Robertson's Word Pictures or Vines Expository?

Page 1 of 3 (47 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 46 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 47
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 22 2015 1:31 PM

Which do you prefer and why?

Posts 9249
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 1:57 PM

Although both have their value if I only had the choice between those two resources I would choose Vines. Robertson's Word Pictures is set up by canonical order which is good if you are going through a particular book but Vine's is more of a dictionary to look up specific words.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 2:08 PM

Bruce Dunning:
Robertson's Word Pictures is set up by canonical order which is good if you are going through a particular book but Vine's is more of a dictionary to look up specific words.
Yes, you are comparing apples to oranges. Bruce's summary is spot on. 

Posts 9140
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 2:25 PM

If you don't have commentaries that deal with the Greek text, then using Robertson linked to your English Bible will help fill the gap in your commentaries by giving some information on the original language level as you study a passage. As Bruce pointed out, it is not a lexicon or dictionary, but for the use stated would be helpful.

If you need a Greek dictionary, of the two, go with Vine's.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 47
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 3:15 PM

Ok, I assume that "parallel" resources to Vines would be Vincent and Wuest- right?

What would be a "parallel" resource to Robertson?

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 3:24 PM

Michael S.:
Ok, I assume that "parallel" resources to Vines would be Vincent and Wuest- right?
No, Robertson, Vincent, and Wuest are all "parallel."

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 3:27 PM

Here is a screen shot of the four you mentioned.

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 3:29 PM

Robertson, Vincent, and Wuest are all verse-by-verse commentaries on the words in the text. Vines is a dictionary that has an entry for each word. 

Posts 47
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 3:32 PM

Ah, I see now.  So then, what are the "parallel" resources to Vines?

Posts 3695
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 3:59 PM

Michael S.:

Ah, I see now.  So then, what are the "parallel" resources to Vines?

Others would seem to be:

https://www.logos.com/product/45638/lexham-theological-wordbook 

https://www.logos.com/product/7296/holman-treasury-of-key-bible-words 

https://www.logos.com/product/1197/king-james-bible-word-book 

These, like Vines, focus on the English text.  There are also others which focus on the Hebrew or Greek text.

Now, whether the ones I listed are set up to be parallel resources or not, I do not know.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 29293
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 4:04 PM

I have no automatic parallels in Platinum

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 4:16 PM

Michael, Do you have any knowledge of Greek or Hebrew? What are you hoping the resource will provide? If we knew the answers to these questions, we could probably give better advice. 

Posts 11054
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 5:00 PM

I'll pose an uneducated observation.  On Vines, I didn't have any parallels listed (empty menu). But I touched the arrow key and then back.  Then I had a million choices (mainly english dictionaries/lexicons).  But also including canaanite inscriptions.  I don't ever use the parallels.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 5:52 PM

I would not hesitate to choose Robertson over Vines.  Robertson is the superior scholar.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 47
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 6:15 PM

I have no Greek or Hebrew skills or training.

I have Reformed Platinum in v5, and Baptist Starter in v6.

I am trying to learn how to use my resources to properly study and also trying to see if I have any weak areas of my resources that I need to plan to supplement.

Thank you all

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 22 2015 8:37 PM

Of the works you mentioned, I would go with Robertson. First, he was an impeccable scholar. You mentioned you have Baptist Starter. Robertson was a Southern Baptist. Second, because his work is verse-by-verse the words are discussed in context. People with no understanding of Greek or Hebrew often get a dictionary but do not have the skill to really understand it. With Robertson, when you look up a verse he will be discussing the shades of meaning that apply in that context. 

My second choice would be Vincent. I have found him very helpful over the years. His work is formatted like Robertson. 

I hope this helps. Blessings on your studies.   

Posts 47
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 12:44 AM

Where would Thayer fit into the mix?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 12:52 AM

Michael S.:

Where would Thayer fit into the mix?

Thayer doesn't fit at all.  He wrote before the discovery that the NT was not written in "Holy Ghost Greek" but in the popular Koine Greek of the time which has different meanings in some cases from classical Greek.  Sell your first-born child and buy BDAG https://www.logos.com/product/3878/a-greek-english-lexicon-of-the-new-testament-and-other-early-christian-literature-3rd-ed.  If you intend to get involved with Hebrew as well, you can get the BDAG/HALOT bundle and save a bit https://www.logos.com/product/5228/bdag-halot-bundle.  For NT work, BDAG is the ONLY lexicon that is worth getting as your main source (It is also helpful with the Apostolic Fathers and frequently helpful with the LXX).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 23 2015 3:35 AM

George Somsel:
For NT work, BDAG is the ONLY lexicon that is worth getting as your main source
I agree that BDAG is the authoritative lexicon that is obviously an indisputable point. However, I don't believe it is good advice for someone without a knowledge of Greek to try to use it. Most people know enough Greek to be dangerous, meaning they don't really know what they think they know.

For example:

"One of the most enduring of errors, the root fallacy presupposes that every word actually has a meaning bound up with its shape or its components. In this view, meaning is determined by etymology; that is, by the root or roots of a word."

Carson, D. A. (1996). Exegetical fallacies (2nd ed., p. 28). Carlisle, U.K.; Grand Rapids, MI: Paternoster; Baker Books.

Page 1 of 3 (47 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS