Jack Cottrell works

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2703
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 4:00 AM

Dan DeVilder:

Floyd, while I am still very interested in Ted's perspective, I can add a little bit on Jack Cottrell, until others, who are more familiar with him, add more (Keith has given some insight already).  Professor Cottrell has been with Cincinnati Christian University (college and graduate) for decades.  He is with the non-denominational "Christian Churches/Churches of Christ."  That is a movement (sometimes known as "Restoration Movement,"  "Stone-Campbell" movement, etc.) that has historically placed a primacy on "going back to the text" for faith and practice, rather than being "encumbered" by creeds and tradition.  Many early leaders came from Presbyterian, Baptist, and Methodist backgrounds with the goal to "unite under Christ."  He is an accomplished  author (as you can see by the list), never afraid to stake out his viewpoint and express it in unequivocal terms.  His breadth of knowledge is wide, and one of his hallmarks is being able to clearly communicate complex issues.  He knows how to break down ideas so that they are more easily understood.  He stands more in the Arminian tradition ("Arminian" can mean many things . . . but here I use it as "non-Calvinist.").  Whether you agree or disagree, you will be helped by his thinking.  He is a joy to read (lol, and also annoying, when you disagree! Stick out tongue) because of his clear writing/thinking style.  He is also on facebook, and submits many "notes" on theological matters (as well as practical church issues).

You can read more about the early leaders (Barton W. Stone, Alexander Campbell) in the Biographical Dictionary of Evangelicals (http://www.logos.com/products/details/2605) and the Movement itself in Encyclopedia of Christianity (http://www.logos.com/products/details/2060--look for "Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)", and "Restoration Movements."  The link only shows vol 1-3, there is also vol 4, and the pre-pub vol. 5, for separate purchase from Logos).  That may be more than you need about Jack Cottrell, but it will tell you a bit about the tradition he stands in.

Dan DeVilder:
a good resource from an Arminian (whatever THAT means, lol) perspective.  I often don't agree with Cottrell (and I am certainly NOT saying I am smarter, just that I disagree with his views on some things, like the Holy Spirit!), but he is definitely a good thinker and clear writer.

Dan DeVilder:
Ted, please share what you like about Dr. Cottrell's works, and how you became acquainted with them.

Sorry for the late response - my computer crashed & i was away from home on holiday.

As a convinced Calvinist i find Jack Cottrell to be a compelling, clear and engaging writer. My first intro to him was when i was studying the Calvinist/ Arminian debate. He was one Arminian author that could not be dismissed easily, boy! does he try hard to be biblical( in the right sense of the word). I very much like his Romans commentary B/cos of both it's expository and exegetical blend though i take issue with some of his theology.

I then read his works on the gender role debate and liked both his stance and the clarity with which he wrote. Have i read most of Jack Cottrell's books - yes? Again, i find him to be a clear thinker in most of his works and as a Calvinist it is important that i read one of the best Arminian authors, if not the best on the Arminian/Calvinist debate.

Dan, you have summarised well what i really like about this author in your various post on this thread. Do i agree with his theology i.e. Baptism? of course not.

Every blessings.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 4:45 AM

Ted, it was nice to hear your perspective.  I really appreciate your irenic spirit, that in spite of being a "convinced Calvinist," you have grown to appreciate an author who is at odds with a core belief of yours.  All blessings to you.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 170
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 22 2010 9:37 PM

It was during a break.  So I was techincally sitting in the classroom with him in the classroom but the class was not in session at the moment. 

Posts 2703
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 10 2011 12:44 AM

Bump

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 170
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 10 2013 7:09 PM

New version of the three part series in one volume just published...so when does it become available to logos :)

Posts 111
Keith Gant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 11 2013 12:55 AM

Item 14 from Ted's original list is now available: http://www.logos.com/product/25039/headship-submission-and-the-bible-gender-roles-in-the-home

Posts 170
NYSERVANT | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 6 2018 12:33 PM

He now has 2 classes on Community pricing.  His class on Grace and Baptism.  https://www.logos.com/product/151155/mobile-ed-jack-w-cottrell-on-grace-and-baptism

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 9 2018 10:58 AM

NYSERVANT:

He now has 2 classes on Community pricing.  His class on Grace and Baptism.  https://www.logos.com/product/151155/mobile-ed-jack-w-cottrell-on-grace-and-baptism

that's awesome! thanks for pointing that out.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS