Fan of hymns? Catholic, Lutheran, Methodist, Friends, Baptist, Presbyterian, Episcopal, Congregational, SDA,

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 31 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 18634
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2019 7:47 AM

Kenneth Neighoff:

Bruce Dunning:

Rosie Perera:
I am a mega hymn nerd.

I've never heard anyone describe themselves that way. Smile

I often describe myself as "a hymn guy" lost in a Praise and Worship World.

To borrow a phrase from a friend of mine, hymns are my prayer language. I'm blessed to be part of a church that sings mostly hymns, from a hymnal, in glorious 4-part harmony, usually with piano accompaniment but occasionally a capella. I love the way good hymnals are indexed, not just by hymn title and author but also by Scripture reference and meter and tune name, and how you can sing hymns to different tunes as long as the meter matches. Many of the people in my church can sightread music, so we get to do a wide variety of hymns. We've actually sung every single hymn in our hymnal at one point or another. One of the other hymn nerds in the congregation keeps track of when we've sung which ones, and he led us once in a year or two of "sing through the hymnal" where we showed up 15 min early each Sunday and sang 4 or 5 hymns, going through from 1 to 658.

Posts 1814
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2019 9:27 AM

Rosie Perera:

Kenneth Neighoff:

Bruce Dunning:

Rosie Perera:
I am a mega hymn nerd.

I've never heard anyone describe themselves that way. Smile

I often describe myself as "a hymn guy" lost in a Praise and Worship World.

To borrow a phrase from a friend of mine, hymns are my prayer language. I'm blessed to be part of a church that sings mostly hymns, from a hymnal, in glorious 4-part harmony, usually with piano accompaniment but occasionally a capella. I love the way good hymnals are indexed, not just by hymn title and author but also by Scripture reference and meter and tune name, and how you can sing hymns to different tunes as long as the meter matches. Many of the people in my church can sightread music, so we get to do a wide variety of hymns. We've actually sung every single hymn in our hymnal at one point or another. One of the other hymn nerds in the congregation keeps track of when we've sung which ones, and he led us once in a year or two of "sing through the hymnal" where we showed up 15 min early each Sunday and sang 4 or 5 hymns, going through from 1 to 658.

I remember having a conservation with a elderly saint in the Church.  I asked him why he preferred the hymns.  His answer has stuck with me through the years.   He said, the hymns helped me to know the theology of my Bible better.  

When I teach Wesleyan Theology I always make this assignment mandatory.  They have to take two Wesleyan hymns and find the quotes, allusions, or echoes of Scripture in each stanza. 

Posts 26021
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2019 1:31 PM

Okay, now comes the big question. How many are interested in the old hymns and spiritual songs? I have a rather large collection that I had intended to convert into Logos format during retirement. But the Logos store for user documents never materialized so the plan got dropped. It was compounded by the lack of ability to tag current resources with the hymn data as we can sermons.

The collection is slanted towards psalmody, shaped-note, and denominational hymnals. Probably my rarest volume is a 19th century Northern Free Will Baptist hymnal. 

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2351
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2019 6:40 PM

Kenneth Neighoff:

I remember having a conservation with a elderly saint in the Church.  I asked him why he preferred the hymns.  His answer has stuck with me through the years.   He said, the hymns helped me to know the theology of my Bible better.  

From some story I read. The Hallelujah Lady, the one that often says Hallelujah instead of Amen, says that when you are up and 'worthy' get a hymnal.  Then when the Devil tells you that you are not worthy to touch the Bible let alone read it, reach for that hymnal - it will bring you back to the Bible.

Posts 9962
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 24 2019 7:51 PM

MJ. Smith:
Okay, now comes the big question. How many are interested in the old hymns and spiritual songs?

Hmm ... I think that's a difficult issue. We travel, and end up in various churches with 'foreign' hymnals (for us). People seem to love their hymnals, and 'soldier on' with someone else's. I move my favorites out of Logos to my iPad for my autoharp. So, Logos is like a convenient repository.

Posts 2021
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 25 2019 7:45 AM

MJ. Smith:
Okay, now comes the big question. How many are interested in the old hymns and spiritual songs?

Yes.  I am interested.  I hope your plan gets resurrected.

My brother in law was an old hymn super-nerd (nodding to Rosie) with a substantial collection of old hymnbooks of every stripe.  His special interest was early American southern hymnody with no pinnacle higher than pentatonic scale, shape-note "Sacred Harp."  He whetted my interest some, though I cannot attain to the bottom rung of his degree of fascination for the subject. Alas, he is gone now.

There is also something about the smell and feel of those cracked covers and crispy old brown pages that might be hard to replicate in Logos.

Posts 2992
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 25 2019 11:27 AM

Jan Krohn:
This is closing Friday this week. Current price at $25. The $21 mark is looking very achievable. Even $17 is not entirely out of reach, but that might be wishful thinking...

$21 USD has already been hit.

This is a pretty ecumenical collection.

Posts 18634
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 25 2019 11:32 AM

Another hymn resource just showed up in prepub:

Hymns and Hymnody: Historical and Theological Introductions, Volume 1: From Asia Minor to Western Europe

I wondered where the other volumes are, but apparently there aren't any yet, even in print.

Posts 2188
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 25 2019 12:00 PM

SineNomine:

Jan Krohn:
This is closing Friday this week. Current price at $25. The $21 mark is looking very achievable. Even $17 is not entirely out of reach, but that might be wishful thinking...

$21 USD has already been hit.

But it will not go down to $17. $21 is still good.  I would have paid $33.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 166
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 25 2019 12:45 PM

Rosie Perera:

Thanks for the heads up Rosie... My pre-order is in

Posts 294
D Bouey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 25 2019 9:51 PM

Thank you, Rosie! I'm in.

Lenovo P72: Intel 8th Gen i7-8750H 6-core, 32GB RAM, 2TB HDD + 1TB Sata SSD, 17.3" FHD 1920x1080, NVIDIA Quadro P600 4GB, Win 10 Pro

Posts 9849
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 26 2019 12:22 AM

Rosie Perera:

Another hymn resource just showed up in prepub:

Hymns and Hymnody: Historical and Theological Introductions, Volume 1: From Asia Minor to Western Europe

I wondered where the other volumes are, but apparently there aren't any yet, even in print.

Thanks for telling - preordered.

This thread made me reconsider my bid on the CP resource - upped it to not be left out - glad to see it now sits where my bid was all the time probably for some years 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Page 2 of 2 (32 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS