my speed test for Bible passage in L4 thinking of going back to L3

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 288
Michael Parry-Thomas | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 18 2010 3:24 PM

hi everybody

I am starting to wonder if I should go back to version L3

I upgraded to the  platinum version L4

I've just done a simple test  on the main page I  typed in  John 1-5   then I  clicked go

it took 5 minutes and :26  seconds  to display all the information

and the hard drives are running hot

is this normal for the amount of time it takes for this process?

Laptop specifications

dedicated graphics card  mobility radron x13000

memory  4 gig DDR2

hard drive 120 gig

cpu  intel Duo 1.66GHz

Mick
Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 3:39 PM

Keep in mind that the opening a study from the L4 homepage does more things than starting from the Libronix homepage. The passage guide does more, more bibles are opened, a commentary is opened automatically and the text comparison tool launches. 5 Chapters is a lot of information to crunch in all these areas. I was able to run this in a minute and a half. I do have a faster processor than you and probably a faster hard drive (7200 RPM) but no dedicated graphics card so I guess this time is probably normal.

I would advise that running a passage guide is best for verses instead of chapters.

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 3:39 PM

One question then a statement.

1. Did you really type in John 1-5 (As in every thing from Chapters one to five?As in "all" of the materials for the first 5 chapters of John?

OR did you mean John 1:5? There certainly should be a difference in speed with the latter version.

2. Your specs are what Logos 4 is calling "minimum." Mine are similar and I too "lag" etc.

Regards, SteveF

Posts 288
Michael Parry-Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 3:52 PM

Hi

yes John 1-5

I Put in John 1:5 this was 35 sec

i was  just thinking of the speck of my computer ,      if my machine is classed as the minimum spec

would I be better going back to L3  

mick

Mick
Posts 9075
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 4:02 PM

Some things I just don't do in Logos 4:

#1: run anything from the Home Page. Way too slow. If I did, it wouldn't be the multi-chapter one you tried.

I suggest you set up a layout that you like and run everything from that. Open to your saved layout rather than to your Home Page so you aren't tempted.

So other than what you times, how does Logos 4 respond? Searching, scrolling with linked resources, opening resources from the right-click menu, etc?

Your CPU specs seem underpowered for Logos 4.

BTW: I would not run anything that I could to walk away from the computer and finish painting the side of my house before it finished running. For me 5:30 is about that long computer-wise.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3148
LogosEmployee
Thomas Ball | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 4:40 PM

Five chapters is a lot of information to break down and analyze with how much Logos 4 does from the Homepage. I'd think you'd have to have a quad core and 4-6gb of RAM to really do that in any decent amount of time. I'd also be quite surprised if Libronix could do the same amount of grunt work in any less time.

Posts 288
Michael Parry-Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 5:07 PM

Hi

thank you for your replies ,

do you think my laptop is  under the  specification for L4

one of my main concerns is my laptop  ,   is my laptop specifications going to  able  to run L4   in 18   months time

when all the new additions are added

thinking ahead  should I  spend my budget  on a new laptop,  or  continue  purchasing  resources

mick

Mick
Posts 9075
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 5:15 PM

Michael Parry -Thomas:
should I  spend my budget  on a new laptop,  or  continue  purchasing  resources

Tough call. Logos designed L4 to run on a computer no more than 2 years old, and that was stated back in September. I don't know how old your computer is, but a Centrino CPU has got to be at least two years old, isn't it? Maybe the computer is younger but that's an older CPU.

18 months from now? Don't know if newer versions of Logos will be more taxing as we go forward, but certainly not less.

You'll probably need to spend $1,000 to get a good laptop to really run Logos 4. (Yes, I know you can do with less, but less is not more in this case.) Someone speced an HP laptop with a 17 inch screen running an i7 CPU for about $1000-$1,200 here on the forum a few weeks ago. Seemed to have all one would want for Logos 4 and he was very pelased. That is the kind of machine to move forward on.

So, if not this year, then next year if you really want to run L4 you will probably upgrade. If your computer is 2 years old or more it probably isn't worth trying to add components to make it run a bit faster.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 5:16 PM

Michael Parry -Thomas:
thinking ahead  should I  spend my budget  on a new laptop,  or  continue  purchasing  resources

How long does Logos take to start up? Does your workflow stutter or move slowly? Some people have used less than recommended specs to their satisfaction, others have not. If Logos moves slowly I would go for the new laptop, if the program moves adequately then I would go for more books.

Posts 3658
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 7:03 PM

Michael Parry -Thomas:
 do you think my laptop is  under the  specification for L4

Hi Mick,

I think you've received some excellent advice, particularly regarding the way you're trying to use (& evaluate) L4.

It's such a radical departure from L3 that with your config & Platinum baseline I'd hold off making any decision on hardware & instead would explore ways to use L4 more effectively. As you discover how you're really going to use L4, you'll also discover which you need FIRST: faster hardware or more resources.

Many of us are hoping to see at least SOME optimization of L4's base code over the next 18 months. As it is now, not even those with the fastest PCs seem to be ALWAYS 100% happy with L4's speed.

Many blessings, either way!

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 81
Daniel R. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 9:49 PM

I would say get a new laptop, if you can. All the resources in the world will not do you any good if you can't use them.  The frustration of trying to use a program with an under powered machine will just ware on you over time.

Or, stay with L3. The L3 is an awesome program in its own right. I plan on keeping it installed for a long time. Even if I don't use it. I have just been blessed by its use for too long to not keep it installed. That's just my 2 cents.

Also, I just purchased a refurbished Dell Studio 15 for 824.00, delivered. Dual quad 2 core processor, dedicated ATI graphics card 512 mb, 4 gigs ram, 500 gig hard drive 7200 rpm. Very happy with its performance. Even with some lag.  I am hopeful that the lag will go away as the drivers are updated and refined for the windows 7 64 bit.

May the Lord bless you and keep you.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS