[resolved]Missing search options

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 6
Yael Moise | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 2 2015 5:56 PM

I just bought Logos 6 today: a Starter package and the OpenText.org module. 

I'm a graduate student and I bought it solely for the purpose of running syntax searches on the GNT, but when I tried to do just that, I couldn't find how to do it.

Every help feature and post I've looked at said the same thing: click the search button and then select "Syntax"... except there's no "syntax" there.

There's no "clause" option either, which is shown in quite a few videos, but that's not half as problematic for me as the lack of the "syntax" option.

All it's showing is "Bible", "Basic", "Media", and "Morph".

Is this a package thing? An error thing? Is there anything I can do?

Help! :(

Posts 28478
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 6:05 PM

Yael Moise:
Is this a package thing?

Yes. I believe you need the "Lexham Clauses Dataset: SBLGNT Edition", which comes with the Silver and higher. You should speak with a sales rep for more info.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 23035
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 11:13 PM

Hi Yael - and welcome to the forums

Yael Moise:
I'm a graduate student and I bought it solely for the purpose of running syntax searches on the GNT

I believe the advice Alabama24 provided is for "Clause" search - for Syntax searching you need the Bronze Package or upwards

But the recommendation is the same in either case - contact Sales and see what they recommend

Contact details are at https://www.logos.com/contact 

Graham

Posts 6
Yael Moise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 11:42 PM

Well, it really would have been nice if they had said somewhere that there are not just modules but actually also functions that are missing if you buy the lower-end packages...

For one thing, I might have bought the right level before the sale was up. :(

Thank you, both.

Posts 23035
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 2 2015 11:47 PM

Yael Moise:

Well, it really would have been nice if they had said somewhere that there are not just modules but actually also functions that are missing if you buy the lower-end packages...

For one thing, I might have bought the right level before the sale was up. :(

I would contact Sales and see what they can do to help.

And if you are specifically looking at using Opentext I would check that with them. I believe that the functionality provided with Bronze uses Cascadia (and not OpenText) but this is worth clarifying

Comparison information is available at https://www.logos.com/compare 

Hope you get this resolved.

Posts 6
Yael Moise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 3 2015 12:03 AM

Well, since I wanted to make use of the sale (I'm afraid money is a very big issue for me), I just went and bought the Bronze package.

Hopefully, it'll solve the problem... but I'll be honest with you, I'm not all that optimistic.

Talking to the sales rep, aside from the fact that it would take place after the sale ends, is another thing I'm not all that optimistic about since the last one I spoke to told me flat out that there's no way of purchasing the OpenText.org module without getting the Platinum package or higher.

Considering I got it just fine with a Starter package, I get the feeling he didn't really know what he was talking about. Tack that onto me phoning them yesterday about this exact problem, twice, and the support people not having a clue as to what my problem might be... One of them even flat out told me that he has no idea how to use the program and so has no idea how to help me.

So, well... I have to say I've been more than a little stunned the by the low level of service.

The community appears amazing. Really, I do appreciate your help. But the company's own service...? Not so much.

Oh, well... God willing, the Bronze package will be the solution. 

I definitely cannot afford the Platinum. That thing is half a year's grad-school tuition, and contains so much stuff I don't need at all.

Posts 23035
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 3 2015 12:28 AM

Yael Moise:
Oh, well... God willing, the Bronze package will be the solution. 

Please let us know how you get on

Posts 6
Yael Moise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 3 2015 5:31 AM

Well, I'm happy to say that you were right and the bronze option does allow me to run the searches I needed (it works with OpenText and not just Cascadia, btw).

Now I'm faced with the rather unpleasant realization that my laptop might not be strong enough to run those searches, even if the option is there, but that's a whole other kind of problem, and much more easily solved.

As far as I'm concerned, the issue is sorted and I can't thank you enough for your help! :)

Posts 23035
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 3 2015 9:30 AM

You are very welcome and glad you have it working.

Please feel free to post back with any other questions about the use of Logos software.

Posts 6
Yael Moise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 14 2015 9:24 AM

Well, if you don't mind, I'll take you up on that offer now, since I've once again come up against what appears to be a missing feature.

The article that lead me to Logos in the first place mentions using the Graph Results feature... in syntax search.

As far as I can tell, I can only use it in the Morph search.

Am I missing a module again??? 

Posts 2337
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 14 2015 9:37 AM

I am not aware of the graph results option ever being a part of the syntax search.

Posts 25827
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 15 2015 12:40 AM

Yael Moise:
The article that lead me to Logos in the first place mentions using the Graph Results feature... in syntax search.

Misleading articles abound. Syntax Search isn't easily "graph-able" because of the way that results are presented. You might see 3 "hits" in a verse, but that could be the same "hit" represented in three containing clauses, whose criteria satisfies the syntax query. Also, hits cross verse boundaries, so the analysis would be more complex than the "hits" vs. verses/chapter/book comparisons from text searches.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 6
Yael Moise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 15 2015 5:55 AM

Okidoke. Thanks. :)

Well, at least I know that it's not that I'm missing something more than what I already have.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS