Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 33 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 12:26 PM | Locked

From my perspective I'd like to know if there is going to be a solution. The current state of affairs renders the beta totally unusable. It would seem that constantly checking collections is unnecessary. Perhaps there needs to be a re-think about how the parallel resources are determined. I am using immense numbers of CPU cycles just to get them to show up in the first place and then the constant grinding after that slows everything almost to a stand-still. I know collections are dynamic, but can't there be a way to flag when a change in a collection has been made? It might take some work, but then only collections that have changed would need to be updated. There could be a static database established once with all parallel resource associations, and then only as needed would it be updated.

Maybe this isn't the issue, but if it is, I for one need Logos to address it.

By golly this program is a resource hog! It is only getting worse as new 'features' are added. What is it going to be like when everything is added back in?

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8010
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 12:39 PM | Locked

One of our goals in beta testing is to collect performance feedback information and determine where we need to make improvements. This feature has not been optimised, but doing so is on our tasklist.

Posts 3661
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 1:34 PM | Locked

Hi Mark,

(WARNING: HUMOR FOLLOWS)

Are you sure it isn't the number of times per minute you're checking for another beta?

Wink

Grace & Peace,
Bill

Asus GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
Samsung S9+, 64GB
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 1:40 PM | Locked

HMMM. That affects my speed? Honestly I was more worried about the number of trips to the kitchen I was making while waiting for Logos to return control to me the user.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9090
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 1:42 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:
This feature has not been optimised

I'm glad you didn't say 'this feature has been optimized.' Thanks for the response, Bradley, but I am out of the water for beta testing until something gets better. Ah, well.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 838
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 2:03 PM | Locked

I had similar results after installing B4 this morning. I got some kind of Windows 7 shut down error while the installation restarted and the library was initializing. However with B5 it is actually running faster than it ever has. I wonder if possibly something failed during the installation? It would be nice to see a 'repair' option in Logos 4 similar to the option in Office.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 2:34 PM | Locked

Scott Howard Clark:

I experienced the same problem in B4 and also now in B5.  Simply scrolling pegs my CPU (99%).  And Highlighting a text takes more than 10 secs from the ctrl-k until the highlight appears. 

Having similar issues

Posts 4602
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 20 2010 2:58 PM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:

One of our goals in beta testing is to collect performance feedback information and determine where we need to make improvements. This feature has not been optimised, but doing so is on our tasklist.

I am having a speed issue with Beta 5 as well that did not show up in the other Betas. Being somewhat new to L4 I only have 28 collections. I have recently upgraded to Platinum and I am not sure if that is affecting the speed. I tried clearing all the links in my study layout and something as simple as scrolling still jumps CPU usage to near or at 100%.

On a more positive note, I thank God for Logos and L4. I was a long time user of L3 and it was great; but L4 and the potential it has takes my study and understanding of God's word to another level. Thank you for your vision and hard work. God is using you in a unique and powerful way. 

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2010 1:04 PM | Locked

Similar situation.  I have a passage guide open, a KJV and a commentary. Nothing else.  If I scroll the KJV and highlight a verse the CPU pegs out (also my music begins stuttering).  If I copy the text, it takes over 10 seconds to complete he copy, until the CPU calms down.

Not complaining, just commenting.

Addendum: If I close everything but the KJV the same symptoms occur. 

Bottom Line...Text Scrolling pegs the CPU...

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2010 6:38 PM | Locked

I've observed a lot of inefficiency in the logs connected with Parallel Resource and searching a collection, which Bradley is aware of. It might help to produce a log when you experience a slowdown, noting the time.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 21 2010 7:28 PM | Locked

Here is a log that shows at 20:19 where I start to scroll.  It looks like it is parsing through all my collections each time I scroll.

BTW most of my collections are based on "mytag"

7752.Logos4.log

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 22 2010 6:31 AM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:
One of our goals in beta testing is to collect performance feedback information and determine where we need to make improvements. 

Bradley, this was not 'logged"

Yesterday Logos 4 ran all day as I continually went back and forth from it to other tasks. I had in a separate window the tools that often slow Logos 4 (at least for me- the"follow" tools like "Power" & Explorer etc.)

I was systematically going through a list of 40 resources, using the Right arrow key to load and then switch, one at a time. By evening and at about the 20th I too was getting "slow" results. I happened to look at the Task Manager and Logos4 's Mem use was up over 600,000. I had not seen that since much earlier in beta (sometime during the fall months)

Question:.It is possible that some of the recent additions (perhaps related to Resource associations, etc) have memory 'leaks' that have not yet been noticed?

Thanks

Regards, SteveF

Posts 24926
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 5:16 AM | Locked

CoramDeo:
Here is a log that shows at 20:19 where I start to scroll.  It looks like it is parsing through all my collections each time I scroll.

I replicated your log activity from 22:19 by opening KJV1900 and just scrolling with the mouse. No wonder it was so jerky, repeatedly searching collections and (in my case) storing temporary search results! But that activity continued when I wasn't doing anything!

BTW have you now changed that "all resources" collection to use rating:>=0?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 23 2010 5:54 AM | Locked

Yes, I changed the "all resources" collection, and I turned off the "show in parallel resources" option for all the other collections.  Also, I have some visual filters that when turned off speed things up as well.  Performance is not great, but it's at least usable.  I think ultimately that the "all resource" hack I had was the same impact as about 30 individual collections.

Thanks for your help.

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS