Help search for "Deity of Christ"

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1070
Lee | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 12 2015 6:55 AM

Hello can someone help with a search aimed at the Deity of Christ?

I am witnessing to a Muslim friend, he said that he did not understand the Deity of Christ.

Using the Everything search with "Deity of Christ" i have 1,783 results some of the first books i liked are as follows: Answering Islam: The Crescent in Light of the Cross, Biblical Theology of the New Testament, and To Understand the Bible Look for Jesus.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 1070
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 12 2015 7:13 PM

No one has any help for me on this search?

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 26026
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 12 2015 7:45 PM

No, I don't. I was surprised that I couldn't find a Topic that applied. Then searched my topical Bible indexes with little useful results. Chapter 7 of Kreeft, Peter, and Ronald K. Tacelli. Handbook of Christian Apologetics: Hundreds of Answers to Crucial Questions. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity Press, 1994. is my only real suggestion.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 511
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 12 2015 8:00 PM

Hi Lee, I can suggest:

1. Hunt, June. Biblical Counseling Keys on Jesus: Is He God? Is the Deity of Christ Defendable?. Dallas, TX: Hope For The Heart, 2008. This has a section on proof that Jesus is God.

2. Erickson, Millard J. Christian Theology. 3rd ed. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2013. Has a section on the deity of Christ.

Try this kind of search and see if it works for you:

Posts 24568
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 12 2015 8:18 PM

Lee:
Using the Everything search with "Deity of Christ" i have 1,783 results

Try "son of God" in Factbook or "divinity of Christ" in Everything.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 18634
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 12 2015 8:28 PM

Looks like you've already found some good stuff.

Try ("deity of Christ", "divinity of Christ") NEAR (Muslim, Islam)

Make sure "Match case" is turned off on your Search panel menu.

EDIT:

Also try:

("deity of jesus", "divinity of jesus") NEAR (muslim, islam)

Or you can combine this with the search I mentioned above:

("deity of christ", "divinity of christ", "deity of jesus", "divinity of jesus") NEAR (muslim, islam)

BTW, I mean no disrespect when I omit capital letters for Christ, Jesus, etc. I'm just lazy and if you turn off Match case it doesn't matter. However NEAR must be in all caps.

By adding "... of Jesus" to the searches, I found this book:

Christ and Reconciliation: A Constructive Christian Theology for the Pluralistic World, vol. 1 by Veli-Matti Kärkkäinen. Unfortunately it is only available as part of a very large collection. But it's got some very useful stuff in it, so you might want to look at getting it by itself from some other vendor (even though I hate recommending that):

There's a section on "Jesus in Light of Islamic Interpretations". Here's an excerpt of the beginning of one sub-section "The Divinity of Jesus" within that:

The Divinity of Jesus

The proper way to begin to consider the deity of Jesus in Islam is with a reminder of the foundational belief in Islam that Muhammad is not divine but human. The poem of the thirteenth-century Egyptian Al-Busiri, Qasidah Burdah, makes the point in a polemical way:

Renounce what the Christians claim concerning their prophet,

Then praise him [Prophet Muhammad] as you will, and with all your heart.

For although he was of human nature,

He was the best of humanity without exception.83

A contemporary Muslim scholar sets the question of the divine Sonship and deity of Jesus in proper perspective: “Jesus the ‘Christ,’ the ‘eternal logos,’ the ‘Word made flesh,’ the ‘Only Begotten Son of God’ and second person of the trinity has been the barrier separating the two communities [Muslims and Christians].”84 This judgment is consonant with Muslim tradition going back to the beginning. Take one example from the highly respected twelfth-century medieval figure al-Ghazali: in his celebrated Ninety-nine Beautiful Names of God, he bluntly speaks of “errors” of Christians who say of ʽIsa (Jesus) that “he is God.” Saying this is similar to looking into the mirror and imagining that the colors seen are the colors of the mirror itself!85

When investigating this issue, it is hard to establish exactly how much early Muslim thinkers knew of the details of established orthodox tradition when they began to engage Christian claims about Jesus and the Trinity.86 On the Christian side, the first Christian writer to discuss Islam, John of Damascus (d. 749), in dār al-islām showed an extensive understanding of Islam and its main beliefs. Two of John’s writings contain an account of Islam: “The Heresy of the Ishmaelites,” in his De Haeresibus (On Heresies), and Disputatio Saraceni et Christiani (Dialogue with a Saracen).87 One striking point in John’s account is his perception of the Qurʾanic Christology. In On Heresies John shows an accurate awareness of the Qurʾan’s portrait of Jesus. He knew well what the Qurʾan affirms about Christ, such as that “Christ is a Word of God and His Spirit” (4:169), that Christ “was born without seed from Mary, the sister of Moses and Aaron” (19:29), and that Christ is “a prophet and a servant of God” (43:59). John was also aware of the Qurʾan’s denial of Jesus’ crucifixion. Thus, according to the Qurʾan, John affirms, the Jews “crucified Him in appearance only (Qurʾan 4:156); but the Christ Himself was not crucified, nor did He die, for God took Him into heaven unto Himself (Qurʾan 4:156) because He loved Him.”88 In Dialogue with a Saracen, John used this Qurʾanic account of Christ, especially the two titles the Qurʾan uses to describe Jesus—God’s Word and His Spirit—to defend and prove Jesus’ divinity.89 A complicating factor here is that Christian tradition did not of course always speak in one voice—even after Chalcedon. By the time of the rise of Islam, especially the Eastern Christian tradition was deeply divided into different groups and orientations, some affirming, others resisting or revising, key Chalcedonian formulae.

83 Al-Busiri, Qasidah Burdah, chap. 3, lines 29–32, trans. Abdal Hakim Murad, cited in JBC, p. 115.

84 Ayoub, “Jesus the Son of God,” p. 65.

85 In JBC, p. 111.

86 A common Muslim assessment is this: “It is hardly necessary to argue that neither the Qurʾān nor early Muslim traditionists were aware of the theological doctrines of the church fathers and church councils in their debate with Christians, but they were aware of Christian piety, liturgy, and worship” (Ayoub, “Jesus the Son of God,” p. 66).

87 English translations of these texts were first published by Rev. John W. Voorhis in the Muslim World 24 (1934): 391–98, and vol. 25 (1935): 266–73. These translations were based on the Greek text of PG 94 (1864), cols. 764–73; sec. 101, Latin text in parallel columns. The same English translations of these two texts were reprinted in N. A. Newman, ed., Early Christian-Muslim Dialogue, pp. 133–68. The current study will consult Newman’s work. For secondary studies on these texts, see, in addition to the introductions of the editions of the previous studies, the excellent study by Sahas, John of Damascus on Islam; and also Sweetman, Islam and Christian Theology, part 1, vol. 1, pp. 63–66.

88 Newman, Early Christian-Muslim Dialogue, p. 139.

89 Newman, Early Christian-Muslim Dialogue, pp. 144–47; for the Qurʾanic “Spirit Christology,” see the careful discussion in Schumann, Jesus the Messiah in Muslim Thought, pp. 14–18.

Posts 1070
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 12 2015 9:24 PM

I think the Everything search with "Deity of Christ" was best.

My best resources are maybe

Answering Islam: The Crescent in Light of the Cross

To Understand the Bible Look for Jesus

Mohammed or Christ.

The "Topical Analysis of the Bible" for "The Deity of Christ" Chapter III is also very helpful because I wanted Bible verses to discuss.

Thanks everyone.

Posts 1070
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 12 2015 9:34 PM

Thanks Rosie 

I don't have the Christ and Reconciliation: A Constructive Christian Theology for the Pluralistic World, vol. 1   but it looks good.

Posts 18634
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 12 2015 9:51 PM

There are also a number of resources on Vyrso that you can find if you search there for muslims christ that might help. Stories of Muslims converting to Christ, stories of Jesus revealing himself to Muslims through dreams and visions, Reasoning from the Scriptures with Muslims, etc. I can't vouch for the quality of any of them, but most of them have a See Inside feature where you can poke around and see if it looks like something good.

Posts 787
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 13 2015 8:27 AM

Looks like I have Topical Analysis of the Bible myself so thanks for mentioning that Lee.

Posts 134
Jerome Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 18 2015 4:48 PM

I always am the late-comer when it comes to reading forums, answering questions!

I have as part of my Logos library my own book, The New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge. Because the Jehovah's Witnesses deny the deity of Christ I placed much material in my book on the subject, for I studied with them for four years straight. My notes can be accessed by consulting the Subject Index entry, "Jehovah's Witnesses:  Answers to Doctrinal Errors," on page 1562. The third numbered point in that index outline pertains to the Deity of Christ, Colossians 1:16 note;  (a) Christ received worship, Matthew 14:33;  John 20:29 note;  Acts 7:59 note.  (b) Lesser degrees of worship untenable, Philippians 2:6 note.  (c) Not a lesser "god," John 1:1 note;  Philippians 2:6 note.  (d) Called God, John 20:28 note.  (e) Charge of blasphemy for claim to deity, John 10:32 note.   (f) Deity required to qualify as our substitute in the atonement, Hebrews 10:4 note.

Also in the Subject Index on page 1554 is the entry, "Deity of Christ, 1 Peter 2:3 note."

Further material will also be found in the Subject Index on page 1551 under "Christ's Divinity," with ten lines of further entries under that heading which I won't reproduce here.

I lived in south-west Detroit on the corner of Fort Street and Hubbard. It was an easy bicycle ride in those days to Dearborn, where there was and is a large Muslim community. I was in contact with that community because at that time I not only sponsored the Bible Discussion Club but also the Comparative Religions Club at Cass Technical High School where I taught English. The Jewish students who asked me to sponsor their Comparative Religions Club asked my permission to invite a Muslim speaker  to speak to the club, and I readily gave my permission. The man who came was then the head of the Islamic Center in Dearborn. I bought his book at the time, and he autographed it for me. My brother had more direct contact with the Muslims than I did. He influenced me to place a note at John 3:16 pertaining to the keywords only begotten son (KJV), because the concept of that sonship is little spoken of and largely not understood by ordinary Bible readers, and is a major point of difference with what Muslims are taught about Jesus. So I would encourage those here that might be interested in such matters to carefully study that note.

My book is no longer available in print, but it is available in Logos software. I thought it might help someone to know there is more in my book than what is advertised. Sometimes I enter into discussions or create posts at my Real Bible Study site where I answer questions and share how to use my cross reference Bible study resources more effectively.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS