Indexing question

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3178
Milkman | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 25 2015 11:58 AM

I've had a fair bit of updating going on this past week. A couple of questions:

1. Am I/we to assume that the more resources a person has, the more chances of updates will occur?
  2. So if a person has 100 resources then there will be less updates than a person who has 5000?
  3. Are hidden resources indexed? Without counting my hidden resources I only have just above 7200 books. Counting my hidden ones, I only just above 9000.
  4. Do update occur at "specific" times of the week or randomly?

mm.

mm.

Posts 49
LogosEmployee
Chris Robbers | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 25 2015 12:10 PM
  1. That's a fair assumption.
  2. In general, yes. Of course it entirely depends on what resources are updated.
  3. No.
  4. We are currently trying to adhere to a schedule where we ship updates Wednesday mornings (Bellingham time) every two weeks. This is subject to change, and in exceptional circumstances we may ship outside of this window. Also, new resources are shipped as soon as production is complete. You may also experience updates when updating the software due to the way version minimum requirements work.
Posts 3178
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 25 2015 12:14 PM

Thanks Chris.

Smile

mm.

Posts 10309
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 26 2015 3:14 PM

1. Milkman, you're so funny.  And it's always in the almost dead of winter.

2. I reduced my library by approximately 20% (give or take) with the sole purpose of reducing the updates.  Especially any that have images.  Now, my life is spritely, and I only complain on other people's threads.

3. Bob or somebody indicated that they're considering selective resource downloads, similar to mobiles.  This would be good, instead of downloading and then immediately deleting.

4. But even better, selective resource updates where not system critical, similar to mobiles.  I doubt that's probable.

5. Enjoyed your thread.  Everytime we see a blue norther descending on us, we remind ourselves that you're even colder!

Posts 29
Steve Pruitt | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 26 2015 6:49 PM

2. Sorry to be lazy and not just go explore, but is there a simple way to do this? (It never seemed simple on older versions)

Thanks

Posts 27801
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 26 2015 7:30 PM

Steve Pruitt:
Sorry to be lazy and not just go explore, but is there a simple way to do this?

Perhaps... but I don't know what the "this" is that you are inquiring about. Wink

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 29
Steve Pruitt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 3:27 AM

oops. #2 from Denise:

2. I reduced my library by approximately 20% (give or take) with the sole purpose of reducing the updates.  Especially any that have images.  Now, my life is spritely, and I only complain on other people's threads.

Posts 22081
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 3:39 AM

Steve Pruitt:

oops. #2 from Denise:

If you are speaking about hiding resources details are available at https://wiki.logos.com/Hiding_Books (since 4.6 you can hide multiple resources at a time)

But if you are simply hiding them because you hope that will improve performance I would suggest you have explored other potential issues first.

Posts 3178
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 6:01 AM

Well I try.

Actually our temperatures over the last few days have been minus 14 or so celcius, BUT with the windchill it puts us close to minus 40!! Got to move.

Denise:

1. Milkman, you're so funny.  And it's always in the almost dead of winter.

3. Bob or somebody indicated that they're considering selective resource downloads, similar to mobiles.  This would be good, instead of downloading and then immediately deleting.

4. But even better, selective resource updates where not system critical, similar to mobiles.  I doubt that's probable.

5. Enjoyed your thread.  Everytime we see a blue norther descending on us, we remind ourselves that you're even colder!

mm.

Posts 10309
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 27 2015 8:04 AM

Sorry, Steve!  I assumed like everyone else, that one of our great Canadian friends was the target of interest.

In addition to Graham, I might note for anyone else:

- In terms of the thread title, to reduce indexing (for anyone curious), you typically avoid the resources where Logos has lots of connections. Interlinears are the best example.  Dictionaries, lexicons, and so forth.  Normally, this might be self-defeating.  But I have periodically avoided a cheapy older greek lexicon that I didn't REALLY need, just to avoid the indexing/updating problem.

- In terms of reducing downloads, of course 'not buying' has its merits.  I only mention this from experience.  When you have a mixed Bible software base (to include Kindle), then very quicklly, your downloading, indexing, etc problem drops considerably.  But again with a self-defeating orientation.

- That leads to selective deleting (hiding resources). The easy 'hides' include any of the Perseus volumes you absolutely have no need for.  In my case, I deleted the english versions, keeping the latin and greek for my Logos tools, comparisons, etc.   But quite frankly, deleting the english do almost nothing .... they're rarely tagged (english) and basically text.  Instead, the key volumes to target are the image books.  The easiest targets are the old Logos4 B/W volumes, published from the early 1900s.  They fill up the media searches but I almost never select them (dated, hard to see, boring). And they're heavy downloads and constantly need media tagging. Gone.  That leaves Ramsey.  If you have it.  Heavy tagging, heavy downloads.  But quite useful for NT studies.  Anyone that does much with 'Paul' should have Ramsay. But with a heavy heart, gone.  Luckily I got it at CP prices.

- That leaves the final strategy.  Mobile. Quite often these days, when I buy Logos, I don't download it to the desktop.  Read it on the mobiles.  One download, no indexing, done.   Of course, later ...

Posts 25097
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 2 2015 4:15 PM

Denise:
That leaves the final strategy.  Mobile.

The final strategy (my initial strategy) is to set Automatically Download Updates to NO.

There have been a large number of times where I've avoided an update interrupting the indexing of an earlier update, and I've got a small (Silver+) library.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS