unlike windows, you won't be able to install logos on an external drive.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 236
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 9:49 AM

Thanks bama,

Interestingly enough, I've been planning this switch for months and just got cold feet and wanted to make sure about logos. I was quickly reassured that macs can run logos so I purchased my mbp. I went to the refurbished page to see what I could find and wound up getting a refurb for less than the one I outlined, only with a faster processor and 512mb flash memory instead of 256.

Scary plunge after decades with windows, but I'm excited to make the change.

Posts 52
Dan Starcevich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 9:50 AM

Hi Michael,

I just coverted this weekend from L6 on 64 bit PC to Mac Mini with no major issues. There is a little learning curve associated with learning the new UI. I also went with a track pad instead of a mouse so there is some learning there.

See my post titled "First my wife, then my daughter....."

Dan

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 10:35 AM

I switched just over a year ago to a Macbook Pro with 8GB RAM and an SSD, and haven't had any serious problems compared to Windows. I've had the occasional slowdown and still have some minor program scaling issues within Collections and the Library view, but am not encountering any other issues. In terms of feature parity, I've never found a feature missing on Mac that I used on Windows, and I think feature parity has probably been reached. If you used the MS Word Smart Tag to copy scripture you'll need to get familiar with the OS X Service that works with more than just Word. I use Logos every day, including Greek, and don't have any regrets.

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 2864
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 3:03 PM

I have that MBP and it's great. Runs Logos 6 just fine. For a long time Windows users you may find the change a bit jarring at first, but after about a month I got used it and after a few months I didn't want to go back until the Surface Pro 3 came out and now I happily standing with one foot in each world and enjoying both thoroughly.

Posts 236
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 3:18 PM

Thanks to all who assured me that the plunge can be taken.

Here I go...

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 19 2015 4:59 PM

I have a 13" rMBP with similar specs, and my only regret is not getting 16 GB of RAM.

Product Department Manager
Faithlife

Posts 236
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 9:05 AM

Thanks Gabe, I thought about it but the refurb page didn't have any that I saw with 16gb. You can add and add $200 here and there and after a while it starts to add up! As a Logos employee, I have a hunch you push the program far harder than I know how to, so 8gigs shouldn't be as much of a problem for me.

Tomorrow I'll find out...

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS