Identify Pre-pub Resources that will Allow the "Send to Kindle" feature

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 33 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1564
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 3 2015 7:21 PM

Is there a way to identify prior to purchasing a resource, if the resource is licensed for the Send to Kindle feature?

There are some Logos resources that I would really like to read on a standard Kindle e-ink reader.  Two of the most recent pre-pub orders I received ("Warfare in the O.T." and "After Acts: Exploring the Lives and Legends of the Apostles"), are such resources, but after receiving them, I find that neither are licensed for the Send to Kindle feature.  Frustrating.  Huh?

I realize I can return the resources, but would rather not place orders for resources I don't intend to keep.  I don't see anything on resource information pages in the Logos store indicating whether or not a resource is licensed for this feature.  Is it there but escaping my aging eyes?  Indifferent

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 3 2015 7:29 PM

That's a good idea. I don't think there's anything like that yet. There is a note saying whether it runs on mobile devices. But that doesn't mean it's licensed for Send to Kindle.

Posts 29925
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 3 2015 8:02 PM

There is one thing you can count on: if it's from zondervan, forget it. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1564
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 10:02 AM

alabama24:

Neither of my last two purchases were published by Zondervan (one was Moody and the other was Kregel), so it's not just Zondervan.

I called Customer Service and was told there is currently no way to determine if a resource is licensed for this feature other than to make the purchase and then check to see if the option is presented--if it's licensed you'll see the option, if it isn't licensed you won't see it.

I submitted a suggestion https://community.logos.com/forums/t/100428.aspx to tag resources that are licensed for this feature.

Posts 12162
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 10:22 AM

alabama24:

Not so fast - the Logos-editions will most often work with no issue (just transferred "ZEC Ephesians" and "Four Views on Divine Providence"), only the Vyrso editions have it disabled.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 12162
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 10:30 AM

RAusdahl:
Neither of my last two purchases were published by Zondervan (one was Moody and the other was Kregel), so it's not just Zondervan.

Maybe it's simply a timing issue and the key to the issue is in your original post in the words "most recent pre-pubs". I seem to remember that Logos needs to do some technical work to enable send-to-kindle on a resoure, and it might be that they simply didn't do this yet (for the Vyrso resource you might ask in the Vyrso forum about that - Brian is usually very responsive and may tell you whether it's really a licence issue, or just a queue of many books, where he even might be able to push this forward a bit).      

Posts 29925
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 10:43 AM

NB.Mick:

Not so fast - the Logos-editions will most often work with no issue (just transferred "ZEC Ephesians" and "Four Views on Divine Providence"), only the Vyrso editions have it disabled.

Interesting. Are those mobile enabled? Can you "manage" them (send to mobile) within L6?

Posts 12162
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 10:53 AM

alabama24:

NB.Mick:

Interesting. Are those mobile enabled? Can you "manage" them (send to mobile) within L6?

yep.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 11:11 AM

I vote also for the suggestion.  

Also it'd be nice to have a STK filter on Logos.com AND a filter on Logos6 library.  Maybe the latter is not needed if Vyrso is the main culprit.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1564
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 11:21 AM

NB.Mick:

RAusdahl:

Maybe it's simply a timing issue and the key to the issue is in your original post in the words "most recent pre-pubs". I seem to remember that Logos needs to do some technical work to enable send-to-kindle on a resoure, and it might be that they simply didn't do this yet (for the Vyrso resource you might ask in the Vyrso forum about that - Brian is usually very responsive and may tell you whether it's really a licence issue, or just a queue of many books, where he even might be able to push this forward a bit).      

That's a nice thought--think I'll hold on to it for a while.  Wink   All I know is that when I called support on the first resource (Warfare in the Old Testament), the rep (don't remember which one) didn't say anything about even the possibility of it just being tied up in a queue waiting for some kind of action on Logos part--he just said that if it's licensed for the feature it will have the Send-To-Kindle selection option and if the option is missing, it means it's not licensed for it.  Sad

Posts 1564
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 11:26 AM

NB.Mick:

alabama24:

NB.Mick:

yep.

For the resources I posted, when I scroll down to the "info" section for the resources (where the Send-To-Kindle option would normally be), I see a Kindle device listed as well as a link to "Manage mobile devices", but it doesn't have the Send-To-Kindle selection option.

Posts 1564
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 11:30 AM

NB.Mick:

alabama24:

So Vyrso editions have the feature disabled?  Is there any way to verify I received Logos editions and not Vyrso by mistake?  Just wondering, because when I initially ordered my upgrade to Logos 6 Gold, the order originally came through as a Vyrso upgrade and I had to call to have it corrected.  Just wondering if the same thing could happen with individual resources.

Posts 12162
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 11:48 AM

I think it may really be a time (or process bug) issue. One of the few resources in my library that updated last week and are not Kindle-enabled is "Jesus of Nazareth" by J.A. Broadus - this is long in the Public Domain, thus no licence issue, and (unlike Craig Evans' QuickSource Guide to the Dead Sea Scrolls ) not filled with lots of pictures to make it simply too large.

Probably Faithlife has a backlog list of resources yet to bring up to par for Send-to-Kindle.

Posts 12162
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 11:55 AM

RAusdahl:
So Vyrso editions have the feature disabled?

No. Only Zondervan-produced Vyrso editions. Others normally are enabled (received one from "Focus on the family"-Publishers last week that is not, but maybe it will someday?)

RAusdahl:
Is there any way to verify I received Logos editions and not Vyrso by mistake? 

you can filter your library by edition:v and edition:l (small "el" for Logos btw your PBs come as edition:u), but all you can buy at Logos.com or verbum.com (or on CD-ROM...) comes as Logos-edition, all you can buy at Vyrso.com and only what you can buy at vyrso.com comes as vyrso edition. 

Posts 1564
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 8:19 PM

NB.Mick:

RAusdahl:
So Vyrso editions have the feature disabled?

No. Only Zondervan-produced Vyrso editions. Others normally are enabled (received one from "Focus on the family"-Publishers last week that is not, but maybe it will someday?)

RAusdahl:
Is there any way to verify I received Logos editions and not Vyrso by mistake? 

you can filter your library by edition:v and edition:l (small "el" for Logos btw your PBs come as edition:u), but all you can buy at Logos.com or verbum.com (or on CD-ROM...) comes as Logos-edition, all you can buy at Vyrso.com and only what you can buy at vyrso.com comes as vyrso edition. 

When filtering by edition:v my library list is empty.  When filtering by edition:l, the title "Warfare in the Old Testament" shows up, but the title "After Acts: Exploring the Lives and Legends of the Apostles" does not.  So it would seem that the "After Acts" resource is neither a Vyrso nor a Logos edition.  Sad

Posts 29925
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 5 2015 8:38 PM

Your premise is faulty because your syntax is faulty. "Vyrso" edition resources use the syntax edition:ebook (or simply edition:e). "After Acts" is indeed a Vyrso resource. I hope that "send to kindle" gets enabled for it!

EDIT: I see my friend Mick led you astray. Stick out tongue

Posts 12162
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 6 2015 2:01 AM

alabama24:

"Vyrso" edition resources use the syntax edition:ebook (or simply edition:e). "After Acts" is indeed a Vyrso resource. I hope that "send to kindle" gets enabled for it!

Sorry, my fault - seems I somehow got mixed up on this (edition:v actually works in the German UI instead of edition:u). Of course it's edition:e for Vyrso eBooks

Posts 1564
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 6 2015 8:27 AM

alabama24:

Your premise is faulty because your syntax is faulty. "Vyrso" edition resources use the syntax edition:ebook (or simply edition:e). "After Acts" is indeed a Vyrso resource. I hope that "send to kindle" gets enabled for it!

Interesting!  So do I understand correctly that Faithlife may have multiple editions of a resource--e.g. both a Vyrso edition and a Logos edition?

Also is it common for Logos customers who purchase resources advertised in the Logos store for their Logos library, to receive non-Logos editions of the resources?  Surprise

Posts 1564
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 6 2015 8:38 AM

NB.Mick:

alabama24:

"Vyrso" edition resources use the syntax edition:ebook (or simply edition:e). "After Acts" is indeed a Vyrso resource. I hope that "send to kindle" gets enabled for it!

Sorry, my fault - seems I somehow got mixed up on this (edition:v actually works in the German UI instead of edition:u). Of course it's edition:e for Vyrso eBooks

Please don't be sorry!  I didn't even know about the "edition" filter until I read your post.  Good to know!!!

Posts 29925
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 6 2015 8:44 AM

RAusdahl:
So do I understand correctly that Faithlife may have multiple editions of a resource--e.g. both a Vyrso edition and a Logos edition?

In theory, no. Faithlife intends to only have one "edition" of a resource available for sale.

RAusdahl:
Also is it common for Logos customers who purchase resources advertised in the Logos store for their Logos library, to receive non-Logos editions of the resources?

No, it's not common... and I don't think it does happen. Why do you think it did?

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS