How would you instruct a new Logos user in using and creating a Logos 6 framework?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2214
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 22 2015 9:01 AM

Ok, assume you recommend L6 Gold to a group of friends and offer to assist them in training and set up. What frameworks would you recommend? What is the Logos standard framework for new users? How can this be improved on with minimal time and maximum benefit? Here is how I understand the New User Logos Framework and my suggestions for a Minimum User Framework. Please provide additional recommendations considering time-benefit and new user training.

Built in Logos Framework:
1.    Prioritize the top 5 to 10: English Bibles, Greek Bibles, Hebrew Bible, Commentaries, Lexicons, Bible Dictionaries
2.    Go to homepage, enter verse or topic and click go. Let standard Logos workspaces and guides function as designed.

Suggested Minimum Logos Framework:
1.    Prioritize some additional resources: Apostolic Fathers for the Ancient Text PG section pop up; Harmonies for the Parallel Passages PG section; Devotional for the Homepage; and Prioritize a Bible Text with apocryphal books for popups within other resources.
2.    Set up collections for the following resource types: Bibles and Bible Commentaries.
a.    Open Faithlife.com. In the search Faithlife box enter “collections” and join Logos Collections and Commentary Collections.
b.    Copy the following from Commentary Collections: Commentaries: Intermediate, Commentaries: Expository; Commentaries: Historical 1750-1950; Commentaries: Technical; Commentaries: Background; Commentaries: One Volume; and Commentaries: Special.
c.    Copy the following from Logos Collections: English Bibles, Greek Bibles, Hebrew Bibles (+Dead Sea Scrolls).
3.    Set up subject collections to utilize some of the type:monograph..
a.    Copy the following from Logos Collections: Bible Background, Hermeneutics, Bible Introductions & Textbooks, Apologetics, Theology (subsections if desired); Preaching, Counsel + Psychology; additional subject collections as desired.
4.    Set up a My Passage Guide, using the various commentary categories for commentaries to replace the one in the standard PG; include some of the above collections as desired. Eliminate unwanted sections.
5.    Set up a My Exegetical Guide to include collection for Hermeneutics and to adjust Word by Word settings to avoid every word populating.
6.    Set up a My Topic Guide to include subject collections desired and remove unwanted sections.
7.    Set up Information window to populate with a click rather than hover. Tweak other settings as desired.
8.    Review Cited By tool and adjust as necessary.
Now they can go to the homepage enter verse or topic and click go and the standard layout will populate with the “My” guides.

Other frameworks include tagging and rating library. I personally use this framework, but the time it takes is extensive and would be excluded from a minimum Logos framework in my opinion. What other features help a new user enjoy the benefits that power users do without the more intensive time and training required? I made a suggestion that would allow a more efficient use of the library for new users here Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea and we can work within the current framework or frameworks.

Anyway, thanks to all the contributors to the collections on Faithlife.com and those that continually assist both new and experienced users here on the forum. New users have great resources to develop their frameworks and study because of you.

Posts 10313
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 12:09 PM

John ... I'm just bumping this, since I think it's an excellent question (and a good description too).  I'm also following MJ's efforts on the parish side of the house.

I don't know if it's important, but your steps appear to be targeted to a fairly 'high-end' user (eg pastor, Bible class teacher, etc).  Is that your target?

Posts 183
Bryan S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 12:51 PM

John Fidel:
Ok, assume you recommend L6 Gold to a group of friends and offer to assist them in training and set up.

Have you lost your mind...LOL You will never get any work done from this point forward...Still laughing

Christianity has not been tried and found wanting; it's been found difficult and not tried.

Posts 2214
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 1:29 PM

Denise:

I don't know if it's important, but your steps appear to be targeted to a fairly 'high-end' user (eg pastor, Bible class teacher, etc).  Is that your target?

Yes, non-academic, but experienced teacher, non-experienced Logos 6 user. I want to get them up to speed so the program is more fruitful, but I know at first they (most people) won't want to tag their entire library etc.

Thanks for the reply.

Posts 2214
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 1:30 PM

Bryan S.:

Have you lost your mind...LOL You will never get any work done from this point forward...Still laughing

Yeah, and I am a practicing CPA in tax season... boggles the mind doesn't it?

Posts 7
amy jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 9:16 AM

Thank you very much for the post. It is a great list for a refresher.

Posts 2214
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 3:03 PM

I am glad it was helpful. Will be presenting to a group of new users soon hoping to move them along in using the program.

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 3:11 PM

John Fidel:
Please provide additional recommendations considering time-benefit and new user training.

I'd discuss how to remove items from the home page, and also how to turn it off altogether and load the last used layout  at start-up instead.  And how to bring up the homepage on the fly to access its features. 

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2214
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 3:15 PM

Thanks Todd for the suggestion. I thought about it and agree it would be helpful.

Posts 172
LogosEmployee
Jonathan J Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 3:29 PM

John, 

So much of what I do is based on needing information fast. That's why, in addition to the Passage and Exegetical Guides you mention, I also set up a few layouts and create as many shortcuts as necessary. (See Screenshot)

From Left to Right: 

• Close all
  • Testing Layout (This layout has everything, Greek, Hebrew, Passage Guide, Exegetical Guide, Commentary, Information tab, and Text comparison. I use this as the basis for new layouts. Adding or removing things based on new need.)
  • HCSB (Current preferred English Bible)
  • SBLGNT (Greek Text)
  • BHS (Hebrew Text)
  • Hebrew Layout (contains Lexicon, Theological Wordbook, Hebrew, English, and Info tab)
  • Greek layout (Lexicon, Theological Wordbook, Greek, English, and Info tab)
  • Text Converter tool (use a tool more than once in a day? Put it in a shortcut!)
  • Academic Passage Guide (this just has a few custom elements I use when writing papers)

Hope this helps!

Posts 2214
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 3:33 PM

Thanks Jonathan. Very helpful. 

Posts 18757
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 3:39 PM

John Fidel:
What other features help a new user enjoy the benefits that power users do without the more intensive time and training required?

Here are a few other little things that make a difference for me and might help new users feel more like power users from the beginning:

1. I'd review the built-in Copy Bible Verses styles and see if one of them meets your most frequent need and set it as the default. Personally, the main reason I use CBV is for copying to Word and printing out the passages to be read aloud in our services in a nice large font in case the lay reader is an older person with less than optimal eyesight. Thus I've created a custom style for that:

%UseBibleParagraphs
%CopyAllText
%NoFootnotes
%NoRedLetter
%NoCitation

=Header
<p>[FullPassageRef] ([Version])</p>

=ForEachVerse
[VerseText]

(I enlarge the font once it's over in Word.)

2. Drag a few useful items to the Toolbar. My choice for newbies would be: "Close All" command, your favorite Bible, "Facilitate Serendipitous Discovery" command, and any other frequently used resources depending on need (e.g, I have RCL Daily).

3. Set up your favorite highlighting style on a shortcut key. Either use one of the built-in ones from the Solid Colors palette or (as I did) create a My Palette and create a darker yellow highlighter style within it, assign it to a key (I use 'Y' for yellow). Also I created a bright, thick (3 px wide), red underline style ('U'). I can use those two styles either alone or in combination to accomplish most of my highlighting needs. Eventually they might want to create some more advanced highlighting styles, such as numbered colored capsules to number points in a reading, boxes, etc. There are highlighting style palettes that can be downloaded from the Logos Visual Filters group on Faithlife.com.

4. Review Tools > Program Settings, and change as desired. Someone will need to explain to them what all those things do. I don't even remember what the defaults are, but I'm pretty certain that from a clean install I'd want to change some of them. E.g., Show Visual Cues to No (speeds up the program), Automatically Download Updates to No, etc.

Posts 2214
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 4:30 PM

Rosie,

All wonderful suggestions and very useful to new users. Thanks for suggesting them.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS