Visual Filter misses its mark sometimes

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 853
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 19 2010 11:51 AM | Locked

I notice that sometimes the visual filter will apply the pre-defines filter for my verbs to particles, adverbs or other parts of speech NEAR the verb, but the verb is unmarked. this seems to be sepecially in places where the English is being used and there are two (or more?) morph. tags that pop up when you hoover the mouse over the word (verb in this case).

Posts 131
LogosEmployee
Peter Venable | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 19 2010 12:07 PM | Locked

Can you give a specific example?

Posts 853
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 4:42 AM | Locked

Sure Peter,

This may not be the greatest example, but it is the first one I noticed.  

In the ESV 1 Cor 13:

3 If I give away all I have,

[I have one visual filter set to identify VPA and another for participles] In this example, the filters applied the markup to the word "I" (which identifies the PERSON part of the verb) and not to the main stem "have or posess". In the NA27 interlinear, the filter is correct. I suspect that other English interlinears may have the same issues. When there are words  separated in the English ("I" and "have") which are connected in the Greek ("I have") the filter does not give the best representation of the text. The same is true in several other places where a particle or some other form is receiving the visual markup instead of the verb. [If I run across any others I can let you know - I am a huge fan / frequent user of the visual filters.]

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 5:04 AM | Locked

Ron Corbett:
[I have one visual filter set to identify VPA and another for participles] In this example, the filters applied the markup to the word "I" (which identifies the PERSON part of the verb) and not to the main stem "have or posess". In the NA27 interlinear, the filter is correct. I suspect that other English interlinears may have the same issues. When there are words  separated in the English ("I" and "have") which are connected in the Greek ("I have") the filter does not give the best representation of the text. The same is true in several other places where a particle or some other form is receiving the visual markup instead of the verb. [If I run across any others I can let you know - I am a huge fan / frequent user of the visual filters.]

This looks more like a peculiarity of the structure of the reverse interlinear. Take a look at the interlinear "cell" for this instance.

τὰ ὑπάρχοντά μου is assocated with I have. If anything "I have" should both get the coloring. As it appears it looks like the Visual Filter grabs the first word and ignores the last. Morph Visual filters get less effective the less "literal" the translation gets. This cell would be most literally rendered "my possessions," but the ESV went with a more verbal "I have"

Posts 853
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 5:22 AM | Locked

Thanks Kevin,

I see what you are saying. It works  fine in the interlinear format, but not in the visual filter mode.

PS - I noticed if I right-click on the column at the left of the interlinear we can now choose what lines of info we want to be shown in the interlinear. I don't know when this feature came in, but its nice.

Posts 687
Jon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 5:42 PM | Locked

I have seen occasional oddities like this when doing searches on the reverse interlinears; I think that Kevin's suggestion is good...

Kevin Becker:
If anything "I have" should both get the coloring

The way it handles translating a single greek work into an English phrase (see "I give away" for ψωμισω in the screenshot above) is very clever; but when a greek phrase is translated into an english phrase it would make better sense if the entire phrase were marked as the result.

Ron Corbett:
PS - I noticed if I right-click on the column at the left of the interlinear we can now choose what lines of info we want to be shown in the interlinear. I don't know when this feature came in, but its nice.

If I remember correctly, about half way through the pre-release beta...

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS