NICOT Judges

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 932
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 20 2015 1:31 PM

Why is it that Judges is not included in the NICOT collection, but on the page for the Judges commentary, it says that if you want to get the whole series, to order it? I think it is misleading that I could go to the Judges page, see the link to buy the whole commentary, buy it and still not have Judges.

Posts 19177
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 1:40 PM

Yes, that is kind of odd wording. But an explanation for how this situation arose: The Judges volume was more recently released so it has not been added into the full collection yet. That will come with time. I don't know how long they normally wait before upgrading collections when a new volume comes out, but certainly while the new volume is still in pre-pub and for some time beyond that, it requires two separate purchases to get the new volume plus the rest of the set. They could/should make that clearer on the product description pages.

Also, it would be nice if they could eliminate the waiting time, so that as soon as a new volume is out of pre-pub the whole set is available with the new volume in it. Once the new volume has shipped, I don't know why anybody would want to buy the set without the new volume. And the price is not as great to buy the set plus the new volume as it would be if they were combined. But there are probably some licensing restrictions that prevent them from doing that right away. They might have to wait until the contract expires for the old version of the set that doesn't include the new volume, or something like that. Hopefully someone from Faithlife can weigh in on this thread and give a better explanation, and convey to "the powers that be" our wishes for this policy to change.

Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 2:34 PM
The collection does include the old Judges by Marten Woudstra, which I found very good. I haven't bought or read the new one.
Posts 635
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 1:07 AM

Jonathan Pitts:
The collection does include the old Judges by Marten Woudstra, which I found very good. I haven't bought or read the new one.

Hi Jonathan, I looked back in my library and the best I can tell I have the NICOT on Joshua by Marten Woudstra but not Judges. I also don't see it listed under the individual titles on the collection order page. Is it possible you bought this separately or possibly a while ago before they adjusted the collection?

Just curious.

Ryan

Posts 19177
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 1:14 AM

Ryan B:

Jonathan Pitts:

Hi Jonathan, I looked back in my library and the best I can tell I have the NICOT on Joshua by Marten Woudstra but not Judges. I also don't see it listed under the individual titles on the collection order page.

I also don't see a Judges volume by Woudstra listed on bestcommentaries.com which usually lists all current and discontinued volumes of commentary series. And Amazon doesn't list any book by Woudstra with Judges in the title. I wonder if you meant the Joshua volume, Jonathan?

Posts 571
Martin Grainger Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 1:16 AM
Hi Ryan. Marten Woudstra wrote only on Joshua, not the Judges. So you'll not find Judges commentary in NICOT by Woudstra.
Posts 667
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 21 2015 1:23 AM

Ryan B:

Jonathan Pitts:

Hi Jonathan, I looked back in my library and the best I can tell I have the NICOT on Joshua by Marten Woudstra but not Judges. I also don't see it listed under the individual titles on the collection order page. Is it possible you bought this separately or possibly a while ago before they adjusted the collection?

Just curious.

Ryan

You are quite correct. It is the Joshua volume that I have.

Looking back, I don't think I really found a decent heavyweight commentary on Judges. I started with the NAC but gave up and continued with just Dale Davis's popular-level commentary.

So, I now need to consider buying this new one. Has anyone seen it or read any reviews?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS