Cannot Start Logos 6 "Logos Bible Software Has Stopped Working

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 27
Pastor Joe Roof | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 10 2015 8:13 AM

5 days ago, I sent to open LOGOS 6 and before it will fully open, I get a message that say, "Logos Bible Software has stopped working."  I have sent the files on other posts in this forum.  I have also been on the phone with tech support twice.  The case number of 91377.  

I am just getting concerned that I have been unable to use this software this long.

Posts 22830
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 8:23 AM

Hi Joe

Thanks for posting this

Most of us on these forums are fellow users of the software so don't have any access to the information in the case you reference.

Can you post your logs here so we can have a look at them? or provide a pointer to them

Graham

Posts 9138
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 8:25 AM

Pastor Joe Roof:
I am just getting concerned that I have been unable to use this software this long.

Yes, that is troubling.

However, Bradley (from Logos) gave you some suggestions here: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/99904/690965.aspx#690965 . You never responded back to that thread so we don't know if you tried them.

He did say that a fix would be out in Logos 6.1. That isn't much help to you now since Logos 6.1 is in beta testing. It would mean that there is nothing Logos can do until that release.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 27
Pastor Joe Roof | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 8:35 AM

That is a different crash.  The first crash was simply one where I would open books and the program would crash when I sent them back.

The current crash will not even allow me to open the Logos program.  I am unable to use the program on my computer.  It is hard, once you have become dependent on Logos, to not be able to use it for 5 days. 

Posts 9138
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 8:52 AM

Pastor Joe Roof:
 It is hard, once you have become dependent on Logos, to not be able to use it for 5 days. 

Yes it would be. I am fortunate to have Logos on two computers - a laptop at home and a desktop at work, so this would normally rarely occur to me.

However we were out of power for four days twice in one year, which meant very little use of Logos on my laptop before the batteries ran down, so I have a little experience with doing without.

I sold almost all my commentaries after buying the Logos versions of them, so I'd be handicapped to have to use paper resources.

This doesn't help your situation, however.

The only suggestion I have is to uninstall Logos 6 and reinstall Logos 5. I doubt Logos 6.1 will be released in the next few days, so you'd get your pre-Logos 6 functionality back and might be worth the time it takes to do this. You can save re-downloading the Resource files by following the instructions for method 3 here. You would need to reindex as far as I know because you are going back a version, so you can't use Method 2.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 27
Posts 9138
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 10 2015 8:54 AM

The log file tells us nothing. See my suggestion above.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8243
LogosEmployee

I think Tech Support has already followed up with you but to recap (for the forums):

This took us quite some time to track down, but we believe it's related to C:\Windows\System32\ColorMedia64.dll, which the Internet seems to agree is malware (or at least ad-ware that hijacks your browser). It seems like it may be commonly installed as part of "PicColor Utility", another malware program (but we're not completely sure).

We recommend uninstalling this DLL from the System32 folder. If it is indeed malware, this will probably be difficult, since it will be actively trying to resist uninstallation. You may need to run anti-malware software or contact a computer technician.

Posts 27
Pastor Joe Roof | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 14 2015 6:25 PM

I want to express gratitude to all of the members of the Faithlife team who helped me with this problem.  The best I can figure is that unbeknownst to me, my windows updates were not automatically updating.  This allowed for some problems.  It took several scans from several programs, an updating of windows 8.1 and not the computer and my LOGOS 6 seem to be working in good order again.

Faithlife provides a wonderful product and a team of caring, hardworking people who help when any problem arises.

Thank you!

Posts 25736
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 14 2015 9:23 PM

Pastor Joe Roof:
Faithlife provides a wonderful product and a team of caring, hardworking people who help when any problem arises.

Thank you for your encouraging feedback.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS