Best Resources for under $50??

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 129
Chad | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 10 2015 7:15 AM

Ok - probably opening up a big question.  But wondering what you all find to be the best/most helpful library resources that you can purchase for $50 or under?  What do you most consistently use?  I ask because when I get coupons, etc...I want to find something that is most helpful.  I have Reformed Platinum with a decent amount of extra stuff.  What do you all use that is something you consult consistently and is helpful?  Thanks.

Posts 28032
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 7:33 AM

I will let others chime in with their thoughts... "most useful" and "best resource" depends upon your needs. 

I will point out that Faithlife typically has a "march madness" sale which provides moderate, medium, and extreme discounts on some items. I assume they will have the sale again.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2028
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 7:49 AM

Yes, I would also suggest waiting for the March Madness sale.  You will get the most bang for your buck!  Usually discounts are from something like 35%-75% off I think?

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 806
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 7:54 AM

Chad's question is a good one because I frequently confront it myself. I echo what both alabama24 and Joseph have said. But it would be easier if logos.com had a fully functioning wishlist functionality.

Posts 28032
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 8:06 AM

Lew Worthington:
it would be easier if logos.com had a fully functioning wishlist functionality.

What isnt functioning with the wishlist now?

Posts 1059
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 9:28 AM

alabama24:

Lew Worthington:

From my perspective, not having the ability to add prepubs is a lack of important functionality.

Posts 1059
William Gabriel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 9:31 AM

Chad:

Ok - probably opening up a big question.  But wondering what you all find to be the best/most helpful library resources that you can purchase for $50 or under?  What do you most consistently use?  I ask because when I get coupons, etc...I want to find something that is most helpful.  I have Reformed Platinum with a decent amount of extra stuff.  What do you all use that is something you consult consistently and is helpful?  Thanks.

My strategy is to keep a really long wish list, then when I received a coupon, I take a look at what's on sale to get a double discount.

Do you have DA Carson's works? That would be worth adding to your library.

Posts 806
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 9:47 AM

William Gabriel:

alabama24:

Lew Worthington:

From my perspective, not having the ability to add prepubs is a lack of important functionality.

Duh. That's what I get for trying to dash off a quick message while on break. Yes, that's what I meant. Embarrassed

Posts 28032
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 10:19 AM

Lew Worthington:
Yes, that's what I meant.

So, for both of you, the only thing lacking is the lack of adding pre-pubs to the wish list?

Posts 129
Chad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 10:36 AM

Is there any time frame on when the coupon codes need to be used?

Posts 22279
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 10:37 AM

Chad:

Is there any time frame on when the coupon codes need to be used?

Normally, it should specify on the email (or other media) which provided the code.

Is there anything?

Posts 129
Chad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 10:56 AM

Nothing that I saw.  The email is gone now - I just saved the code - trying to keep a clean inbox.

Posts 2028
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 11:08 AM

alabama24:

Lew Worthington:
Yes, that's what I meant.

So, for both of you, the only thing lacking is the lack of adding pre-pubs to the wish list?

I also wish one could add Vyrso books to the wishlist.  

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 5262
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 11:11 AM

Fortress Commentary on the Bible (2 vols.) is 50.95, and I believe it to be the best resource at that price range, i can hardly believe it has not yet made it to Logos yet. 

Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible is probably the best Bible dictionary out there and is $40.95

Collegeville Bible Commentary is a bit uneven but it is a most useful one volume covering the Catholic canon of scripture. $49.95

-Dan

Posts 18828
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 11:13 AM

Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament

It's a little outside the price range you specified, at $59.99, but look for it to be on sale and apply a coupon to it. It's really excellent.

Posts 28032
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 11:14 AM

Joseph Turner:
I also wish one could add Vyrso books to the wishlist.

Me too. The two stores use the same credentials, but aren't hooked together... which is a separate issue. The Vyrso store is "bare bones" like Vyrso resources. Tongue Tied

Posts 129
Chad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 11:36 AM

Rosie, thanks, would be a great choice - but I have that one already.

Posts 22279
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 1:23 PM

Chad:

Nothing that I saw.  The email is gone now - I just saved the code - trying to keep a clean inbox.

then I suggest you contact Customer Services - https://www.logos.com/contact - and see if they can advise

Posts 1648
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 5:06 PM

Chad:
wondering what you all find to be the best/most helpful library resources that you can purchase for $50 or under?  What do you most consistently use?

One way for us to answer Chad's question would be to actually look at our most used resources.

In Library window, the Details view, we have the choice to show a Most Used column, and sort by that.

My most used resources are

• Bibles (ESV, Lexham Heb/Eng Interlinear, UBS4 Gk/Eng Interlinear, NIV, NLG, Lexham Gk/Eng LXX, NRSV)
  • Ancient texts (Dead Sea Scrolls, Josephus, OT Pseudepigrapha).
  • Dictionaries (COED, ISBE, EDEJ, AYB)
  • Lexicons (HALOT, BDB, BDAG, ...)
  • Commentaries (too many to list, but WBC tops the list)

A couple of interesting ones show up in the list, including:

• Fee & Stuart, How to Read the Bible Book By Book -- really useful for quick background overviews.
  • Psalms Explorer (part of Logos 6), as I've been preparing notes on Psalms.
  • Richard Hays, The Faith of Jesus Christ -- apparently I keep referring back to this.
  • Rick Brannan, Historic Creeds and Confessions -- ditto.

Hope that's of some help, Chad.

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 5:38 PM

I don't know if you can use your coupon on these but, since you have Reformed Platinum you will get dynamic pricing on the Topical Bundles. You should check them out and see if they fit your situation.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS