New Resource Survey

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 298
LogosEmployee
Matthew Miller | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 2 2015 2:48 PM

The Idea

As a Logos user you have access to a vast array of content, and sometimes it can be difficult to get your bearings. What if there were resources to help you get oriented to and explore new topics? We’d like your opinions on creating a range of short, reasonably priced introductions that teach you about a specific subject, person, or field of study. The resources would prepare you for further study and show where additional resources can be found, inside and outside the Logos ecosystem.

These introductions aim to reduce anxiety about what to read when tackling a new topic, help readers discover new areas of study, and provide the outstanding writing and scholarship readers expect.

The Content

Each volume would be short (20,000–25,000 words), inexpensively priced, and deliver key benefits including:

1. A balanced, objective overview of the topic
  2. Academically credible work that’s accessible to all readers
  3. Comprehensive annotated bibliographies and indexes
  4. Logos tagging to help you take the next step in your research and find additional resources in your library
  5. Completely new, original content 

Setting Priorities

We need your help to determine what subjects to focus on first.  We’ve created a survey that allows you to rank a list subjects in order of importance to you. 

The number of volumes in each series would vary, but will usually be around six. 

Take the New Resource Survey!

Posts 298
LogosEmployee
Matthew Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 3 2015 3:23 PM

Here are the voting results so far:

1st place: Theology by era

2nd place: Theology by thinker

3rd place: Theology by doctrine

4th place: Bible by issue

5th place: Bible by genre

6th place: Theology by movement

7th place: Bible by theme

Get your vote in today and help us decide where to take this project!

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 3 2015 3:27 PM

Matthew Miller:

Get you vote in today and help us decide where to take this project!

The graveyard of discarded ideas.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 3 2015 3:31 PM

George Somsel:

Matthew Miller:

LOL!  Poor Faithlife.  I did fill in the survey, more out of politeness than enthusiasm, but what we all /really/ want to know is when the academic journal bundle is going to be beefed up with all of our most desired journals? :)

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 3 2015 3:43 PM

Rayner:

George Somsel:

Matthew Miller:

LOL!  Poor Faithlife.  I did fill in the survey, more out of politeness than enthusiasm, but what we all /really/ want to know is when the academic journal bundle is going to be beefed up with all of our most desired journals? :)

The problem is that I don't like to be forced to make a choice among items which have no particular appeal.  I would like to see more academically oriented monographs.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 3 2015 3:57 PM

Yep.  I agree with George.  Logos doesn't sell theology books for the periods I'm interested in, so I had to not check any of them.  Though I was surprised SurveyMonkey only wanted to know where you came from (no cookies, etc).   Then there's the Bible by genre.  NKJV vs KJV.  Well, now.

I'm sorry Matthew.  I got the 2014 naysayer award on the forum.  Selling intros to sell books. Okie, dokie.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 591
Rayner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 3 2015 4:21 PM

George Somsel:
The problem is that I don't like to be forced to make a choice among items which have no particular appeal.  I would like to see more academically oriented monographs.

Well, absolutely yes.  It's just that it seems people have different views of what constitutes academic :)

Posts 19121
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 3 2015 4:24 PM

These sound like Lexham Bible Guides redux. Some people like them, some people find them somewhat useful but overpriced, and some people are cynics and think they are just designed to sell more books. Evidently that experiment worked well enough for Logos/Faithlife that the push is on to do something new, even though the Lexham Bible Guides series is by no means complete. I'm afraid I have to say this is rather typical at Faithlife: spreading yourselves too thin. I would recommend putting this project off and finishing LBG first. Unless that experiment really wasn't successful. In which case, why would Lexham Intros be worth doing?

Matthew Miller:
These introductions aim to reduce anxiety about what to read when tackling a new topic

Most people who have "anxiety about what to read when tackling a new topic" will not buy these. The people who spend extra money on things like the Lexham Bible Guides are people with lots of disposable income and who are already Logos nerds. They know where to start reading when tackling a new topic. The ones who don't are overwhelmed with how much is already in their library and don't know where to start. They aren't likely to want to buy MORE books to solve that problem.

Posts 3027
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 3 2015 5:05 PM

Matthew Miller:
We need your help to determine what subjects to focus on first. 

If Faithlife is going to spend time and money producing material, it ought to be producing a MANUAL before any additional resources!

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 9405
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 3 2015 5:38 PM

I think there is merit in this idea. It seems you are trying to facilitate research on topics of interest limited to Logos resources. For me annotated bibliographies might be enough, but for others some additional help will be of benefit. My response was to not check any of the suggestions but to make one of my own.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS