No license to view Personal Book?

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 906
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 27 2015 8:01 PM

I made a personal book from our denominational doctrinal statement on my laptop and used it several times. Now, as I go to the desktop and try to open it, it is not in my library. If I go to utilities and go to the PBB, I see it there and can click "open." If I do, Logos gives me an error saying I do not have a license to use my own personal book.It gives me an ID which starts PBB:9f7d363... 

I can rebuild the book when I have my laptop again, but I am worried there is some deeper problem. Other PBs work fine.

Posts 27798
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 27 2015 9:02 PM

Personal books didn't sync anything but the metadata until recently, and you must manually sync the compiled books now. Trying to open an uncompiled or unsynced book will give you that warning. 

If you think something else is at play, please provide more info such as your software version. (This thread might then be moved to the appropriate forum for L5 or L6)

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 20
John C. Livesay | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 4:34 AM

Every personal book I build on one computer has to be rebuilt on the other computer to be read. I have to keep a flashdrive of my PB files to build every time I change computers.Is that normal or am I missing something?

Posts 27798
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 4:41 AM

John C. Livesay:

Every personal book I build on one computer has to be rebuilt on the other computer to be read. I have to keep a flashdrive of my PB files to build every time I change computers.Is that normal or am I missing something?

Again, the metadata (author, title, etc.) has ALWAYS synced. The compiled book itself did not. With the release of L6, there is now a method to sync the compiled book. When you have finished compiling a book, you press the "upload" button. 

Posts 20
John C. Livesay | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 5:00 AM

So what I get from this is... if I build a book on computer A, I only have the "license" on that computer. If I then build it on computer B, the license changes to that computer, correct? I would think that if I built it on multiple computers, that I should be able to see it on each one, and only have to rebuild it if I make changes. Too bad I don't have L6. Sad

Posts 27798
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 5:08 AM

John C. Livesay:
If I then build it on computer B, the license changes to that computer, correct? I would think that if I built it on multiple computers, that I should be able to see it on each one, and only have to rebuild it if I make changes.

The "license" warning is probably a misnomer. All it really means is "Hey, this book ain't available on this computer!" I think you can compile it on both computers and use it on both computers as long as you don't make any changes... 

John C. Livesay:
Too bad I don't have L6.

As long as your computer specs are appropriate to run it, the L6 engine is free.

https://www.logos.com/product/47040/verbum-6-core-engine 

Posts 471
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 5:10 AM

John C. Livesay:

So what I get from this is... if I build a book on computer A, I only have the "license" on that computer. If I then build it on computer B, the license changes to that computer, correct? I would think that if I built it on multiple computers, that I should be able to see it on each one, and only have to rebuild it if I make changes. Too bad I don't have L6. Sad

John, once you build it on more than one computer you should be able to read it on each one. It is not just one at a time. I would recommend Logos 6, you can install the basic engine for free.

Edit: Alabama types faster than this old man!

Posts 20
John C. Livesay | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 5:24 AM

Nope. every time I build it on a computer, the next one tells me no "license." Thanks for the info, I will try the free L6 engine.

Posts 471
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 5:28 AM

John C. Livesay:

Nope. every time I build it on a computer, the next one tells me no "license." Thanks for the info, I will try the free L6 engine.

Something is odd, as I went back and forth between two computers in Logos 5 without ant problem at all. Logos 6 is worth it though so I recommend going that way.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 6:46 AM

John C. Livesay:
Nope. every time I build it on a computer, the next one tells me no "license."

One option is copying compiled pbb files from one Logos installation, then scan in other Logos installation(s).

1. Build Personal Book (PB) in one Logos installation
  2. Sync to Logos servers (upload PB license)
  3. Copy compiled lbspbb file(s) from Resources folder to USB or Dropbox or ...
  4. Switch to different Logos installation
  5. Sync with Logos servers (download PB license)
  6. Use command: scan <path>  where <path> has folder containing lbspbb file(s) on USB or Dropbox or ...
  7. Restart Logos
  8. Resource discovery should copy lbspbb file(s) from scan <path> to Resources folder then index PB's

Copy and scanning lbspbb file(s) avoids having to change path to docx for building on different platforms, then build.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5252
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 9:51 AM

One thing that should also be noted (if I understand things right) there is a size limit, so if you have a very large book like Mark Barnes dictionary this would not automatically be sync enabled due to it's size, that said it has to be a very large book to run into this issue.

-Dan

Posts 906
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 8:14 PM

Strange. This is a two page thing, with nothing but a list of doctrines and Scripture references. Other documents sync correctly, but I still cannot access it.

Posts 246
Rev. Michael L. Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 10:58 AM

alabama24:

John C. Livesay:

Again, the metadata (author, title, etc.) has ALWAYS synced. The compiled book itself did not. With the release of L6, there is now a method to sync the compiled book. When you have finished compiling a book, you press the "upload" button. 

I am obviosly missing somethind here, more-than-likekly over looking something. I have compile two books since I installed Logos 6 onto my Desktop and I never see the "upload" button, either before or after I click finish at the end of the compile. What am I missing or overlooking?

Michael

Posts 10125
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 12:17 PM

Rev. Michael L. Burns:
I have compile two books since I installed Logos 6 onto my Desktop and I never see the "upload" button, either before or after I click finish at the end of the compile. What am I missing or overlooking?

Maybe the files are simply too large. Have you tried a small one?

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 27798
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 12:41 PM

Rev. Michael L. Burns:
I am obviosly missing somethind here, more-than-likekly over looking something. I have compile two books since I installed Logos 6 onto my Desktop and I never see the "upload" button, either before or after I click finish at the end of the compile. What am I missing or overlooking?

As Mick suggested, if the file is too large, it is ineligible to upload. I don't know what you are trying to do. If the .docx isnt sensitive or copyrighted, you can upload the .docx here for us to experiment with. Here is what you should see AFTER you have compiled. Notice the very bottom right:

Posts 246
Rev. Michael L. Burns | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 5 2015 3:53 PM

Thanks Mick,

I think the files are simply too large.

Michael

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS