Bug? New Labeling Feature Does Not Find Bible References

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1176
Liam | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 22 2015 11:39 AM

Searching for Bible references in labels does not seem to work. 

I was excited about the new labeling feature and have been busy labeling scripture references in my library under "exposition," "sermons," and "devotions," so that I can search these 3 label types for scripture references in the future and find expositions, sermons, and devotions on any given text in my library. I have been regulary using the label search feature to search random texts that I study and almost always come up with "no results" despite labeling many resources. After coming up with no results for a long time I tested the search with a label that I had already made. I still came up with no results. 

I'm using the <> search criteria (for example <Bible John 1:29>) and I still come up with nothing despite having the resource with the labeled scripture reference open directly beside the search window. 

What am I doing wrong? I really want this feature to work so that I can search all of my sermons, devotionals, and random Bible expositions in my library. Is this just a bug?

Posts 25209
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 22 2015 8:49 PM

First setup your label

Then set an appropriate bible reference when you highlight or (later) Edit the label

I thought I'd show it can be done in Description even though it was setup as a "Text" type. It works as long as you choose the bible datatype reference in the list (not Mt 5:17) and click Done.

Then set the search:

{Label Personality WHERE Description ~ <Bible Mt 5:17>} 

More typically, though:

{Label Personality WHERE Reference ~ <Bible Mt 5:16>}   

It is counter-intuitive to use the ~ operator but = does not work (I'll enquire if that is a bug).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1176
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 28 2015 6:48 AM

Hey Dave, 

Thanks for the heads up on this. I did not do it this way. I was hoping that I could just highlight over Bible references in the text, and that the search would pick up those references. This way I can do the highlighting when reading from a mobile device (which is where I do most of my reading). The funny thing is that many of the references work the way that I have done it. It's just sometimes (much of the time actually) that they don't. It's strange to me that the method of simply letting the search find the Bible references in the highlighted text does work sometimes, and not at others.

Posts 25209
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 28 2015 2:46 PM

Liam:
The funny thing is that many of the references work the way that I have done it. It's just sometimes (much of the time actually) that they don't.

How were you doing it?

Liam:
I was hoping that I could just highlight over Bible references in the text, and that the search would pick up those references.

You don't need a label for this.

<Bible Ps 45> WITHIN  {Highlight Personality} 

works quite well for me i.e. search on the highlighting style.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 25209
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 28 2015 7:49 PM

Dave Hooton:

You don't need a label for this.

<Bible Ps 45> WITHIN  {Highlight Personality} 

But you can also search on the label associated with the style:

<Bible Ps 45> WITHIN  {Label Personality}

Dave