Indexing & Defragging

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 4765
David Paul | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 21 2015 3:10 PM

What effect, if any, does defragging a HD have on the Logos indexing process? Also, if both need to happen, which should be done first?

Posts 26544
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 4:35 PM

I assume you aren't planning to run them concurrently. Defrag has no effect on the indices. I would index first then defrag unless the HD is such a mess as to seriously downgrade the indexer's performance.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18672
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 4:40 PM

MJ. Smith:
Defrag has no effect on the indices. I would index first then defrag

If defrag has no effect on indexes, then I would defrag first so as to clear up more contiguous space on the HD for the index. I presume indexing would be faster that way, and searches might be faster. But with most HDs these days being quite high speed, you probably wouldn't notice significant performance improvement on searches.

Posts 4765
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 6:23 PM

Thank you, ladies. StarStar

Posts 2258
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 8:01 PM

If you leave your Windows machine on all the time, the latest versions include a defrag that will run automatically. You might want to use an alternative defrag program and I think those can also be set to do it for you overnight. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 24958
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 21 2015 10:39 PM

Rosie Perera:
If defrag has no effect on indexes, then I would defrag first so as to clear up more contiguous space on the HD for the index.

I would defrag first. If you haven't re-indexed since you hid some resources the resulting index will be smaller & not fragmented.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS